Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Funny how Thursdays produce amazing winter weather then by Friday morning its all slowly disappearing...the charts below were being posted in the model thread last Thursday

5864e97c4703b_ScreenShot2016-12-29at10_45_19_png_5023a58e1f28ee36e58d6d9df888271f.bmp

gens-0-0-276.bmp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

If anything 06Z bit better, slightly further west, around 12 hour possible snow window for my location, obviously winds have to be just right

hgt500-1000.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
3 hours ago, sparky1972 said:

its ok everyone, i think its safe to say winters over, just seen the front page of the Daily Express and it says coldest winter for 6 years, well surely that cant be hard to achieve, but i guess it can.

Well, around 4th February is Imbolc, the start of Pagan Spring!

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

It is a difficult one isn't it. On the one hand it is better than endless mild rain and we have had some decent frosts and cool sunny days. On the other hand it's unrelentingly boring.

Boring it may be to some but I'm loving all the sunny days and frosty nights this winter. What a fantastic change to recent hideous winters completely dominated by Atlantic storms, cloud, rain and wind. Beats an inch of slush too any day! If we can get a decent easterly this winter with proper ice days and snow, great, but if not, the sunny high pressure will do me nicely.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Daren't post this in the Model thread, but just for @nick sussex

The British weather generally really is the Spam of global weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes some bizarre comments by some people. Wanting cold weather, then when it arrives it's boring... Much better today though with grey skies and rain just beginning...

Re the models, I personally never bought into the easterly. I'm more a fan of northerlies that become easterlies I.e. get the snow in at the start of the cold spell then keep it via a dry easterly rather than wait for a breakdown event. I'm still optimistic for some wintry showers late next week and a trip to the hills may be in order.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 hours ago, JOPRO said:

Told you so merchants out in force on the Mod thread this morning, BORE OFF!!!!!! 

I-told-you-so-y-u-no-trust-me.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Daren't post this in the Model thread, but just for @nick sussex

The British weather generally really is the Spam of global weather.

temp_eur2_zjc7.png

The weather Gods have listened to the 'voice of the people' ...:diablo:

BTW, always been a fan of spam fritters but the lovely Danish chopped pork in the big round tin is no more.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

temp_eur2_zjc7.png

BTW, always been a fan of spam fritters but the lovely Danish chopped pork in the big round tin is no more.

Ireland is the worst, milder and wetter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
23 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

temp_eur2_zjc7.png

Looks like it's Turkey's turn to be mild and wet en masse on that map! 20C on the north coast where I'm sure they not long ago had lake-effect snow.

20 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Looks like it's Turkey's turn to be mild and wet en masse on that map! 20C on the north coast where I'm sure they not long ago had lake-effect snow.

Water levels are really low for January. Southern Water main Resovoir just around 53 %. Praying for a wet spring or Summer washout.... Though really i dont need to pray for that.

Posted
1 hour ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Water levels are really low for January. Southern Water main Resovoir just around 53 %. Praying for a wet spring or Summer washout.... Though really i dont need to pray for that.

Yes otherwise this might be on for summer

IMG_0925.PNG

Posted

75/76 was a very dry mild and uneventful winter like this one and of course a long hot summer followed with drought orders and the rest

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

75/76 was a very dry mild and uneventful winter like this one and of course a long hot summer followed with drought orders and the rest

Yes there seems to be a general pattern of dry winters leading to anticyclonic summers with odd anomalies such as the wet 1994/95 winter. I wonder if the neutral effect of ENSO has anything to do with it?

Posted
3 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

temp_eur2_zjc7.png

That's painful to look at, though I'm not sure how accurate it is. No way was it 2C here this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

After looking at the 12Z GFS so far it does make you wonder why we even bother looking for cold and snow for the UK. Futile 99% of the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'd be happy if someone could explain how -20 uppers can get down into the Atlantic at the same latitude as us (sometimes even further S) yet we struggle to get to -6 or -7 at 850 level. Will never understand it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Haha, love the "you get what you asked for" Brexit snow map above. I was sad when I looked out of the window and saw the short term models were right about the frost going and the rain coming, boo hiss, but if you need a bit of schadenfreude to make you feel better, pity the poor Californians who have longed for rain for so long, but are now going to drown or have their lovely hillside mansions wash away.... Santa Cruz, Ca rainfall forecast for this Sunday:

image.jpg

Posted

Triggers, sliders, topplers abound this evening. How about squashers?

Major upper trough/cold air squashes mid Atlantic ridge, initiating another strong thermal gradient a.k.a the SW jet.

gfs_uv250_natl_38.png

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

After looking at the 12Z GFS so far it does make you wonder why we even bother looking for cold and snow for the UK. Futile 99% of the time.

The answer is dont look at the GFS, its useless.

If we had the range of information for either the ECM or UKMO that we have for the GFS I doubt we would even look at it.

Posted

Poor old UK. Only warm land mass at the same latitude.

gfsnh-9-6.png

Posted

With regards to this winter, I don't find the boring comments bizzare, I agree tbh.

I'd take this winter above December 2015 for sure, but it seems we've had far less sunny days and frosts than many places, bar a few decent ones recently such as Tuesday morning (we were on the edge yesterday). December had 3 weeks of mainly mild, damp, dull weather-less rubbish.

Now it's back to hunt for any hint of brightness in the 7 day forecast for here :lazy: 
At least it then looks like going more PM dominated but the Abores high is always lurking.

I'd happily take a crisp cold high pressure dominated spells with hard frosts and sunny days, but mostly that's not been the case here.

Tbh I can't remember feeling more frustrated/dispirited about our weather than this winter really, it may well be a cumulative effect of recent winters and raised expectations for this winter, constant hype and good charts, watching even Italy getting -15C 850's which we haven't had since 1991 I believe... etc, etc. Can't really blame me lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Poor old UK. Only warm land mass at the same latitude.

gfsnh-9-6.png

Damn that gulf stream, is there nothing we can do to turn it off? What we need is a Trump-esque wall built right across the Atlantic, from sea floor upwards. Surely some boffin could come up with a plan....build turbines into it, add in some ground source heat pumps and sell the idea as a 'cure all' for green energy.