Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

If it's game over for January

Does not look good for southern Uk

Feb.. sun get's stronger, can get snow falling, but getting it to stick around for long becomes increasingly problamatic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

At last i'm learning something. Didn't tell the kids this time,least they won't be disappointed :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Feb.. sun get's stronger, can get snow falling, but getting it to stick around for long becomes increasingly problamatic

I'm verging on spring mode already tbh. You know when you've just generally had enough?? This winter has bored me to tears already.

Trouble is, I have a sinister feeling that this summer is going to be very warm/hot and dry which is going to cause issues with drought and will most likely perpetuate the tedium of on the ground weather conditions. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Just a little something for all the hysteria in the main mod thread. 

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Mmmm, not necessarily. This lot fell overnight in early February 2009, it stuck around for a week or more with sporadic top ups. 

2253_1091276995057_8298_n.jpg

2253_1091277075059_8856_n.jpg

2253_1091277595072_2432_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Poor old UK. Only warm land mass at the same latitude.

gfsnh-9-6.png

Hm - I suspect most people would look at that map and think 'Lucky UK, having such mild winters despite being so far north'.

Just a different perspective. Western Europe having mild winters for its latitude is usually touted as a good thing.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

One good thing about getting old,the years go by quicker,be winter again soon:D

• Like 3

Posted

Another tale of hope out at 10 days away soon disappears! It seems a proper winter in this country is a thing of the past. I think we need to face up to the fact we simply don't get the winters we have grown up with anymore.

Posted

Anyway there is nothing wrong with spam. It was an important part of the menu in our formative years and it's one reason we grew up , lean, fit, and with incisive minds

War time ration.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm verging on spring mode already tbh. You know when you've just generally had enough?? This winter has bored me to tears already.

Trouble is, I have a sinister feeling that this summer is going to be very warm/hot and dry which is going to cause issues with drought and will most likely perpetuate the tedium of on the ground weather conditions. 

I feel your pain CC... 

This winter is shaping up to be one of the worst ever and that is saying something on the back of the previous two! 

The models seem to be playing some kind of sick joke on us, saying hey look at what you could be getting, but you know what, I don't think I'll bother. The thing that really wrecks my head is that when say the GFS is predicting mild mush and storms it always verifies and when it is showing a stonking easterly or barn stormer of a northerly it very rarely, if ever verifies, I mean what is that all about! 

I also get really frustrated when people say well its the UK's location and the 'default' is blah, blah, blah - this didn't seem to be the case in the 1800's when even in the milder winters they had at least one or two descent cold spells or falls of snow! 

Rant over, off home to drown my sorrows in a bottle or two of ale! 

ATB 

Gingerbeard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh well, think of all those lovely spam fritters we have to look forward to!   

SpamFritters.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Yes otherwise this might be on for summer

IMG_0925.PNG

I'd rather it looked like this in winter

P1050925.JPG

A pic I took at the end of the Jan 2010 cold spell

17 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'd be happy if someone could explain how -20 uppers can get down into the Atlantic at the same latitude as us (sometimes even further S) yet we struggle to get to -6 or -7 at 850 level. Will never understand it.

I remember seeing this asked before but I imagine it's because the areas that get that are much closer to the Greenland/Canada snow covered landmasses and the sea ice that forms around them, with much lower SST's. Also some of the coldest air tends to develop over the Greenland/NE Canada area.

Meanwhile we have a much larger expanse of sea warmed by the North Atlantic Drift for the air to cross.. Knowing our luck the coldest air would also develop a shortwave to stop it reaching us..lol

Just one of the many frustrating factors of our climate..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
14 minutes ago, jethro said:

Mmmm, not necessarily. This lot fell overnight in early February 2009, it stuck around for a week or more with sporadic top ups. 

2253_1091276995057_8298_n.jpg

2253_1091277075059_8856_n.jpg

2253_1091277595072_2432_n.jpg

Good times.

It feels like we did better in Feb 09 than 2010 in this neck of the woods. Proper dry, powdery snow as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

I feel your pain CC... 

The thing that really wrecks my head is that when say the GFS is predicting mild mush and storms it always verifies

This

GFS picked up the Christmas storms over a week ahead of them arriving and kept it to reality

When it comes to cold I either drop it completely or waters it down the closer we get

Posted
12 minutes ago, cjwardy said:

Another tale of hope out at 10 days away soon disappears! It seems a proper winter in this country is a thing of the past. I think we need to face up to the fact we simply don't get the winters we have grown up with anymore.

I remember my Mum saying that....and then 78/79, 81, 87 happened. It's only a few years ago when there was nothing but that prognosis on this site, and then 2010 happened. It will happen again.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

I feel your pain CC... 

This winter is shaping up to be one of the worst ever and that is saying something on the back of the previous two! 

The models seem to be playing some kind of sick joke on us, saying hey look at what you could be getting, but you know what, I don't think I'll bother. The thing that really wrecks my head is that when say the GFS is predicting mild mush and storms it always verifies and when it is showing a stonking easterly or barn stormer of a northerly it very rarely, if ever verifies, I mean what is that all about! 

I also get really frustrated when people say well its the UK's location and the 'default' is blah, blah, blah - this didn't seem to be the case in the 1800's when even in the milder winters they had at least one or two descent cold spells or falls of snow! 

Rant over, off home to drown my sorrows in a bottle or two of ale! 

ATB 

Gingerbeard

1800's??? In the period renowned the world over as The Little Ice Age. I think your expectations may be a tad ambitious for ordinary UK winters. Although, according to many solar physicists we're heading into another deep, prolonged, solar minimum, so maybe there is hope.

Posted
10 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Good times.

It feels like we did better in Feb 09 than 2010 in this neck of the woods. Proper dry, powdery snow as well.

Good times indeed. No, 2010 wasn't anything to shout about around here, cold yes, but definitely not snowy compared to the rest of the country.

Posted

I often wish I was completely indifferent to snow or any weather for that matter. Or be one of those people who enjoys it while it lasts but could easily take it or leave it. It would certainly be easier. This is generally how I felt growing up back in the 90s and I only genuinely craved snow for Christmas Day (which never happened back then), although I often wished it for the chance for school to close, rather than for it's own sake. I also used to appreciate the other seasons of the year more back then, whereas I've since become a bit too obsessed by Winter. My obsession really started though with the cold and snowy spell of late December 2000. This was followed a year later by the much more localised (I've since learned) cold and snowy spell of late December 2001 into early January 2002. At the time I fooled myself into expecting such conditions annually only to be disappointed come late December 2002. This kicked off my obsession and probably by 2004 I was constantly glued to weather forums starting with TWO and eventually coming over to here looking for the slightest sign for my fix. Those Winters though up until 2008/09 were complete let downs most of the time but even they weren't as dire as the Winters we've had to endure since 2013/14. The Winters of 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13 really did spoil us however and prior to them I would have given my right arm for just one Winter like that, considering back then the longest lasting cold Winter I could remember well was 1995/96 (which wasn't that brilliant here) and before that I could only remember 1990/91 very, very vaguely. As with any addiction though, you're never satisfied and you just want more. I know it's silly really, but I just can't help it.

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, cheese said:

Hm - I suspect most people would look at that map and think 'Lucky UK, having such mild winters despite being so far north'.

Just a different perspective. Western Europe having mild winters for its latitude is usually touted as a good thing.

That said, colder places than the UK like Scandi and Canada are consistently rated among the best places in the world to live. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ECM, much better FI, but big downgrade on possible NW'ly for low elevations away from the north, Friday 13th downgradeECM0-168.GIF?06-0

ECM1-216.GIF?06-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
29 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

That said, colder places than the UK like Scandi and Canada are consistently rated among the best places in the world to live. 

And now the ECM has produced another nonsense-chart...I do fear that, tomorrow morning, teddies will fly.:D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And now the ECM has produced another nonsense-chart...I do fear that, tomorrow morning, teddies will fly.:D

Ha ha. There could be some very bruised teddies in the morning. I'd say odds are pretty good of that.

injured-teddy-bear-graphic.png

Edited by Seasonality

Posted

Looks as though the ECM has come to save the day in the MOD thread. Think I'm coming to the point though where I'll reserve my excitement for when I actually witness snowflakes falling outside my window and more so when I witness it rapidly settling.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think we're moving into an era where it is increasingly difficult to get lowland snow off a straight northerly, because of the anomalous warmth of the Arctic, but the continental masses (Greenland, Canada, Eurasia) are not warming at anywhere near as fast a rate.  An irony of this situation is that Scotland and Northern Ireland have recently tended to pick up more widespread snow from polar maritime westerlies and north-westerlies than from arctic maritime northerlies.  We're still a long way away from polar/arctic continental air masses not being cold enough though, indeed a "northerly with an easterly source" culminated in a frontal snow event across Scotland and northern England as early as 9 November this year.

The climate of the Arctic is very variable so it may well be that in some future winters we get nearer average sea ice cover in the Barents/Kara region and the anomalous warmth being concentrated over the other side of the Arctic Ocean (as happened in winters 2010/11 and 2014/15 for example), leading to northerlies delivering again, but it's looking like a very tall order to get it to happen this season, given how sparse the ice currently is in the Barents Sea.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2