Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

11 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Is there any other European country/city/Mediterranean island that hasn't had significant snowfall from a polar continental source?

Yes......

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Island

For cities, pretty much any city in any of the above!!! :D.

Don't get the interest in the ECM tonight. Setting aside its 10 days away and its the most amplified of any run I've seen in days (good old ECM), its not even a good day 10 chart as there's only one place that easterly is going............and that's Greece.

15 hours ago, cornish snow said:

You obviously don't work outside.

Lack of cold (snowy) weather aside,i've loved this winter. Been able to get out and work in it most days.I'll need a holiday come spring lol:)

Too right, the amount of time , and money that I've lost  over the years during wet mild winters just doesn't  bear thinking about.:)

Frost on the car at 4pm here on the South coast; now -2c. 

Sunny days and frosty nights with a continental flow over SE England.Never got above 4c today....not a bad winter spell here. 

16 hours ago, cornish snow said:

You obviously don't work outside.

Lack of cold (snowy) weather aside,i've loved this winter. Been able to get out and work in it most days.I'll need a holiday come spring lol:)

Should continue going forward as long as there isn't another cold spell = 4/5 days of persistent rain.

Drizzlefest last couple days ..

Hoping for something in Feb but zero snowfall in Dec and a one day wonder for Jan is pathetic...

I owe an apology to someone I posted in response to around a week ago. I mentioned they was lucky to have a snow event last year and I have just had a reminder on my phone that it was indeed snowing here this time last year . Now  I can't remember it but i have notes logged and a picture too . So sorry .

34 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Frost on the car at 4pm here on the South coast; now -2c. 

Sunny days and frosty nights with a continental flow over SE England.Never got above 4c today....not a bad winter spell here. 

Snap! I'm not minding this "failed" wintry spell at all, max here was 2c today and also frost forming by late afternoon. 

1 hour ago, The Enforcer said:

Is there any other European country/city/Mediterranean island that hasn't had significant snowfall from a polar continental source?

Lisbon?

Lisbon probably has more chance of getting a snowy easterly than London.

Now this weather is rubbish - high pressure, but dull and drizzly. No sunshine or frost up here, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, cheese said:

Now this weather is rubbish - high pressure, but dull and drizzly. No sunshine or frost up here, that's for sure. 

Its vile cheese,it really is.

Boring weather to continue for sometime.

A lady rang earlier and ask if the Easterly on the ECM 240 chart with its bitter cold and snowfall was coming our way. Well if you reading this it isn't but the weather is expected to cool down.

well it worked in October 1987 ???????

Remember the trend is your friend

ecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.png663518a1120d09c01eb0f3290ae37975.jpgecm_z500_anom_nh_11.png

Edited by knocker

-4C this morning here and looks like another cold, sunny day to come. Have had a lot of this agreeable type of weather this winter, not so nice for those stuck under endless cloud.

I don't get the model thread this winter, such as last nights excitement over a day 10 easterly that isn't even an easterly for us, and at face value is a poor chart with us mild and the rest of Europe getting cold again! Same with ensembles when the mean and the majority looks like a Euroslug just because there's a 2% chance of an easterly reaching us..lol. The straw clutching seems worse than ever.. ah well.

5 hours ago, cheese said:

That's been much of this winter's high pressure here.

However, the forecast here has actually improved at the moment for me with 2 or 3 days of decent sunshine. Fine margins but fingers crossed.

Edited by Evening thunder

3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

-4C this morning here and looks like another cold, sunny day to come. Have had a lot of this agreeable type of weather this winter, not so nice for those stuck under endless cloud.

A few degrees below zero and sunny is one of the best kinds of winter weather. Nice for being outdoors, even nicer when the air is clean and crisp. Makes you want to get out and enjoy the day.

-7c reported last night in the SE.

Widely  -6c.

Another sunny cold winters day, highs of 2 or 3c

Hard frost setting in as soon as the sun sets.

With all the dissapointment at another 'freeze bust' in the mod discussion, you have to tell yourself that the 'here and now' ain't too shabby for any winter in the SE, as I survey a frost covered landscape.

20 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

A few degrees below zero and sunny is one of the best kinds of winter weather. Nice for being outdoors, even nicer when the air is clean and crisp. Makes you want to get out and enjoy the day.

Yes, winter sunshine is so welcome here. There have been quite a lot of cold sunny days this season which I'm very grateful for, after the hideous, near constant rain and wind of recent winters. A few days of snow now would nicely top off what has been a mostly very pleasant, if a little boring, winter here.

Definitely need some sunshine. Struggling to get my washing dry before it starts to go mouldy

Upon studying the 06z run of the GFS it is a Azoroslug fest for the foreseeable. Bloody thing sliming its ways up on a southwesterly that frankly bores the eyebrows off me granted the frosts are nice ATM but there's little to get excited about if it's snow you're after ...

9 hours ago, cheese said:

4 days of rain on the bounce, won't stop until high pressure shifts, chance of drier air moving NW on Sat, but not this far north west

Today's better, still cloudy but much brighter, and also dry. Temps at 8C, so all in all a typical January day.