Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: spalding, sth lincs
  • Location: spalding, sth lincs
    8 minutes ago, TEITS said:

    I doubt its 2.7C.

    -2.2C here at the moment and much of E Anglia is currently below freezing. Any thawing will be due to the strength of the sun rather than the temps.

    I cannot believe some of the moaning. This is an exceptional cold spell when you take into account the synoptics, upper temps, thickness values, time of year. For example the 06Z GFS is suggesting -17C upper temps tomorrow across E Anglia.

    GFSOPUK06_36_2.png

    Regardless of the temps, dewpoints any lying snow will thaw under the sunshine due to the time of year.

    Such a shame today I have read posts from people complaining about those posting in the MOD thread. Like I say this is exceptional but the time of year is watering down the effects on falling and lying snow. Besides this nobody posting on the MOD thread can be accurately predict how much snow will fall.

    I am as much of a coldie as anyone on here. Frankly though the way some behave is pathetic in my opinion. Much more important things in life than snow!

     

    i am very much in the cold camp, but over the last cpl of days the metoffice forecast that i go by has really not been close to the mark to be fair, there is no way that currently its -1c with a windchill of -6c.lol

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 12k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
    16 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

    metoffice website,  location, springfields outlet village and festival gardens, as of now we should it should be -1c and its currently +2.6c, not a breath of wind and beautiful blue skies, snow about an inch deep but thawing very quickly, not buying into the heavy snow later stuff, lol. 

    I do suspect, looking at official weather sites around that site that it is recording a value too high. Yes, of course the sun will melt snow at this time of year, it is almost March. The sun is way higher than 2 months ago. Perhaps your expectations are too high. A number of Met forecasts have talked of the cold in relation to the time of year.

    This covers your area and is well worth noting

    There is the potential for 5-10 cm of snow in places though nearby locations may see only small accumulations of 0-2 cm

    Edited by johnholmes
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: spalding, sth lincs
  • Location: spalding, sth lincs

    but on a lighter note, it has been great that many have seen snow, and my son is hoping there is enough left to make a snowman after school, but my personal opinion is that to call this week a beast from the east is just slightly making it sound worse than it is, a cpl of days of lying snow and a chilly wind is surely just normal winter weather.  i shall leave it there, lol

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Eastry, Kent CT13 0HF
  • Location: Eastry, Kent CT13 0HF

    must admit the ramping made me get the sledge out for the kids.  I've popped it away again now.  Been an enjoyable spell of weather all the same though.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
  • Location: Shepton Mallet Somerset

    The Blizzard of Feb 78 in the S.W is often referred to,I can recall it well, but even with that , I 'm pretty sure that it was as a result of a front coming off of the Atlantic , and colliding with a cold Easterly. That started on a Saturday evening , and  dumped a huge amount of Snow, but even that was pretty much gone by the Tuesday, as it warmed up. 

     

    Edited by 78/79
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
    10 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

    I do suspect, looking at official weather sites around that site that it is recording a value too high. Yes, of course the sun will melt snow at this time of year, it is almost March. The sun is way higher than 2 months ago. Perhaps your expectations are too high. A number of Met forecasts have talked of the cold in relation to the time of year.

    Yes, I tried to suggest in the MOD thread many times that the time of year would significantly modify the impact on the ground but got shot down and on some occasions even had my posts deleted for daring to suggest that snow would be melted and the sun feel warm out of the wind

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Exeter, Devon, UK. alt 10m asl
  • Location: Exeter, Devon, UK. alt 10m asl
    2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

    SW England, Wales and all of Ireland

    Unless it's freezing rain! Met office look to have updated warnings for the SW/Wales to orange status for Friday but they do make mention of freezing rain and i suspect that is why they have gone from yellow to orange.  Would not want to be a forecaster at the mo - diff between no snow/blizzard/freezing rain/normal rain likely to be small margins and subject to extremely late changes.  Case of looking out of the window, which is not much help if you need to drive.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl

    I do wonder whether some that are negative, and who can, ever get outside and experience this cold air but simply sit on a device indoors and complain because there's not 10cm or more of snow outside.

    Yes snow is what most of us like to see but bear in mind as Teits said it's almost March and the upper air in the next 2/ 3 days promises to be as cold as anything seen in previous spells.

    As for snow until we see a frontal attack we rely on convection-deep cold over the warmer north sea and the showers created are a devil to forecast in both intensity and direction of travel.Quite a few have seen snow already and more is likely.Often in such a bitter cold airstream minor troughs/disturbances can pop up at short notice.

    The way to enjoy this is to appreciate the notable synoptics and the unusual cold -snow is the cream on the top,which i sure will come for many by the end of the week.

    Edited by phil nw.
    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Yorks
  • Location: South Yorks
    9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

    I do suspect, looking at official weather sites around that site that it is recording a value too high. Yes, of course the sun will melt snow at this time of year, it is almost March. The sun is way higher than 2 months ago. Perhaps your expectations are too high. A number of Met forecasts have talked of the cold in relation to the time of year.

    Hi there John, I live in a very(very) similar part of the world to you and I have lived many years of unfulfilled hysteria. I think your balanced unbiased analysis is excellent and your one of the few who post on the MOD thread that I value. The slight gripe I have is with the forecast media - The professionals that you refer to. As you know we have had  an amber warning for some time in our area and yet its currently above freezing, no lying snow and the occasional shower. Tomorrow (less than 24 hrs out)the met office app shows heavy snow from 3am until around lunchtime. This is not hopecasting but almost now casting and I don't have faith in what is being predicted. Is it simply the case that it is almost impossible to predict snow with any amount of certainty on our warm island - Doncaster is another matter as I'm convinced we have a particularly warm microclimate

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield
    56 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

    Ey oop lad, least tha's not fallen into t'regional cliche stuff, eh?  Any road, where's me whippet, could do wi' a walk round t'derelict factry before me dinner as it's nearly time to fire oop t'stove and get t'black puddin' on't go. 

    Touche,very well put:)....but your still Southern Softies:D

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    33 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

    I do wonder whether some that are negative, and who can, ever get outside and experience this cold air but simply sit on a device indoors and complain because there's not 10cm or more of snow outside.

    Yes snow is what most of us like to see but bear in mind as Teits said it's almost March and the upper air in the next 2/ 3 days promises to be as cold as anything seen in previous spells.

    As for snow until we see a frontal attack we rely on convection-deep cold over the warmer north sea and the showers created are a devil to forecast in both intensity and direction of travel.Quite a few have seen snow already and more is likely.Often in such a bitter cold airstream minor troughs/disturbances can pop up at short notice.

    The way to enjoy this is to appreciate the notable synoptics and the unusual cold -snow is the cream on the top,which i sure will come for many by the end of the week.

    What if you don't care about either of those things? I suspect snow is what most of us want, rather than just cold for the sake of it (and it's currently 1C here so exceptional cold is not how I'd describe it).

    And how on earth are you supposed to enjoy synoptics? By staring at them on a computer screen all day? Not all of us enjoy waffling about dam values.

    Edited by cheese
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Reigate, Surrey 105 m (top floor 120m)
  • Location: Reigate, Surrey 105 m (top floor 120m)
    23 minutes ago, markyo said:

    Touche,very well put:)....but your still Southern Softies:D

    Guilty as charged m'lud!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Peterborough N.Cambridgeshire
  • Location: Peterborough N.Cambridgeshire
    1 hour ago, sparky1972 said:

    metoffice website,  location, springfields outlet village and festival gardens, as of now we should it should be -1c and its currently +2.6c, not a breath of wind and beautiful blue skies, snow about an inch deep but thawing very quickly, not buying into the heavy snow later stuff, lol. 

    As of 1pm RAF Wittering is -2C.

    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LEVEL=140&LANG=en&WMO=03462&R=310&TIME=std&CEL=C&SI=mph

    So I seriously doubt the 2.6C you mention. I always use official weather stations. Our local weather station is stating 1.2C but this is always too high.

    http://www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com/

    Always correct at night though which suggests a problem with its location and effects from sunlight.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Woodham Ferrers, height 15 metres
  • Location: South Woodham Ferrers, height 15 metres

    Have to say this 'Beast from the East' is rather underwhelming. 

    Only a few coastal edges have any appreciable snow which is because the wind trajectory has been north east not east or east north east.

    As the wind direction turns more easterly overnight we might get showers that penetrate further inland. There is barely any precipitation showing on the charts for my location but when we've had easterlies in the past it is because of more direct easterly feed and a conveyor belt of 'streamers'.  This conveyor-belt is right now only grazing the coast but hopefully the usual will happen once again on Wednesday even though it is not showing any PPN on the GFS.

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NW LONDON
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
  • Location: NW LONDON

    Everyone keeps going on about enjoying the unusual  cold for this time of year, but I've had a foot of snow stick in March before and for my location this is a very underwhelming cold spell.

    Edited by lassie23
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
    1 hour ago, cheese said:

    What if you don't care about either of those things? I suspect snow is what most of us want, rather than just cold for the sake of it (and it's currently 1C here so exceptional cold is not how I'd describe it).

    And how on earth are you supposed to enjoy synoptics? By staring at them on a computer screen all day? Not all of us enjoy waffling about dam values.

    The synoptics are the bringer of this cold. I am sure you know that and they are quite different to our normal pattern. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

    The synoptics are the bringer of this cold. I am sure you know that and they are quite different to our normal pattern. 

    Yes, I am fully aware of that - but you can't see the synoptics in real life. They're lines on a map.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
    2 hours ago, Wizzobell said:

    Hi there John, I live in a very(very) similar part of the world to you and I have lived many years of unfulfilled hysteria. I think your balanced unbiased analysis is excellent and your one of the few who post on the MOD thread that I value. The slight gripe I have is with the forecast media - The professionals that you refer to. As you know we have had  an amber warning for some time in our area and yet its currently above freezing, no lying snow and the occasional shower. Tomorrow (less than 24 hrs out)the met office app shows heavy snow from 3am until around lunchtime. This is not hopecasting but almost now casting and I don't have faith in what is being predicted. Is it simply the case that it is almost impossible to predict snow with any amount of certainty on our warm island - Doncaster is another matter as I'm convinced we have a particularly warm microclimate

    Thank you for those kind words.

    re our little spot, yes it does usually seem to miss the worst of any snow from whatever direction it comes. Our height, well anyone east of the A1 is one factor as quite often height is a major player in will it snow or not. Places near the top of the M18 towards the M1 often have snow lying when none in Cantley for example.

    I never use the app. Showers, as the warnings indicate, may give several cm's in one area and close by very little,the nature of showers.

    Looking at the warnings as of 1452 and there are yellow warnings out for Doncaster  Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat but no amber although there may have been earlier. I suspect the area of snow from the small disturbance shown on the Fax charts, well illustrated by knocker in the 72 hour hour model area tracked further west than suggested yesterday when the warnings were issued. Fine detail and not easy I assure you to get such a track correct or indeed to get the width/extent of an area correct.

    hope that helps W

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
    16 minutes ago, cheese said:

    Yes, I am fully aware of that - but you can't see the synoptics in real life. They're lines on a map.

    "The way to enjoy this is to appreciate the notable synoptics and the unusual cold -snow is the cream on the top,which i sure will come for many by the end of the week."

    I have quoted that para. above from my original post so we are clear what I said not what you think/assumed I said.. I don't quite know what point you are trying to make. As a weather geek and not just one looking for snow I see nothing wrong with that. 

    If you wish to continue with this please msg me before we bore everyone with off topic stuff.

     

    Edited by phil nw.
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

    Everyone keeps going on about enjoying the unusual  cold for this time of year, but I've had a foot of snow stick in March before and for my location this is a very underwhelming cold spell.

    undewhelming ,lol it's actually pleasant out , cold spell my derrière :nonono:

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
    10 minutes ago, cheese said:

    Yes, I am fully aware of that - but you can't see the synoptics in real life. They're lines on a map.

    Which is, I think, the only way we can appreciate, if it is not snowing in our own backyard, what we are experiencing. Other than news updates, phots and of course checking on the ACTUAL temperatures for our own area and a look at the 850 mb value. I have never seen as far as I can remember the values for tomorrow over my part of the world, in any month=-16C, currently -12C. I must dig out my notes for the Nov-Dec 2010 feature, part of which featured in a talk to RMet Soc at Leeds Uni, to see if there is a link to the 850 mb value other than looking at the skew-t I used to esplain why so much snow kept falling-35 cm which was perhaps the heaviest fall in either this or the previous century for Doncaster.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Swansea
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
  • Location: Swansea
    45 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

    Everyone keeps going on about enjoying the unusual  cold for this time of year, but I've had a foot of snow stick in March before and for my location this is a very underwhelming cold spell.

    yes this 'beast' has really been more of a pussycat, in terms of delivering snowfall for most of us.  March 2013 was infinately better in all ways.  this so far has turned into a damp squid

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except blazing hot summers!
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    2 hours ago, phil nw. said:

    I do wonder whether some that are negative, and who can, ever get outside and experience this cold air but simply sit on a device indoors and complain because there's not 10cm or more of snow outside.

    Yes snow is what most of us like to see but bear in mind as Teits said it's almost March and the upper air in the next 2/ 3 days promises to be as cold as anything seen in previous spells.

    As for snow until we see a frontal attack we rely on convection-deep cold over the warmer north sea and the showers created are a devil to forecast in both intensity and direction of travel.Quite a few have seen snow already and more is likely.Often in such a bitter cold airstream minor troughs/disturbances can pop up at short notice.

    The way to enjoy this is to appreciate the notable synoptics and the unusual cold -snow is the cream on the top,which i sure will come for many by the end of the week.

    This is the moans thread to be fair Paul.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...