Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

14 minutes ago, knocker said:

Good grief a plume. Must remember to get Sidney some factor 20

gfs_t850a_natl_45.thumb.png.d01233345ee9c4c6df1a9d577378bed7.png

Any chance of a forecast from Weds into medium term.....??

33 minutes ago, MarkM said:

Well I'm ready.....

IMG_3285.thumb.jpg.2bf6ca81b8f218696f30496a7a4a8a13.jpg

Talk about overkill :gathering:

looks like cold spell incoming now ,but too early to tell how severe it will become yet.

1 hour ago, Thinon said:

It will be colder than average with the chance of some sleet or snow flurries. The usual suspects in the models thread are ramping things up to an unnecessary degree. And I think we know why but perhaps I shouldn't mention it here

I have to ask .......... why??? :)

16 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Any chance of a forecast from Weds into medium term.....??

Now don't be naughty FSF you know very well you have the MOD thread for that :)

4 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

I know that video's posted half as a joke bit some of the charts coming out, what point do you actually need to start removing snow from your roof? A couple of feet? Or as it freezes over?

Whenever you feel like breaking your neck I guess? :)

But seriously, I guess if there's more than 6 inches? Others can no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the car roof, you need to remove it all - don't leave any as it often then flies off onto the windscreen of a following car and you can be fined for doing that. That applies to the rest of the car too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snow-clear-cars-fines-points-licence-how-many-aa-a8102236.html

First though, a sufficient quantity of snow is required ....... :D

Just now, Buzz said:

Whenever you feel like breaking your neck I guess? :)

But seriously, I guess if there's more than 6 inches? Others can no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the car roof, you need to remove it all - don't leave any as it often then flies off onto the windscreen of a following car and you can be fined for doing that. That applies to the rest of the car too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snow-clear-cars-fines-points-licence-how-many-aa-a8102236.html

First though, a sufficient quantity of snow is required ....... :D

A well made roof would stand in excess of 2 metres of snow , though best remove it using Japanese navies.

1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

A well made roof would stand in excess of 2 metres of snow , though best remove it using Japanese navies.

Given the "cheap and not to cheerful" building quality these days I doubt if many modern roofs could be described as "well made". I also don't appear to have any local Japanese navvies in my area, can you suggest a suitable alternative? :)

Spring like in Hampshire today. I can smell the coffee...I wouldn't be surprised if predicted colder period goes south to France , Spain, and Africa, . We will get the cooler drizzle.

4 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Given the "cheap and not to cheerful" building quality these days I doubt if many modern roofs could be described as "well made". I also don't appear to have any local Japanese navvies in my area, can you suggest a suitable alternative? :)

Yes along with 2 metre deep snow ,Japanese navvies are thin on the ground around here too  :rofl:

17 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Spring like in Hampshire today. I can smell the coffee...I wouldn't be surprised if predicted colder period goes south to France , Spain, and Africa, . We will get the cooler drizzle.

and here, great day for taking my 93 year old Nan out for a little walk! best day weatherwise for months! other than snow of course, 

beasterly so up in the air, GFS has it the other way, Scotland seems best placed, with deep FI, southern UK seeing Spring

35 minutes ago, knocker said:

Now don't be naughty FSF you know very well you have the MOD thread for that :)

Of course I want to see -25 uppers hittting the Isle of Wight in 8 days,which obviously is easy to find in the Mod thread , however:D..I also need  a realistic forecast without bias to temper my enthusiasm. 

On a serious note your short range forecasts are great cheers.

1 hour ago, JennyJane1 said:

Pigeons absolutely love shelled peanuts and sunflower seeds, and its very good for them in winter.

I don’t get any regular pigeons in the garden but do get loads of wood pigeons. They have to be the greediest birds I’ve ever seen! They cause so much damage on the allotment too, everyone there hates them and calls them flying rats, lol. Love robins and the different tits, sometimes get some finches and even had a red poll the other day. 

ECM gaining some excitement in the main thread but once again any deep cold remains out in la la land and never actually seems to make it into a reliable timeframe

1 hour ago, Buzz said:

I have to ask .......... why??? :)

Because no posts/clicks = no ££££

;)

23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM gaining some excitement in the main thread but once again any deep cold remains out in la la land and never actually seems to make it into a reliable timeframe

Correct, the 10 days away syndrome. Don`t blame the ECM, they all have the disease which appears to come with the complimentary BOOM attached as a freebie.

6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

too far in FI for my liking, beast was due to arrive 20th Feb, now GFS 25th, EC bit later, just hope it won't arrive on 31st Feb

Exactly, tongue firmly in cheek mate. 

18z GFS has just produced an outrageous run for cold...shame it's not the 0z or the 12z which might have a bit more substance. But taking a step back and looking at GFS, ECM and a better UKMO shaping up there are now quite a few op runs appearing that does give the UK a decent cold to very cold end to the winter so maybe we can start to hope!...

People seem to be bringing some really odd models into the discussion.

2 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

People seem to be bringing some really odd models into the discussion.

B lol o x model I reckon .

I thought I'd post this chart from the models for next Sunday if it pulls off.

Much of the East and south East of the uk battered on a stiff strong Easterly with plenty of snow showers for most of us to enjoy even you guys down south.

My subaru legacy AWD  is primed and ready to go.

From T+144 ppn builds on the models and keeps coming you couldn't make it up.

18022518_1718.gif

As much as I'm not enamoured of another cold spell, I hope the model forecasts firm up soon so I can plan what days to take off. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't last too long- was enjoying the daffs and crocus that were starting to appear!

2 minutes ago, Hirudine said:

As much as I'm not enamoured of another cold spell, I hope the model forecasts firm up soon so I can plan what days to take off. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't last too long- was enjoying the daffs and crocus that were starting to appear!

Jeez, you’re brave posting that. Do you have a death wish lol?