Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Well I'm delighted by the ECM this morning, gone are the horrendous storms, replaced by much calmer and anticyclonic weather post Xmas. If we can't get high level blocking, cold and snow, I'd much rather have what the ECM shows than zonality and storm after storm.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Gord said:

December 2015: "I don't think any winter month could annoy winter weather enthusiasts more than I have."

December 2016: "Hold my drink..."

Think I much prefer this to worrying about my house being flooded...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Gord said:

December 2015: "I don't think any winter month could annoy winter weather enthusiasts more than I have."

December 2016: "Hold my drink..."

'16 not as bad,as it's been a lot drier, my expectations of course low in the mÕdern era, as I expect every Dec to Feb to be gales and rain, hope WH idea comes off, anticyclonic winter

Posted
55 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Well I'm delighted by the ECM this morning, gone are the horrendous storms, replaced by much calmer and anticyclonic weather post Xmas. If we can't get high level blocking, cold and snow, I'd much rather have what the ECM shows than zonality and storm after storm.

Im not saying i want storm after storm but the odd one would do to break the boring semi permanent Euro high conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So the most blocked winter in my memory continues. I'm a big fan of high pressure, but even I fancy something from the north / east to emerge. I am relieved we are not going to get a prolonged hammering by the jet stream though!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

However...

GloSea5 pattern ultimately favours high pressure to S of UK

Looks like it may be a Euroslug dominated winter :wallbash: Knowing our luck, I feel like the output will be correct this time... 

The ECM does offer a glimmer of hope that the high could ridge north enough to give more seasonable temps in a SE flow rather than a mild damp SW flow, but it's probably overdone. 
Hopefully, high pressure can manage to build over us longer term and be the clearer frosty variety than just be squashed into a Bartlett 

7 hours ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Not just America. many parts of Europe continue to have lots of snow. The UK has its own climate, often the reverse to the other areas . I mentiond earlier the snow that awaited me in Spain when the ferry docked. Two Years ago last Summer IArrived in Caen, France to a heatwave. This lasted 4 Months. 1OO miles north in UK was cool with drizzle most of that Summer

Thankfully, I don't think it was quite that extreme.. there was never a 4 month heatwave in northern France!

7 hours ago, Gustywind said:

But how am I going to dry my washing. 20 days of no wind and counting. The only storm

That is likely to verify this Xmas is the one you find in a tea cup, served by the in laws!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Crikey, the MODS going onto the model thread, posting that you are now not allowed to congratulate knowledgeable members for fear of clogging up the thread.

What??? So many regulations, I'm surprised your allowed to even breathe. Whats the point of having a forum. Either that or MODS have way to much time on their hands

7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Crikey, the MODS going onto the model thread, posting that you are now not allowed to congratulate knowledgeable members for fear of clogging up the thread.

What??? So many regulations, I'm surprised your allowed to even breathe. Whats the point of having a forum. Either that or MODS have way to much time on their hands

But the thread is full of too much cr@p unrelated to the models/forecasting/meteorology as it is, to be fair. Having a dedicated snow/cold hunting thread would be a no-brainer.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, Interitus said:

But the thread is full of too much cr@p unrelated to the models/forecasting/meteorology as it is, to be fair. Having a dedicated snow/cold hunting thread would be a no-brainer.

You could use the winter thread

Posted
6 minutes ago, Interitus said:

I quite agree and I also agree with the MODS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
17 minutes ago, knocker said:

I quite agree and I also agree with the MODS

I agree - Im lurking but to be truthful there is too much personal opinions posted that have no value with regards to the actual models etc. This has a danger of this forum going to the 'dogs' as has happened with lots of other forums where the subject is lost amongst personal post battles and insults.

Edited by Hanny
  • Like 2

Posted

I do wonder in pre-internet days where we've had winters start slow then deliver (1986/7, 1994/5 with it's snow intercepted with mild) did people think "Oh God, winter is over!" only to be shocked a few days and weeks down the line? 

Posted
20 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

I do wonder in pre-internet days where we've had winters start slow then deliver (1986/7, 1994/5 with it's snow intercepted with mild) did people think "Oh God, winter is over!" only to be shocked a few days and weeks down the line? 

Back then people probably didn't think that until it was actually over. People who also don't follow weather forums probably feel the same. I've sometimes thought to myself it might be better for my peace of mind to stop bothering, but I can't help myself and day after day during late Autumn to early Spring I'm on here looking for signs of hope. The last 3 Winters and this one thus far have been especially bad with glimmers of hope constantly extinguishing. None though have been more of an anti climax though than what this December initially seemed to suggest only for it to fail. Not since the LRFs for Winter 2005/06 has so much promise dissipated, though even that Winter was sort of cold at times, if practically snowless here. Even January now doesn't look too promising, at least the first half. Maybe this Winter can be saved after then. We are long overdue a very cold February after all, the last been 1996 with 1991 been the last one by any great measure. Or maybe the unthinkable is the case and we're destined for a fourth mild Winter in succession. Who knows, but nothing good is in plain sight at present at least, maybe something will pop up though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Interitus said:

So congratulating a knowledgeable member on their Model related post is Cr@p? For us newbies I see nothing wrong with thanking and showing appreciation to their post.

That particular MOD was posting how members are not allowed to thank a member for a post they found useful. 

You all misread my post, I agree that Moans/banter and personal preference should be banished

5 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

So congratulating a knowledgeable member on their Model related post is Cr@p? For us newbies I see nothing wrong with thanking and showing appreciation to their post.

That particular MOD was posting how members are not allowed to thank a member for a post they found useful. 

You all misread my post, I agree that Moans/banter and personal preference should be banished

Isn't that what the 'like' button is for? Not sure which MOD post you refer to but the one I saw encouraged showing appreciation by PM if need be.

• Like 1

Posted

I will of course continue to look at the models but for someone like me who enjoys warm weather in summer and cold and snow in winter my interest is beginning to drain away - for those who proclaim the unpredictabilty of the British climate i would suggest the complete opposite is now the norm.Generally speaking Greenland is home to low pressure in winter and high pressure in summer, for someone like me with my outlined preference thats a disasterous combo..

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, nn2013 said:

I didn't. It was a case of watching the Countryfile forecasts and or the Wednesday BBC forecast for hint of what was to come. Sometimes it was a long wait.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I will of course continue to look at the models but for someone like me who enjoys warm weather in summer and cold and snow in winter my interest is beginning to drain away - for those who proclaim the unpredictabilty of the British climate i would suggest the complete opposite is now the norm.Generally speaking Greenland is home to low pressure in winter and high pressure in summer, for someone like me with my outlined preference thats a disasterous combo..

Totally agree NWS every time we get an Easterly in summer I'm always thinking why now, and you can almost guarantee that the Azores or Euro highs disappears from our shores once winter ends... so frustrating. :wallbash: