Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

3 minutes ago, alibabba said:

More fool them.I have a stack of logs lots of coal ..oh and a pub in my back garden 😁🤗 warmth and beer Im sorted lol

all rounds to yours for beer and snow watch then, lol, x

Edited by sparky1972

9 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

all rounds to yours for beer and snow watch then, lol, x

More than welcome at The Cock Inn 👍🏻 🍻❄

Can ICON be correct please? I know it won't be because we central europeans cannot have nice things :D 

Its all over for the South by next Friday if the GFS OP verifies.  Fingers crossed its a rogue run. 

26 minutes ago, Shunter said:

Its all over for the South by next Friday if the GFS OP verifies.  Fingers crossed its a rogue run. 

Which is unlikely, though of course possible. A week away, too. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Somehow I'm still not believing this is actually going to happen after being let down so many times , but even so I've prepped the Range Rover today , rescue kit in the boot , charged up batteries etc etc. My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

3 minutes ago, MarkM said:

My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

A broken clock is correct twice a day..

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

11 minutes ago, MarkM said:

Somehow I'm still not believing this is actually going to happen after being let down so many times , but even so I've prepped the Range Rover today , rescue kit in the boot , charged up batteries etc etc. My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

Well you might be be right. Our local TV forecast mentions average temps in in the south next Week around 7c, Spring like I would say.

43 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Well you might be be right. Our local TV forecast mentions average temps in in the south next Week around 7c, Spring like I would say.

This is a joke ? Surely!!

As a treat I showed all my classes a bit of the GFS model running at the end of their lessons, plus a photo of my 1991 igloo and gave a quick tutorial on how to build it using a long stick in the centre to get the radius the same all the way round. They were super impressed, and a bit mystified as to why there has been no snow forecast yet. Quite a lot of them knew about the SSW and the easterly winds - I hope I haven't got their hopes up regarding snowfall - even a little bit will be good for sledging, but you need quite a depth to make an igloo.

50 minutes ago, shotski said:

This is a joke ? Surely!!

No , they were talking about it on the other channel too. Someone said their data maybe behind the times. Not good if you need to travel and if they are wrong.

58 minutes ago, trumpage said:

Unprecedented snow fall has fallen near Venice today, the seaside resort of Jesolo has snow on the beech...  My mum grew up near and never did this happen.. An omen for what is to come in the UK?

http://www.veneziatoday.it/cronaca/neve-spiaggia-jesolo-23-febbraio-2018-video.html

They get strong mountain effects from the Alps. Milan gets it bad too.

1 hour ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

A broken clock is correct twice a day..

A broken led one one could be correct at any time,who knows....

2 hours ago, MarkM said:

Same here subaru legacy AWD ready with Goodyear Alpine winter tyres on all  4 wheels. I need it where I live.

Enjoy the fun .

I find my subaru legacy AWD .awesome in the snow never have to think what happens if I get stuck lol

2 hours ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Which forecast was that? Both the regional TV forecasts looked like this

image.thumb.png.8a91a23d79a3eb76beb27dc1d2a9446f.png

Capture.PNG

Eastern counties and parts of the south and some central areas are going to be battered .

I dare say at some point next week we'll see  RED Weather warnings. 

To add to this with Gale force winds and heavy snow drifting snow even to low levels 

Edited by sorepaw1

is  it  me  or are  the bbc weather  forecasting dreadful   now ex our local one they got no idea

I hope not, but it does look increasingly likely that we're in for a severe event which might impact on Transport, NHS, National Grid etc; so I've sent my MP an email asking her to check if local and national Government have contingency plans

It's a fascinating event unfolding and being a fit, healthy retired gent with no particular place to go I'll revel in the novelty but for the less fortunate it could prove dangerous

Thanks to all for the on-going analysis

Edited by Oymyakon

2 minutes ago, Oymyakon said:

I hope not, but it does look increasingly likely that we're in for a severe event which might impact on Transport, NHS, National Grid etc; so I've sent my MP an email asking her to check if local and national Government have contingency plans

It's a fascinating event unfolding and being a fit, healthy retired gent with no particular place to go I'll revel in the novelty but for the less fortunate it could prove dangerous

Thanks to all for the on-going analysis

So in the mean time lets just call it "Chilly".............

The breakdown from the SE starts earlier on this run.....all over by Friday morning for our contingent. 

good evening all.

my town is wednesbury which is located in the west midlands near jct9 of m6.

looking forward to the cold spell because lets be honest us brits like  bit of drama and disruption to moan about!

I do find the models hard to read although I do get the blue colours mean cold

I don't understand how the precipitation is formed with kinks and troughs though.

beginning to regret not paying attention in geography about the weather as would have come in handy.

i find the main discussion board confusing and contradictory but i love a bit of snow and trudging up to lidl like a little trooper!!

if its going to snow hope its a good dumping otherwise these 4 days of constant refreshing will all be nothing!!

stay safe everyone and remember to check in on the neighbours