Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 30/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

By the lack of replies in this thread I take it ec was really bad, I think it still shows potential for a Greenland high at 168h

ECH1-168.GIF?04-12

Not really bad and not without interest but we need to see some consistency. Quite like this one from the gfs!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Well at least we would get some more snow before xmas, the Gfs 18z saves the coldest weather until last!

hgt500-1000.png

ukmaxtemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

00Z though Frosty, by this time daffs will be out (south) double digits all the way on GFS from 6th until end (20th)

hgt500-1000.png     h850t850eu.png

Posted

The Op and Ctl at the top end of the ENS in FI , and 3 ice days in there. Really hoping for improvement today, plenty of ENS show this but can't really cling onto FI charts all the time.

IMG_3688.PNG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Definitely for the cold fans the runs are getting worse. The GFS op PV goes from current>D16:

gfsnh-0-6 (1).pnggfsnh-0-384 (2).png  Giving us this: gfs-15-384.png

Although there are one or two GEFS with promise at D16, many are pretty awful, and a good cluster showing the PV becoming a driver. The good point (barely) is that where the PV (s) plants itself (if it does) is not showing nailed for our NW. The mean highlights this:

gensnh-21-1-384 (1).png

Early days on this but up to D10 we have good continuity with reference to cold. None for the UK with the US in for another extended period of deep cold: 

gfsna-15-126.pnggfsna-15-240.png

Again the NH pattern with the two wave attack has sent the cold on the wrong axis for the UK and we end up on the warm side. These shots of cold are very hit and miss for a small island like the UK, but this was a big miss.

The London ens T850s mean keeps above the seasonal average for all 16 days on this run so December CET could be a big number!

MT8_London_ens (2).png

Still uncertainty beyond D7 with regard to surface conditions for the UK, no cold, just whether we get passing wedges of higher pressure giving us a break from the satellite LP systems spinning off the vortex; so the SE more favoured for drier interludes in that setup.

Overall little change in FI suggesting a sea change to cold for the UK.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

00Z though Frosty, by this time daffs will be out (south) double digits all the way on GFS from 6th until end (20th)

The mean looks colder though:)

Posted

Notice the little cluster of ENS around day 11 close to freezing.

IMG_3689.PNG

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Notice the little cluster of ENS around day 11 close to freezing.

IMG_3689.PNG

That's from yesterday;)

Posted
29 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

On the higher side of the ENS from the 12th so dont hang your hat on that

Edited by Banbury

Posted
Just now, ArHu3 said:

That's from yesterday;)

True, next one due out soon so will be interesting to see how it compares.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

00z GEFS H500 and anomalies go from this at T+240

IMG_0012.PNG

to this at T+360 ... could be be worse

IMG_0011.PNG

My point exactly 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

But I think genuinely that organisations need to completely stop offering long range forecasts because they look for signals and given the strength of these signals from the 2 best models out there then if this really falls flat on its face then shouldn't this be used as a genuine reason to stop it because I'm sorry it really is painfully embarrassing for all. 

People go on saying watch toys get thrown etc but in reality the is a weather forum where enthusiasts heir there views and listen to the professionals for guidance and for it to collapse on the second day of winter is absolutely atrocious I'm afraid. 

This isn't me throwing toys out its me simply saying what everyone's thinking. 

Of course it's not a done deal yet but it's just blooming typical that this happens time after time. 

The crum of comfort here been that we can't trust any signal or any forecast that says cold or mild in 6 wks time etc and the weather makes mugs out of everyone and we wil just have to wait and see which to be fair is the better more exciting way in my opinion anyway. 

The ens products have returned to blocked within a fortnight though ?  The blocking seems more likely to be a bit more ne as opposed to nw at the moment which I believe would tie in better with how glosea sees things.  I find the ECM hemispheric profile excellent for coldies at day seven which is as far as anyone should look on an op (quite why the veritable dr Cohen thinks an op at day 16 is worth a public tweet is beyond me unless it represents his personal view of where we are headed). 

yes it gets milder but we all knew that for several days now. The consistency of GEFS to build the anomoly to our ne is notable. As has always been the issue, advecting deep cold to the uk will depend on heights to our south. Models are consistently showing these to be dropping away through week 2 but we know from experience that this will be the most difficult part of getting the white stuff to our little island. 

• Like 8

Posted

What I take from the GEFS today is the growing trend that 

- the PV is going to become more formidable around mid-month (as IDO mentions) and

- the PV is generally going to be kept away from us by heights pushing up from our south.

So we have these two slightly contradictory factors. How will they interact? I'm starting to think the most likely outcome will be some sort of UK high, possibly centred slightly to our east or west - but probably not too far North of us. 

Such a scenario does provide cold possibilities but not as good as proper HLB.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

But that mean you show firstly if you are absolutely intent on using the mean 300+ hours away which is simply laughable but each to there own you will never stop and that's you choice but it's simply put ridiculous when using something so far away to try to make a valid point in my opionion but just for the crack then ok let's talk about the mean some 300 hrs away. What does it show? 

A vortex well away from Greenland, with a suggestion of heights north of the uk.  It shows the usual home of the vortex is miles away and you can see the push on the vortex with the main core sitting in arctic Canada. 

Probably the best mean for a while in my view. 

There is little to say about the next 10 days plus TBH, there is relatively good agreement. So I am just thinking aloud as to what follows. Yes a D16 op chart is not much use but it does highlight that the upcoming period may not go cold as you seem to think. And its a bit rich as I am sure if the 0z op showed blizzards and Arctic winds there would be hundreds of posts referring to it.

Anyway as I did point out all in la la land, and we wait to see the ECM ens, as the GEFS were pretty muted for cold.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
13 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ens products have returned to blocked within a fortnight though ?  The blocking seems more likely to be a bit more ne as opposed to nw at the moment which I believe would tie in better with how glosea sees things.  I find the ECM hemispheric profile excellent for coldies at day seven which is as far as anyone should look on an op (quite why the veritable dr Cohen thinks an op at day 16 is worth a public tweet is beyond me unless it represents his personal view of where we are headed). 

yes it gets milder but we all knew that for several days now. The consistency of GEFS to build the anomoly to our ne is notable. As has always been the issue, advecting deep cold to the uk will depend on heights to our south. Models are consistently showing these to be dropping away through week 2 but we know from experience that this will be the most difficult part of getting the white stuff to our little island. 

Completely agree. That comment there from me is 4 weeks old for some reason every time I go to make a reply it keeps on bringing this post back I had no idea It had done it again hahah what a plonker 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

...erm, that's the output for De Bilt near Utrecht! 

Yep, I should have stated that. It can give a rough idea of what's happening in the NW of Europe though - although understand sometimes mainland Europe can be very different from our island. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, I should have stated that. It can give a rough idea of what's happening in the NW of Europe though - although understand sometimes mainland Europe can be very different from our island. 

See my addition to post above.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 00z mean shows a colder trend beyond next weeks mild spell.:) The Gfs 00z op was a mild outlier in low res..it doesn't look like the mild weather will last long!

21_84_2mtmpmax.png

21_108_2mtmpmax.png

21_132_2mtmpmax.png

21_132_850tmp.png

21_156_2mtmpmax.png

21_180_850tmp.png

21_180_2mtmpmax.png

21_204_850tmp.png

21_204_2mtmpmax.png

21_228_850tmp.png

21_228_2mtmpmax.png

21_252_2mtmpmax.png

21_252_850tmp.png

21_276_2mtmpmax.png

21_300_2mtmpmax.png

21_300_850tmp.png

21_324_2mtmpmax.png

21_348_2mtmpmax.png

21_372_2mtmpmax.png

21_372_850tmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, IDO said:

There is little to say about the next 10 days plus TBH, there is relatively good agreement. So I am just thinking aloud as to what follows. Yes a D16 op chart is not much use but it does highlight that the upcoming period may not go cold as you seem to think. And its a bit rich as I am sure if the 0z op showed blizzards and Arctic winds there would be hundreds of posts referring to it.

Anyway as I did point out all in la la land, and we wait to see the ECM ens, as the GEFS were pretty muted for cold.

What agreement at day 10? 

Here are the 10 day charts for GFS and ECM 

gfsnh-0-240-3.png

ECH1-240-3.gif

I see very little agreement there.

Unless you were referring to something else, if so, what?

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

What agreement at day 10? 

Here are the 10 day charts for GFS and ECM 

gfsnh-0-240-3.png

ECH1-240-3.gif

I see very little agreement there.

Unless you were referring to something else, if so, what?

Sorry but all I see are two charts showing a similar long wave pattern with differences you would expect re surface conditions and minute. Both have a mini ridge over Europe, a pocket of weak heights over the Bering Sea area, both have spillage of the PV to two main vortices, both have cold on the wrong axis for the UK.

Obviously I didn't mean they were mirror images, at D10 you surely cannot expect that? By D10 I would expect a bit of shuffling between the two but probably a very similar profile.

What are you seeing that I have missed?

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2