Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Every day for the next 10 days has a forecast high above 10C. No rain either, so that's fine by me. Sick of this damp, cold rubbish. Bring forth an early taste of spring.

yes, tomorrow for me though not great, picks up thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
3 hours ago, James1979 said:

I've been lurking since around 2003 too and mostly agree although I do recall more snowfall back in the 80s and 90s, it's become diabolical the last 4 years. As for the models, I used to get suckered in and so despondent when yet again they didn't materialise for the umpteenth time and that's turned into not flinching when I see a cold spell on the cards again, in fact I barely go in the model thread anymore, it's always jam tomorrow. I don't see the value of modelling anything over 5 days if it's so inaccurate and leading to frustration over and over. The same can be applied to summer where it now seems to see a thunderstorm is as rare as snow in the winter and yet I used to see at least a few a year. 1 decent storm in nearly a decade for me, it's unreal. As a weather lover who's followed it avidly for 31 years I cannot bear the trend for the seasons to converge to a form of warm or cold autumn and I'm sure the level of cloud has gone up!! Nothing of interest seems to happen anymore, and I think I'm giving it up finally and looking for another hobby. Please 2017 deliver something of interest to spite me.

I remember my first winter season (03/04) on net-weather and a 'huge beast from the east' was set to bring a winter akin to that of 47 or 63, with sustained major cold and regular significant falls across the country. I fell for it hook, line and sinker......and then some more. To make things worse a couple of days before it was to set in, the the great John Kettley foretasted on BBC weather a series of Polar lows that would have brought blizzards and major snowfall to north west England and my location at the time, Lancaster.

It all fell to pieces and nothing came of it. I smashed my sink in anger with a builders mug, it totally ruined my day.I look back now and laugh, but I was young, naive and inexperienced. As i have said it took my a long time to suss things out, which is why I made yesterdays post. I thank everyone for the very positive feedback.

Barmada.

• Like 1

Posted

again it is very interesting reading peoples enjoyable interpretation of their choice of winters. I grew up in the mid 70's and clearly remember 1981 and 1987. The best one for me personally where I was living in Purley in Croydon was 1987. we remember the snow plough coming up our road and just ploughing one huge trough in the middle of the road. so after it came through the dads and kids set about digging out passing points on the hill. funnily enough the only person to really use the road was the dustmen and the milkman, he also had chains on his milk float. 1991 was epic as I was working at a company in Croydon and the old slam door trains got stuck just outside east Croydon where the points froze. If I remember rightly I kept watching and watching the side of buildings waiting for the snow to fall. I think this was a midweek dumping of snow. Finally the last two which amounted to the most snow I have seen in a long long long time 2009 February 1st into second the year of thunder snow, also the Thames Streamer. That dropped the most amount of snow that I can remember living in Beckenham at the time. Nothing ran, no buses no train and hardly any cars.

Finally the holy grail in my eyes. 2010 Nov-Dec got to say this is where the synoptic just seemed to be so perfectly aligned. Frosts began mid-late month following a very balmy start to November. And as we say get the cold in first snow usually follows and so it did. we woke up on 1st December to another foot or so. again trains hardly ran buses were even slower. Thislasted for a couple of weeks and bitter bitter temps were recorded -15 widely...

I think a cold blast is unlikely longer than four - 5 day   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Definitely Spring my favourite season. Mild and just full of green.
40 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I remember my first winter season (03/04) on net-weather and a 'huge beast from the east' was set to bring a winter akin to that of 47 or 63, with sustained major cold and regular significant falls across the country. I fell for it hook, line and sinker......and then some more. To make things worse a couple of days before it was to set in, the the great John Kettley foretasted on BBC weather a series of Polar lows that would have brought blizzards and major snowfall to north west England and my location at the time, Lancaster.

It all fell to pieces and nothing came of it. I smashed my sink in anger with a builders mug, it totally ruined my day.I look back now and laugh, but I was young, naive and inexperienced. As i have said it took my a long time to suss things out, which is why I made yesterdays post. I thank everyone for the very positive feedback.

Barmada.

I love seasons truly but to be hoping for cold and storms and tornados...(ok maybe exaggerating here) it is something that I am not particularly looking forward to...Having said that, I should suggest that u shud start traveling to places where the weather satisfies your hobby? I was in Harbin during the ice festival and it was minus 35 and I saw amazing things but I would not come back again, as I look like Robocop with all the layers I was wearing. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

well I for one am done with this winter now.  okay so we did have some cold but as regards snow it was a dismal affair so all I want now is for warmth to start to show rather than this non starter of a winter.  it had its chance and blown it as far as im concerned.

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

This is a good point, as even though many of us have an appreciation for the aesthetics that can arise from very cold weather (especially snowfall and a snow covered landscape), nobody actually enjoys feeling cold. The same as how there's a point when heat becomes a nuisance. At work I often have to go into the walk in freezer to fetch ingredients and I don't find it pleasant (it's about -20c in there or so). If your feeling cold on the shop floor though as I sometimes do, you only have to go in there for a few minutes and it feels perfectly tolerable when you come back out. So I think it's fair to say if I'm honest with myself it's not so much the cold I like, but the weather it has the potential to deliver. But I think that's probably anybody who likes seeing ice and snow. If only water froze at a higher temperature. Also although we may find very mild temperatures in Winter a bit boring at least they're easier to keep comfortable in. I still want it to be cold enough for snow to stick around for long periods though, such is my resistance to my own logic. I just love snow too much.

12 hours ago, ArHu3 said:

This winter was so much better than endless cold rains and wind. I think most coldies actually hate feeling cold and nothing is worse than cold near freezing precipitation like we get normally in winter, even worse when a wind blows it in your face (and all of this without the fun of ice skating, riding a sleigh, snowball fight or building a snowman)

I have to say I like wet and windy weather at 4C that freezes you to near death and saturates you to bone,  there's pleasure in the inconvenience of it .  Saturday was a blissfully miserable day IMO.  A whiteout, show stopping blizzard that delivers 3-4 feet of snow would be top of my list but anything in between that and the lifeless zilch we've had to endure this winter will do me nicely.  The stormy winter of a few years back was brilliant (obviously apart from the thousands who were affected by it), we hadn't seen a run of storms like that in long time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Took a trip to B&Q this morning bought some weed and feed and BBQ Cleaner amongst other things , well and truly in Spring mode now

Edited by Spurry
  • Like 1

Posted

Maybe this winter hasn't been one we wanted, for coldies...as in SNOW!! but it as been COLD, even VERY COLD at times...it as been like a 70's winter to me, COLD n DRY!! with hardly any SNOW...only mild spell was around Xmas but cold yes, for several days now...VERY COLD!! I can take the cold, it doesn't normally bother me... but even i know when its cold!! And it's supposed to be mild this wk, I don't see it...this winter as been one of the strangest I've known...some serious let downs as in brutal cold n snow, like parts of central/east/south eastern europe has experienced...but also very rarely mild ( and I don't think it's going get any where near as mild, like some think )...so I'd say 6 out of 10 this winter for me and still time to get a 7 or 8, if the end of feb or march come good...and the coming yrs might bring the holy grail...the last ten yrs much better than the previous 25yrs plus for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, cheese said:

I don't want cold. I don't, I don't, I don't! I want spring.

I still do, but it's so hard to achieve in the m/e, will just end up, at least in Stafford as frost, biting wind and rain, so yes I agree bring on Spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
On 2/13/2017 at 20:21, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Another fact to consider is the period a lot of members were born and growing up. Due to the fact there was a marked increase in number of colder and snowier Winters in the UK from the 1940s (early-mid 1970s excepted) to the 1980s, anyone who's at least in their late 30s or early 40s will have a skewed perception of what a British Winter should be like. Consequently it reminds them of more care free days, and when it does happen it reignites that spark within and gives them something of a natural high. But maybe the Winters since then are much more typical ie usually mild with little snow, with just the occasional colder and snowier one. Then again some of us younger ones who can't remember the more regular cold Winters of the 1980s are still snow obsessives, and like myself can only remember as far back as the less regular and generally shorter lived snowy episodes of the 1990s. The last 4 years for many of us though has been especially bad in this regard, but hardly unprecedented and a few successive years with little to no snow here is to be expected from time to time in our climate. It may seem like a long time since 2013 and even 2010, but it isn't really. We simply can't expect snow nirvana every year and if we're willing to live here we should really just except that as any Winter approaches there's a good chance we'll get little in the way of snow. We'll get another half decent one eventually just by the law of averages alone, but when we do we should remember a less desirable one is never too far away.

I guess the other thing is unprecedented access to the internet and publicly available NWP. More chance for people to analyse predictions and work each other into a frenzy on internet fora :) If we look back in history, lets say an arbitrary figure of 500 years, there'd definitely be similar "snowless" periods but record keeping is more sparse the further back we get and people of course couldn't moan about day 10 charts that didn't verify :) 

Also worth bearing in mind that it has been a fairly cold winter in much of europe. All too easy for the UK in its geographic position to the west of a continental land mass and warmed by the Gulf stream to be milder though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
11 hours ago, Spurry said:

Took a trip to B&Q this morning bought some weed and feed and BBQ Cleaner amongst other things , well and truly in Spring mode now

Hope you get the grass in good condition for your first big barbecue. Just out of interest who is the very pretty lady in your profile pic, she caught my eye and then I saw below it says you're male from Wigan... :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

:) 

Also worth bearing in mind that it has been a fairly cold winter in much of europe. All too easy for the UK in its geographic position to the west of a continental land mass and warmed by the Gulf stream to be milder though!

You guys and the people living on the dutch coast have been incredibly unlucky, on my day to day commute I usually travel north and south and it had been green all winter but a few weeks ago when I traveled east I only had to drive like 30-40km to enter a winter wonderland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Definitely Spring my favourite season. Mild and just full of green.

Yes, a big big moan about the AQI in Beijing. It is 325 which means I should be moving to the Canary Islands before my lungs explote. I have heard the pollution in France on the same scale was 35 and the government declared state of emergency in the centre of Paris. I even read articles in London and I chuckle....

Apparently, the change of weather contributed to this pollution. It is gloomy, dark and I have got an air purifier next to me. Sighs....

Posted
22 hours ago, minus86BriJ said:

I have to say I like wet and windy weather at 4C that freezes you to near death and saturates you to bone,  there's pleasure in the inconvenience of it .  Saturday was a blissfully miserable day IMO.  A whiteout, show stopping blizzard that delivers 3-4 feet of snow would be top of my list but anything in between that and the lifeless zilch we've had to endure this winter will do me nicely.  The stormy winter of a few years back was brilliant (obviously apart from the thousands who were affected by it), we hadn't seen a run of storms like that in long time.

Wow!!! I thought people like you did not exist...haha (((Joking!!)))

Posted
3 hours ago, Seasonality said:

I guess the other thing is unprecedented access to the internet and publicly available NWP. More chance for people to analyse predictions and work each other into a frenzy on internet fora :) If we look back in history, lets say an arbitrary figure of 500 years, there'd definitely be similar "snowless" periods but record keeping is more sparse the further back we get and people of course couldn't moan about day 10 charts that didn't verify :) 

I don't know exactly what year it would have been but I once heard that Samuel Pepys described in his diary, waking up one morning and noticing the rooftops were capped with snow and commenting it was a sight he had not witnessed in a few years. Considering this was sometime in the late 17th century, which was when the Little Ice Age was in full swing, this is quite incredible. Just goes to show that even in the coldest periods in our history we were by no means immune to milder and snowlesss Winters. In fact Winter 1685/86 was described as incredibly mild, perhaps one of the mildest in recorded history and only occurred 2 years later than the one which is generally regarded as the coldest in recorded history, which was that of 1683/84.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
15 hours ago, Spurry said:

Weed?? Weed has a different meaning these days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

So many people are looking for Spring, meanwhile I'm sitting here hoping that we get as many snow opportunities as we can over the next three months. I must stress however that I won't be actively searching for it like those in the model thread. This is bound to cause some controversy but I think that place is a joke at times. The MJO has shown itself to be waste of time. Charts in FI are useless. People getting hung up over each individual run. I don't think I'll be going back there very often.

• Like 2

Posted

It's just been so tedious this winter. Week after week of cold murk, very few storms and just general nothingness. Total boredom for anyone who enjoys some 'weather' of any kind

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Even the weather forecast on the radio makes no sense, I am sure they said there would be sunny spells this afternoon and all that's happened is the grey mist has gone and we have now proper grey rain.

image.jpg

Edited by Woollymummy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
2 hours ago, adrianh said:

It's just been so tedious this winter. Week after week of cold murk, very few storms and just general nothingness. Total boredom for anyone who enjoys some 'weather' of any kind

Then you'll be surprised when the numbers come out as We look likely to post an 'above average' winter for 2016/17!

Boring as hell but still above average!

• Like 1

Posted

People too quick to write off cold and snow , 7 days is a long long time in the weather world ,

Mother Nature can and will surprise , obsessing with the strength of the sun cracks me up 

it can feel pleasant in the sun on the 21st December in a mild south westerly , whatever next 

we only have a 10 day window for snow !!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
12 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Hope you get the grass in good condition for your first big barbecue. Just out of interest who is the very pretty lady in your profile pic, she caught my eye and then I saw below it says you're male from Wigan... :rofl:

Sunny Sweeney :give_rose:, country music singer from Texas, she's not only gorgeous she's incredibly talented(new album due out soon). As for the grass i'm sure it'll all look great in a few weeks as will the spotlessly clean BBQ  :drunk-emoji:

Edited by Spurry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
8 hours ago, adrianh said:

Couldn't agree more. It been nothingness for the last 3 months. Hardly any rain either which i love to listen to against the roof tiles in my bedroom. 

Roll on summer so we might at least get some electric storms. 

Edited by Snowstalker
Spelling