Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As there's not much happening at the moment, I thought I'd mosey on over to the GloSea long ranger to see what the Spring/Summer prospects are like, and very pleasant they are too.

2cat_20180201_z500_months35_global_deter

2cat_20180201_z500_months46_global_deter

8)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Is it too soon to warn my older relatives to get more logs ready? They live in a freezing cold house, and do not necessarily have enough supplies in all the time.

The elderly are most at risk from the cold, so it’d be a sensible precaution to get more logs in, in case it does get super cold :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Is it too soon to warn my older relatives to get more logs ready? They live in a freezing cold house, and do not necessarily have enough supplies in all the time.

They should always have enough logs in for a few weeks anyway. The fact people need to be told to prep for bad weather is ridiculous, if you don't live within striking distance of a town centre you should be prepared for the worst. Even in summer it can get too hot to go gallivanting for supplies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll eat my hat if what actually happens is anything like what the computer models are showing. Been here many times, this place goes into meltdown and zip actually happens. Hope I am wrong but until the event actually starts feet firmly on the ground. The forecasts back on December 8th were incorrect, forecasting heavy snow when we had none and vice versa. Comparing these fantasy charts to the likes 0f 47, 63 , 87 etc is just bonkers. Hope I'm wrong and will need to get the shovel out again next week but somehow doubt it......

Edited by drgl
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay then time to put the "misery pants" hat on. 

 

These charts are incredibly but is there not a risk that they've been over-programmed to display cold weather on the back of the SSW due to the link between the two and that rather than being this brilliant because that's what we're getting; they are this brilliant because the large SSW has amplified the over-programming compared to previous minor SSW's?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Okay then time to put the "misery pants" hat on. 

 

These charts are incredibly but is there not a risk that they've been over-programmed to display cold weather on the back of the SSW due to the link between the two and that rather than being this brilliant because that's what we're getting; they are this brilliant because the large SSW has amplified the over-programming compared to previous minor SSW's?

Short Answer.... No

Long answer.... Hell No.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, drgl said:

I'll eat my hat if what actually happens is anything like what the computer models are showing. Been here many times, this place goes into meltdown and zip actually happens. Hope I am wrong but until the event actually starts feet firmly on the ground. The forecasts back on December 8th were incorrect, forecasting heavy snow when we had none and vice versa. Comparing these fantasy charts to the likes 0f 47, 63 , 87 etc is just bonkers. Hope I'm wrong and will need to get the shovel out again next week but somehow doubt it......

Never seen charts like this..... (2010 a side) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think now I am looking for upgrades in timing , the uppers repeatedly shown are pretty much as low as can be theoretically  possible. If the models are still struggling they might be underestimating the propagation of the wind reversal - so would like to see the initial surface cold and caa coming quicker than modelled and get a nudge to get here by Friday. Here’s hoping , interestingly here in Surrey surface winds keep trying to veer NE and it’s seems to be drying up from the east. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Okay then time to put the "misery pants" hat on. 

 

These charts are incredibly but is there not a risk that they've been over-programmed to display cold weather on the back of the SSW due to the link between the two and that rather than being this brilliant because that's what we're getting; they are this brilliant because the large SSW has amplified the over-programming compared to previous minor SSW's?

There is NO programming. Every run on each model is fed the data at 00h, surface, upper air , sea etc etc, then simply run to its end date/time, based on the Laws of Dynamics and heat exchanges ; that is for synoptic models that the vast majority on here eagerly watch as each page downloads.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Could well be a epic cold spell this.

Can't believe these charts are not downgrading.Even if they do a tad,still be great for us coldies. 

Meto update is music to my ears. Cmonnnnnnnnn bring it on

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drgl said:

I'll eat my hat if what actually happens is anything like what the computer models are showing. Been here many times, this place goes into meltdown and zip actually happens. Hope I am wrong but until the event actually starts feet firmly on the ground. The forecasts back on December 8th were incorrect, forecasting heavy snow when we had none and vice versa. Comparing these fantasy charts to the likes 0f 47, 63 , 87 etc is just bonkers. Hope I'm wrong and will need to get the shovel out again next week but somehow doubt it......

Quoted for future use...!

More seriously, the difference this time is the consistency with the models. Normally we have one outlier calling it diffferently and the models converge on a tepid compromise. This time they all think it’s going to be Baltic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reality is going to smack hard in here soon. BBC and Meto aren’t even forecasting a top 3 coldest day of winter so far during the “bitterly” cold weekend and beginning of next week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, March said:

Reality is going to smack hard in here soon. BBC and Meto aren’t even forecasting a top 3 coldest day of winter so far during the “bitterly” cold weekend and beginning of next week. 

Really  Meto has me for Monday   (as thats as far as i can see)  at -1 during the day with a - 8 windchill.  that for me at least is coldest this winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

If you think some in the mod thread have entered ramp mode;

 
Found while looking for met office twitter.

 

Definitely too early for red warnings I agree, but if we get to the weekend with the same output shown as currently then something should be done. Knowing how crap the UK is at coping with genuinely wintry weather it could be chaos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Significant snowfall across the Southern part of England and along the east coast looks highly likely now with active systems running up the English Channel notwithstanding agreement across the models for a severe easterly intrusion due to the SSW. This kind of event, should it occur, is of course a rarity indeed for the whole of the country (about once every 30 years) but when they occur they shock England in particularly and they always bring road traffic chaos, schools close, shops run out of supplies due to problems with delivery etc. But when it gets this cold it does catch people out especially the elderly so please keep an eye on them! Note that 7 February 1991 was one of the coldest days in the 20 Century and equaled the intense cold of February 1956 and the same with 12 January 1987 but February 1986 was one of the coldest months in the 20 century. I wonder if we will see any records broken in the coming spell and note that the infamous severe winter of 1947 began late and didn't finish until the end of March! The last 30 years of relatively mundane winters may well have put people into a false sense that such events can never really happen here in the UK.

Edited by Polar Walker
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, knocker said:

It has to be said that the EPS is trying desperately hard to run the main splodge of very cold air to our east south east. :shok:

'Splodge'. I like it!  Good old fashioned meteorological term, that... :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...