Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

6 minutes ago, markyo said:

But the odds are lower,each week that goes by the longer those odds......which i am sooooo happy about. First time in 2 months i've felt alive! So much more energy.

I would say the odds start to decrease slightly after the 1st week in August, but not significantly so until further into the month. We have dry conditions (despite the thunderstorms) and very warm SSTs. Add to thst the serious heat to our south and the jet stream being far north. This summer is far from ordinary. The Atlantic has got its toe in the door for a couple of days, and will quickly be evicted!

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 1

It's the humidity and general design of our homes which makes heatwaves unbearable. It was noticeable coming back from high 30's in California to a London Heathrow in high 20's the other year. I would happily spend a day in 40ºC low humidity heat than our humid yuck that is unescapable without air con.

Can't really moan about it though as this heatwave and a decent Summer was long overdue, it's almost as rare as a proper Winter these days!

27 minutes ago, markyo said:

But the odds are lower,each week that goes by the longer those odds......which i am sooooo happy about. First time in 2 months i've felt alive! So much more energy.

Hiya,

You gave me a bit of encouragement when I was suffering with SAD in a long run of grey days in December and explained your reverse SAD. Glad you are enjoying the weather today. I’m hoping high pressure comes back as have a two week family holiday in north west Wales starting Friday. Low 20s, dry with lots of sun would be perfect though and probably suit everyone except the record chasers. Sadly we can’t influence what the weather will do though!

Edited by Maz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

This summer is far from ordinary.

Yep your bang on there,i remember 76....just. This feels like it in some ways. To be honest anything could happen apart from a wash out August,that isn't going to happen,if it did i would be gobsmacked. A moderation of the heat,more rainfall(not huge amounts) is odds on.

1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I think the fine weather will continue for the first 2 weeks of August then, whoosh early Autumn.

Fair bit of ‘whoosh’ today with that unnecessary wind, same tomorrow. Though still warm in the sun. Hopefully, autumn will appear in autumn, not summer.

25 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I would say the odds start to decrease slightly after the 1st week in August, but not significantly so until further into the month. We have dry conditions (despite the thunderstorms) and very warm SSTs. Add to thst the serious heat to our south and the jet stream being far north. This summer is far from ordinary. The Atlantic has got its toe in the door for a couple of days, and will quickly be evicted!

Hope so! Am nowhere near done with summer, yet. Just have to think back to the misery of January to start feeling bilious 🤢🤮

2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fair bit of ‘whoosh’ today with that unnecessary wind, same tomorrow. Though still warm in the sun. Hopefully, autumn will appear in autumn, not summer.

All the great summers have had blips, 1995 had plenty. Let's hope this is the last cool weather until September!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maz said:

Hiya,

You gave me a bit of encouragement when I was suffering with SAD in a long run of grey days in December and exclaimed your reverse SAD. Glad you are enjoying the weather today. I’m hoping high pressure comes back as have a two week family holiday in north west Wales starting Friday. Low 20s, dry with lots of sun would be perfect though and probably suit everyone except the record chasers. Sadly we can’t influence what the weather will do though!

Fingers crossed you should have a good 2 weeks! Those temps sound roughly right hopefully,perfect for a family holiday.For me it's like having a old friend back this weather,such a relief. Life is so much better. As for the record chasers....least said the better. (i include the ones in Winter in that!)

Really sorry to hear you suffer from SAD in the Winter,until you go through it nobody can truly understand how hard it is. Hope this weather is making up for it in some way.

1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

All the great summers have had blips, 1995 had plenty. Let's hope this is the last cool weather until September!

Indeed. Can’t complain about this summer, it’s been fabulous! Another month or two of warm sun would be perfect 

9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well summer appeared in spring this year, unusual year all round so far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

We certainly had a warm May, made up for winter in March 

13 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Maybe we will have summer until the end of October, a three week autumn then a cold winter!

• Like 1

Lovely and fresh this morning. The 'howling' wind is back and very welcome it is too. Respite from the heat and much more comfortable. More days like this are needed. :)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

We certainly had a warm May, made up for winter in March 

April was 2 degrees above average(cet)

11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Maybe we will have summer until the end of October, a three week autumn then a cold winter!

Maybe!

24 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

April was 2 degrees above average(cet)

But it was largely miserable 

37 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

We can dream. If the blocked scenario continues into winter, could be a lot for the coldies to enjoy

39 minutes ago, simshady said:

Lovely and fresh this morning. The 'howling' wind is back and very welcome it is too. Respite from the heat and much more comfortable. More days like this are needed.

Feels fresh, actually a bit cool in that unpleasant wind. Still warm in the sun. Warmer weather returning from Tuesday, thankfully. 

45 minutes ago, simshady said:

Lovely and fresh this morning. The 'howling' wind is back and very welcome it is too. Respite from the heat and much more comfortable. More days like this are needed.

Indeed. Good opportunity to air the house windows wide open. 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. Good opportunity to air the house windows wide open. 😁

not if house faces north, southerly breeze here, S facing will be cold, 

6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not if house faces north, southerly breeze here, S facing will be cold, 

Do you only have windows on one side of your house? Open two opposite windows, air will flow through.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But it was largely miserable 

Wet yes, there was a notable warm/hot spell 16th-22nd one of the warmest on record, a sign of what was to come perhaps.

Sunny spells and 18C here - feels cool with that blustery wind! Tomorrow looks horrifying according to the Met with heavy rain - hopefully it's not as bad as that.

Next week looks nice.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Tomorrow could be the worst day of the entire summer. Which is typical as we were supposed to be going to the beach for my dad’s birthday.

People may moan about tenperatures in the 30s, but they don’t prevent you from fulfilling outdoor plans, as long as you are sensible about it.

Everyone stuck indoors on a summer Sunday - for those who think that’s good weather, I’ll never understand your logic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Tomorrow could be the worst day of the entire summer. Which is typical as we were supposed to be going to the beach for my dad’s birthday.

People may moan about tenperatures in the 30s, but they don’t prevent you from fulfilling outdoor plans, as long as you are sensible about it.

Everyone stuck indoors on a summer Sunday - for those who think that’s good weather, I’ll never understand your logic.

Actually, when temperatures and humidity were like they were over the past 48 hours down here, it was impossible to get anything done without breaking into a sweat and feeling ill. It was hell. Not a single person I've spoken to was enjoying it. Perhaps the heat without the humidity but it was a bit overkill!

Edited by mrjolly
  • Like 3