Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 1 and flight options

bristolstormchaser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornadoes, Interesting Cloud Formation
1 hour ago, Cloud Iris said:

The photos/videos look great. I've been following the netweather chases online for a few years now, plus a whole load of other chasers on Facebook. Seeing a tornado would be awesome but I'm most excited to see supercells and lightning. Also, I use the Cloudspotter app (anyone else?) so I'm hoping to bank some shelf clouds for my collection. 

So, Paul mentioned a dinner the night before - is that the night of the 9th? 

I'm so excited but have no idea what to pack. I know it's likely to be hot but might we also run into lower temperatures? Do I need to pack my fleece?

the other thing I'm torn over is whether to bring my tripod. I'm going to hate lugging it around but on the other hand - will I regret not bringing it when it comes to photographing lightning? Do people often bring tripods? 

Christina x

Hi Christina,

I'm bringing my tripod. Will need it if we get to see some nighttime storm activity. Fits nicely in my holdall. 

If you are taking a dslr and a video camera get a second plate for the tripod. Saves messing about .

Don't forget something waterproof also.

MCA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hi Christina,

I've managed with a travel tripod in the past which just fits in my camera bag. It's broken now so I'm unsure whether to keep space for a normal one or get a new small one, but I'd say definitely take one, it's pretty essential for night time lightning unless you want to balance your camera on walls or railings or the top of the car!

I think the meal Paul mentioned on the night before is the 8th. The tour officially starts on the 9th but some of us are getting there early.

Posted

Walmart sell tripods fairly cheaply, we've had more than a few guests who just buy one and leave them in the USA when they go home to save squeezing them in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Tripod is a must for sure! I got a decent one in Walmart two years back, down from $55 to just $10!

Posted

I usually hit Sainsburys or The Post Office and take out $500. Then usually, you end up passing a cashpoint at some point or other, and I pull out another few hundred if I feel I might need it. I just take the hit with the charge of using my card abroad, but I would tell the bank first, so they know to expect a withdrawal from the states. Also, I'd always try and keep at least $100 out in cash (a.k.a. don't spend your last note and then look for a cashpoint, as it could be a few days if its busy with chasing!)

Hope that helps!

Posted

And a Tripod is an essential piece of kit, even if you just buy a $20 one from Walmart leave it in the boot and use it as and when, and you can even leave it for other guests and not worry about taking it home.

We usually go out for dinner closeby to the Hotel on the 9th to get to know each other and chat about was is and what is not expected.

Not long now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'd recommend a currency card such as Caxton instead of taking cash. More secure and better exchange rates. Although the exchange rate is now dreadful thanks to brexit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Regarding the amount of money to take, unfortunately the pound has dived somewhat since the brexit vote :-( However as Mike said, around $500 should see you through. Take a mixture of cash and card. I applied for a Halifax Clarity Card which has no fees and charges you the exchange rate on the day you do the transaction. The rate is pretty good and the card performs pretty well in the league of best cards to take abroad. Cash wise, i'd take a couple of hundred dollars just for flexibility.

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

And a Tripod is an essential piece of kit, even if you just buy a $20 one from Walmart leave it in the boot and use it as and when, and you can even leave it for other guests and not worry about taking it home.

We usually go out for dinner closeby to the Hotel on the 9th to get to know each other and chat about was is and what is not expected.

Not long now

I like the sound of what was formerly Lees Chicken and Catfish Shack ;-)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Think we went to Aspen Creek restaurant just a short walk down the road from the Best Western, Irving last time I stayed there a few years back.- was reasonably good I remember.

Always a novelty walking anywhere in the mid-west though, most locals drive even the shortest distances so they don't get hot and bothered out of their permanent air-con environments they live in half the year

Edited by Nick F

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Think we went to Aspen Creek restaurant just a short walk down the road from the Best Western, Irving last time I stayed there a few years back.- was reasonably good I remember.

Always a novelty walking anywhere in the mid-west though, most locals drive even the shortest distances so they don't get hot and bothered out of their permanent air-con environments they live in half the year

The Aspen Creek has some excellent reviews on google. 

Not fussy really, as long as there's a couple of cold frosty ones available. 

Posted

Aspen Creek is a cracking place. Cheap beer, good food and sports on TV, pretty much next door to the hotel.

Posted
15 hours ago, Nick L said:

I'd recommend a currency card such as Caxton instead of taking cash. More secure and better exchange rates. Although the exchange rate is now dreadful thanks to brexit. 

I had big issues using the Post Office travel card last time. This sounds like a much better idea. you have an issues with it?

Posted

Caxton's are really good - it's what we use out there for everything, booking hotels, petrol etc etc. I also use one personally when I'm away and have never had issues. 

• Like 1

Posted

I only had issues with it when I lost my wallet in Iowa :oops:

Posted
11 hours ago, Paul said:

Caxton's are really good - it's what we use out there for everything, booking hotels, petrol etc etc. I also use one personally when I'm away and have never had issues. 

Thank you I will,look into getting one 

Posted

I back up Caxton. Pre-load before you go when you think the rate is good and you'll always get one of the best rates available anyway. Easy to manage online to top-up, etc.

Luckilly I predicted the Brexit effect and got a transfer loaded on 18th June last year at $1.43/£. Not looking so good now though.

• Like 1

Posted

How do Caxton cards work? Might be safer than taking $500 in cash...

Posted
1 hour ago, mikeofmacc said:

They are a pre-paid credit card. You can load an amount of dollars on to them as and when required. The card can be used in any place that would typically take a credit card, but you can also use it at an ATM to draw out dollars if you need to. Top-ups can be done online and the money becomes available to use shortly after.

Posted
4 hours ago, mikeofmacc said:

I am doing both. if you lose your card then you could be stuffed. 

Posted
On 18/03/2017 at 14:24, icbinb said:

They are a pre-paid credit card. You can load an amount of dollars on to them as and when required. The card can be used in any place that would typically take a credit card, but you can also use it at an ATM to draw out dollars if you need to. Top-ups can be done online and the money becomes available to use shortly after.

They are excellent until you lose them in a Mountain Dew-related incident.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

So guys and girls, less than 5 weeks to go before tour 1 kicks off, can't wait! I think nearly everyone on tour 1 has said hi on this forum, is there anyone else wanting to stick their head above the parapet? ;-) Maybe just add your names on this page if you feel happy to.

Also, Paul Botten and Nick Finnis are coming out as staff. Who else is coming out to drive/navigate etc?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just over 3 weeks until we kick off the Stormchase 2017 season. Who is arriving when ? If your on this forum pop in here and put down if your arriving on the Monday or the Tuesday for example. If you have any questions about the trip just fire away in this thread.

Still a little bit early for specifics on what early May is looking like unless you look at the CFS Which at 21 days out will not give a true representation anyway really.

Next few weeks looks active enough with risks this week on Wednesday and Friday looking the best at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I'm arriving on Monday afternoon and staying at the Best Western west airport freeway. Can't believe how close it is now! 

• Like 1