Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

lol.

Staying on topic in here, ECM240hrs is on the cool side but nice in the sunshine(for those that like it)

ay, it wont be too bad, assuming it verifies, and possibly mean 'no more heat' if that establishes there?.. tbh i dont care much now. i cannot complain at the cracking summer we have enjoyed and im not fan of (mid onwards) august/september.

Re the comments on the main model thread looking at anomaly charts and mentioning August 2006... I could live with that, actually. Nothing special for August, but the first two-thirds of September 2006 was spectacular, with 30 °C in mid-month!

2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well, the experts on here say EC is top model, but steve murr expert, he was saying heat will hit wasn't he

well imho an 'expert' is one with a proven track record of getting predictions right.

but i thought mr murr was pointing out what was needed for records to be broken, more then a certain prediction?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Re the comments on the main model thread looking at anomaly charts and mentioning August 2006... I could live with that, actually. Nothing special for August, but the first two-thirds of September 2006 was spectacular, with 30 °C in mid-month!

well we would have to live with it! lol, but i didnt like it much. too dull here, and atm the anomaly charts dont support an august 06 pattern, they would need to intensify the western ridge quite a lot. so hopefully that wont happen.

of course that ridging now expected to our west could transfer slowly east and produce a lengthy settled and hot spell.

3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

well imho an 'expert' is one with a proven track record of getting predictions right.

I prefer the older definition, mushy - an 'ex' is an unknown quantity, and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure!:drinks:

• Like 5

This evening's EPS mean anomaly. I think it's failing to pick up that Mars is in a retrograde orbit.

eps.thumb.png.8d4e53727e20ad3056be9c778dae5c5f.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

An average August would be okay but the sunshine levels of the past 2-3 months have made me realise how below par UK summers really are. Our temperatures would be fine if the sun just shone more often. 

And a below average month rainfall-wise would be appreciated - not extremely so, but maybe 30-35mm.

Anything but a very cloudy, wet month.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cheese said:

An average August would be okay but the sunshine levels of the past 2-3 months have made me realise how below par UK summers really are. Our temperatures would be fine if the sun just shone more often. 

And a below average month rainfall-wise would be appreciated - not extremely so, but maybe 30-35mm.

Aye , don't want soggy cheese 🤗

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well, the experts on here say EC is top model, but steve murr expert, he was saying heat will hit wasn't he

He doesn't post often in the Summer but when he does he over hypes things as usual. Tamara (if you can figure out all the jargon) is a more sensible poster as are a few others like singularity. They don't normally hype up records might be broken and other extreme outcomes like a Hollywood movie when the reality is we did not even break the July record never mind the all time one from 2003.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Thank you. The injury does sound a bit silly but I know it was very painful, he’s not a complainer but is squeamish. Thankfully, no more howling winds for the foreseeable.

Oh he ll be fine. I find whiskey very useful in painful situations like that.

I must confess I have enjoyed this last few days weather,over the allotment just now,nice wind and a passing shower,pleasant relief.

Amazing crop of spuds given the extreme dry conditions. Only watered them twice in 10 weeks!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cheese said:

Quite. Sunshine, or the lack of it, is by far the biggest negative to our climate. It’s so important to have as many hours of sunshine as possible in the warmer months, as winter here is nearly always a very depressing season. I’m hoping August is sunnier than average, even if we don’t have much heat.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Oh he ll be fine. I find whiskey very useful in painful situations like that.

I must confess I have enjoyed this last few days weather,over the allotment just now,nice wind and a passing shower,pleasant relief.

Amazing crop of spuds given the extreme dry conditions. Only watered them twice in 10 weeks!!

He’ll be ok. His thumb is so swollen, looks nasty. Still bleeding but hopefully on the mend.

Are your crops doing ok? Glad your spuds did well. My tomatoes had a bit of wind damage from the weekend, think they enjoyed the rain, though. I didn’t enjoy the cool, cloudy feel to today, bring back the warm sun ☀️ 

Edited by stainesbloke

26 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

He doesn't post often in the Summer but when he does he over hypes things as usual. Tamara (if you can figure out all the jargon) is a more sensible poster as are a few others like singularity. They don't normally hype up records might be broken and other extreme outcomes like a Hollywood movie when the reality is we did not even break the July record never mind the all time one from 2003.

and after hyping it up, and it dosen't happen, no posts for a few days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stainesbloke said:

He’ll be ok. His thumb is so swollen, looks nasty. Still bleeding but hopefully on the mend.

Are your crops doing ok? Glad your spuds did well. My tomatoes had a bit of wind damage from the weekend, think they enjoyed the rain, though. I didn’t enjoy the cool, cloudy feel to today, bring back the warm sun ☀️ 

It was a rough weekend , canibis plants devastated though poppy and coca plants doing fine ...😎

• Like 5

as it has cooled down back in the UK it has got hot here..currently under a heat warning and a severe thunderstorm watch 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

It was a rough weekend , canibis plants devastated though poppy and coca plants doing fine ...😎

Drug dealer 😁

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes,rather pleases with the spuds. Tomatoes got damaged at weekend as well but tied them up.

Looks like we gonna get some rain tonight then thats it for the foreseeable. Beeb going for 33c for us on Friday,gonna book the day off and head up to the common,always a bit of cooling breeze up there.

I just realized it's not the SE Thread. Oooops!!!

• Like 2

What intrigues me is if we can have a decent warm dry August which seems to have been the missing link for so long we have had great July's & great Septembers but not a half decent August since 2003 . It looked as much of a certain as it could a few days ago that a decent August was in prospect it just feels it might be less certain......

Overnight runs look good to me - should be very pleasant without being too hot. Perfect. 

As the days go by the return to any prolonged heat looks less and less likely. Starting to shape up to be a much more bearable pleasant month than the previous 2 in this long Summer!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, markyo said:

As the days go by the return to any prolonged heat looks less and less likely. Starting to shape up to be a much more bearable pleasant month than the previous 2 in this long Summer!

That sounds perfect.   I love fine summer weather, but not extreme heat where you cant go out, can do anything and cant sleep at night.   A couple of fine weeks with temps 25-28c max would be lovely.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

What intrigues me is if we can have a decent warm dry August which seems to have been the missing link for so long we have had great July's & great Septembers but not a half decent August since 2003 . It looked as much of a certain as it could a few days ago that a decent August was in prospect it just feels it might be less certain......

All depends what happens with the high pressure area and corresponding heat low to the south. Part of me would like to see how high the temperatures could get but likewise, I'd be quite happy for a more prolonged dry and sunny spell with less high temperatures if that means settled for longer.

15 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

and after hyping it up, and it dosen't happen, no posts for a few days

He be gone now until winter comes,then be screaming that the day after tomorrow scenario will be hitting the U.K.He he only joking Steve🤣