Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Exactly - it’ll be all done with in another month and we can all enjoy 6 months of dark mornings and nights! Hip hip, hooray!

• Like 3

Just now, mb018538 said:

Exactly - it’ll be all done with in another month and we can all enjoy 6 months of dark mornings and nights! Hip hip, hooray!

Haha, yes, can’t wait for months of darkness, wind, rain, mud and slush, if lucky. What’s not to look forward to, being cooped up indoors? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Haha, yes, can’t wait for months of darkness, wind, rain, mud and slush, if lucky. What’s not to look forward to, being cooped up indoors? 

Yep can’t wait until I have to start paying for my central heating again!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Yep can’t wait until I have to start paying for my central heating again!

Should have installed solar panels then.😁

• Like 1

Winter , it's God's sick joke on humanity months of nothingness and strictly come dancing 😭

2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Should have installed solar panels then.😁

Already got those!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Already got those!

You must be quids  in then with all the sun we have had so far.😉

43 minutes ago, markyo said:

And whats the name of this thread? The word after Model and before ramp.? i'll still be here,sorry to disappoint you.😁

marky marky mark mark mark, lucky you don't live in the south

33 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Despite northerners claiming southerners are ‘soft’, most are not miserable whingers and they’ll cope perfectly well with the return to warmth and sunshine, being able to enjoy many outdoor pursuits once again. After all, it is summer. It won’t last forever!

Are you saying i moan about the weather!??. And am a miserable whinger!? ......I'm gobsmacked🤣

Ps hope your partners on the mend with his finger. I did that once on the North coast of Scotland,wouldn't have minded so much but the van i was in had a sliding door!. Still bloody hurt!

1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You must be quids  in then with all the sun we have had so far.😉

Definitely been a good year for the electric!

• Like 1

Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

marky marky mark mark mark, lucky you don't live in the south

Lottery winner you could say🙂

On 31/07/2018 at 14:29, cheese said:

That's exactly what we had for most of July and people like markyo were still complaining about it being too warm, though I agree that most people would be perfectly happy with such conditions, especially if it's with low humidity as was the case in late June and most of July (except the final 10 or so days when it became more humid).

In any case, be careful what you wish for - the way the model output is slowly deteriorating, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if August ends up a cool, wet, dull month, which would certainly benefit nobody.

Apologies Moderators in advance!:sorry:

Where do I even get going with this one!?  You're in Leeds yet you're lecturing people in the south east that they were moaning about nothing as it wasn't that hot...in Leeds!  I don't remember most of us complaining when it was 25-28 degrees with 30% humidity - we moaned when it hit 34C with 45-50% humidity and, despite keeping curtains closed through the day and opening windows once it cooled-off got slightly less oppressive in the evening, we still had to try to get to sleep with the temperature between 28 and 30C even at midnight.  I don't care if you discount the fact that most of us who were struggling have valid medical reasons for so doing (in my case medication that affects my ability to deal with heat); what I want to know is why you're so insistent on the south east hitting 35C/40C/whatever level you desire when you don't live there?  I'm not being aggressive or sarcastic; I'm genuinely baffled.

Secondly, I was told off for saying that heat-lovers were trying to enforce their preferences on the rest of us by repeatedly stating, in some Orwellian manner, that we all think the same way.  I was informed that I was trying to impose my preference for not having heat exhaustion and feeling ill all the time cooler conditions with some rain on others, but, I'm sorry - claiming that a cool, wet August "would certainly benefit nobody" when farmers are desperate for more rain* and many of us here are dreading another heawave over the weekend and through next week is an attempt to persuade others by repeatedly stating something that is demonstrably not accurate. 

I'm sorry that I am weak and inferior and do not meet your standards for heat-tolerance; I suspect you could probably eat food so spicy that it would burn my digestive tract and you can probably leap tall buildings in a single bound, but please show a little consideration for those inferior beings such as myself!

*Links:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45018746

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/01/uk-farmers-allowed-to-take-more-water-from-rivers-as-heatwave-continues

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Are you saying i moan about the weather!??. And am a miserable whinger!? ......I'm gobsmacked🤣

Ps hope your partners on the mend with his finger. I did that once on the North coast of Scotland,wouldn't have minded so much but the van i was in had a sliding door!. Still bloody hurt!

I’d never call you a miserable whinger 😂

Thank you, he’s struggled at work on the pc this week, nasty injury. It’s still weeping but on the mend. Off camping this weekend so I’m happy it’ll be warm! Hope you’re keeping well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Now you see, I could argue that the real softies here are able-bodied people who moan about a standard British winter as they cant get out and about, where I, in a powered wheelchair, manage in all but heavy snow with just a shower cap over my wheelchairs' control unit and warm/waterproof clothes.😂🤭☺️

• Like 3

Another GFS run that ends the heat, and possibly who knows the summer next wednesday, been showing often, UKMO going that way too, wait for EC later, but looks quite vile

gfs-0-174.png?12

Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Another GFS run that ends the heat, and possibly who knows the summer next wednesday, been showing often, UKMO going that way too, wait for EC later, but looks quite vile

gfs-0-174.png?12

Somewhat premature on the "possibly ends summer" argument, surely?  Anyway, even if it does, haven't we had an unusual, possibly extreme, dry hot summer already?

18 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Definitely been a good year for the electric!

As long as we all ignore February and March?❄️

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Now you see, I could argue that the real softies here are able-bodied people who moan about a standard British winter as they cant get out and about, where I, in a powered wheelchair, manage in all but heavy snow with just a shower cap over my wheelchairs' control unit and warm/waterproof clothes.😂🤭☺️

You could argue that! Obviously, some weather conditions would challenge you more than others. A standard British winter isn’t much fun though, is it? Compared to summer sunshine and warmth, anyway. Think the majority of us agree that 35C anywhere without AC isn’t pleasant, but this summer we’ve only had a few days like that. 

Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Somewhat premature on the "possibly ends summer" argument, surely?  Anyway, even if it does, haven't we had an unusual, possibly extreme, dry hot summer already?

Yes maybe, but never know, August is known for cooler Atlantic weather, especially further away from the SE you go

feel as though we will have to pay for this good summer

Just now, stainesbloke said:

You could argue that! Obviously, some weather conditions would challenge you more than others. A standard British winter isn’t much fun though, is it? Compared to summer sunshine and warmth, anyway. Think the majority of us agree that 35C anywhere without AC isn’t pleasant, but this summer we’ve only had a few days like that. 

I think it's the degree to which conditions deviate from average that causes difficulties.  Just as the Somerset Levels couldn't deal with vast amounts of winter rain a few winters back, and many of us struggled with snow depth in March, so 33-35C combined with near-50% humidity affects the country as our houses, agriculture and lifestyles aren't adapted to it.  By contrast, some rain, wind and chilly weather in autumn and winter is closer to our usual.  Of course, that can still be bad news for someone with SAD, but a light box is cheaper than installing air conditioning or moving to a house designed to keep the interior cool in the heat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes maybe, but never know, August is known for cooler Atlantic weather, especially further away from the SE you go

feel as though we will have to pay for this good summer

I think you'll find that many are quite happy to pay for some cooler, wetter weather, though I'm not asking for three weeks of continuous rain, just slightly cooler temperatures (mid-upper 20s rather than mid-30s) and a few wet nights to help farmers/growers and gardeners like me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think you'll find that many are quite happy to pay for some cooler, wetter weather, though I'm not asking for three weeks of continuous rain, just slightly cooler temperatures (mid-upper 20s rather than mid-30s) and a few wet nights to help farmers/growers and gardeners like me.

I would be happy with cooler early to mid 20's but DRY

8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I would be happy with cooler early to mid 20's but DRY

Some livestock farmers are sending animals to slaughter already as they're using their winter silage now (no grass growth) and they'll run out long before next spring.  Crops, especially root vegetables and salads but even cereals around here are failing as well - the rain we had over the weekend and early this week will keep them going for a few days, but more hot, dry weather will cause them to wilt again.  If we have to import most of our food over the winter and most of next year to compensate for the effects of this drought, our weekly shop will become much more expensive.  I think if I hear people on the news this winter moaning about the cost of vegetables in the supermarkets I'm going to get annoyed.  I really don't think people in our modern, urbanised era when many people have almost no contact with or understanding of nature understand that we're still vulnerable to climatic extremes.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Some livestock farmers are sending animals to slaughter already as they're using their winter silage now (no grass growth) and they'll run out long before next spring.  Crops, especially root vegetables and salads but even cereals around here are failing as well - the rain we had over the weekend and early this week will keep them going for a few days, but more hot, dry weather will cause them to wilt again.  If we have to import most of our food over the winter and most of next year to compensate for the effects of this drought, our weekly shop will become much more expensive.  I think if I hear people on the news this winter moaning about the cost of vegetables in the supermarkets I'm going to get annoyed.  I really don't think people in our modern, urbanised era when many people have almost no contact with or understanding of nature understand that we're still vulnerable to climatic extremes.

..... and yet we are still destroying good agricultural land by building on it... i know we need more housing, but destroying fertile land? the greatest act of stupidity we can inflict on our descendants .

• Like 2