Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
8 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Another sorry excuse of a winter chalked off round these parts.

hats off to those in the model thread keeping the dream alive- 

towels gone in from me..

Chasing the ever lasting cold and snow in blighty must be gut wrenching. If you are lucky enough to get some its all gone in a matter of hours. Oh for winters, crisp and cold for a few weeks at least.. The NW of England in recent years must have one of the most repugnant climates in Europe. ( No snow and just cloudy windy summers that seem to last all year ! ) When I lived up there we had great winters in the 60s with a fair bit of snow that hung around for weeks in some winters and then the great summerS of 1959 and 76 which delivered intense heat for all . Now I have said this, watch you will get February blizzards and -10c air temps !  Hey just dreaming.

C

Posted

Swap places. I have ice and snow for the past week and it doesn't look like in a rush to go anywhere. It went above freezing a few times last week, so it melted over then refroze during the night.

I feel like I need to write a will each time I leave my apartment.

Roll on Spring now :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
8 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

hats off to those in the model thread keeping the dream alive- 

Probably only fooling themselves imo. I can't see how with Dec and Jan not delivering anything of real note (for many anyway) but certainly no real proper cold spell, that a magic wand will be waved in Feb to save the winter. It seems to be the same thing every winter lately with all hopes resting on Feb. Which then goes on to not delivering.

So another poor winter it seems. I have faith in the next few perhaps starting next winter.

Posted

Don’t give up yet.We seem to get more snow chances in spring now,and hints of maybe some proper cold from the East as we enter into February.

Posted
20 minutes ago, sundog said:

Probably only fooling themselves imo. I can't see how with Dec and Jan not delivering anything of real note (for many anyway) but certainly no real proper cold spell, that a magic wand will be waved in Feb to save the winter. It seems to be the same thing every winter lately with all hopes resting on Feb. Which then goes on to not delivering.

So another poor winter it seems. I have faith in the next few perhaps starting next winter.

The first part i agree with - wrt next winter who knows, no-one does i guess.

TBH i'm hoping we get a decent summer- summers IMBY have been pretty poor since 2013 - its been an utterly miserable 4 years or so for anyone wanting seasonal weather in my region..

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Don’t give up yet.We seem to get more snow chances in spring now,and hints of maybe some proper cold from the East as we enter into February.

Never say never, personally i'm not remotely interested in spring cold but each to their own.

An inversion high Nov/Dec can produce very cold surface conditions but by the time you get to Feb onwards you really need the cold uppers :)

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

Its been pretty dam good Winter here two spells were snow has lay for 6 days 5-6 inches deep and another 5 snow events that lasted a day or more not bad at all still Feb to come.:)

Yes you have done well- 

:)

• Like 1

Posted

Yep  Strange winter this year   seems to heave been dominated by winds from a more North westerly area  which you would have thought would have produced for the north west  area   alas not really.  Here in The west midlands  its been a different story  whether thats due to being further inland  away from modification from the sea  i dont know.  of course the slider scenario first pert of December certainly helped    just one of those years i suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Its been a IMBY winter by the sounds of it! Some have done very well other have had another stinker (so far), managed 8 days of lying snow and a low of -8 here in rural Northants so far, compared to 2 days during 16/17 winter 1/2 day 15/16, 2 Days 14/15 and 1/2 day 13/14. If that's it for this winter then so be it not been a bad one here, gutted for those who have missed out. However it is only 22 January, still plenty of time yet, give the models a few days as Mr Micawber says in Dickens ' Something will turn up....'

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, jvenge said:

No.

Don't beat about the bush.....give us a straight answer and say what you really think!  :wink:  

As far as I am concerned I still hope that February can deliver some cold snowy weather for the far west because everyone else has had a bit (almost everyone...).   Here's a promising start....

image.thumb.png.aa363cd6c2eb35e5637a707cb5bf02f3.png   image.thumb.png.164140a2d09db9f89079b696f8ebd5d4.png

If nothing happens in February then we are probably done for until next December. We can always look forward to the spring now - longer days, stronger sunshine, birdsong and daffs popping up everywhere. Then there's the westerly gales, frequent showers, spells of heavy rain, late frosts biting the early buds....  Oh no, not the Spring again.. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
25 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Does anyone know why the ECM charts are not getting uploaded anymore on here ?

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89206-ecm/?tab=comments#comment-3725519

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yes  indeed  After this weekends milder blip  then there is a steady decline in  Uppers.   Around the 3rd  there is quite a cluster going for   uppers between -5  to -10   so  certainly a move to colder conditions.  Looking at the snow row  it also shows  chances of the white stuff   unheard of in post biblical times  south of the M4   at least it is something to watch.

Yes, the trend is promising for coldies.  The action will be for the southern half of the UK this time around.  This will be the coldest spell of the winter, ice days and snow chances, especially in the south.

Posted

Would you Adam and Eve it. At T144 the ecm 'slider' refuses to slide and becomes an 'up-an-under' and impacts southern Norway 24 hours later, impacting Scotland en route. That pesky Azores pushing the jet north east is to blame :shok:

Edited by knocker

Posted

The ext EPS this morning again looking at a favorable axis vis the Atlantic HP ridging NE and the low pressure in southern Europe. Best case scenario the UK under the influence of the ridge and the jet forced north. Nice and dry and perhaps a little night nip to freshen the Brussels.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
23 hours ago, JOPRO said:

Its been a IMBY winter by the sounds of it! Some have done very well other have had another stinker (so far), managed 8 days of lying snow and a low of -8 here in rural Northants so far, compared to 2 days during 16/17 winter 1/2 day 15/16, 2 Days 14/15 and 1/2 day 13/14. If that's it for this winter then so be it not been a bad one here, gutted for those who have missed out. However it is only 22 January, still plenty of time yet, give the models a few days as Mr Micawber says in Dickens ' Something will turn up....'

although we have had 2 snow events this winter I would hardly call this winter a good one by any means to be honest here in Northampton. Even the 'good' snow event back in early December failed to stick around for more than 2 days and last weekends 'sunday' snowfall was gone by the end of the day, so I tally our lying snowfall to around 3 days so far this year.  Yes, I suppose its better than the last 4 winters but no way am I happy with 3 day of lying snow and in no way would I call that a good winter.

Posted
1 hour ago, snow freak said:

although we have had 2 snow events this winter I would hardly call this winter a good one by any means to be honest here in Northampton. Even the 'good' snow event back in early December failed to stick around for more than 2 days and last weekends 'sunday' snowfall was gone by the end of the day, so I tally our lying snowfall to around 3 days so far this year.  Yes, I suppose its better than the last 4 winters but no way am I happy with 3 day of lying snow and in no way would I call that a good winter.

2 half days( that's 2 half days not 2 AND a half !! )  of lying snow here IMBY in Gods own county of West Yorkshire, although some in the county at elevation have fared better TBH but not by much....this is another poor winter for me, the last decent snowfall was 2013( in March !! ) and the last for decent low temps was 2010....seems as the years progress the winters produce less and less...global warming??...just a natural cycle ...??...who knows?...ah well, as others have said on here, there's always next year!!!...i have opened the back door, rolled up the towel ..and thrown it in!!..i shall retrieve it 'next winter' when i shall resume my hopeful model watching..till then folks...enjoy the summer !! x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Sidney has just caught up with the latest EC46 update and he's sniffing the coffee :shok:

400eb3d3fc42ca3703920f4ba879f5f9.jpg

Are you sure? Sidney looks a bit plump for mild 

Posted

A pretty good consensus amongst the anomalies this evening in the ext period. All have a strong east Pacific ridge and a pretty intense Canadian vortex, the combination of which has initiated another cold trough down eastern North America, This in turn downstream has promoted the Atlantic high pressure to some extent, but kept in check by the energy leaving the eastern seaboard, but it does form an interesting interaction with the low pressure in southern Europe. Thus a more settled period of weather in the UK with perhaps just the north affected by the aforementioned energy. Nothing obviously evil lurking in the woodshed.

814day_03.thumb.gif.aa9b3cef410adfa4375917a837c91700.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Interesting ext EPS this morning. The European trough becomes positively tilted south of the UK into the western Mediterranean. So this, coupled with the strong amplification upstream is serving to keep the Azores HP honest. Wicked, quite wicked. Not too dissimilar to this

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.92054373b5dff936224e2c9f5a6628e3.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Another vile day here in not so sunny Somerset , as if we haven't had enough rain :angry: