Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

still way below freezing here..its been one of the coldest Easters on record..another -20c night to come

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

still way below freezing here..its been one of the coldest Easters on record..another -20c night to come

Brilliant - Canada has such an awesome climate! :clap:

• Like 1

Continuing to see pressure rises to the east in the medium term but the problem remains the precise the precise postion and orientation of the trough in the eastern Atlantic.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_57.thumb.png.9334a7032c45720b49fbc30bf0277099.png814day_03.thumb.gif.83e94bceb647b8081fc712740d36473a.gif

10 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

wow how can it still be so cold in April,won't it suddenly warm there soon.

Spring warmth still being held at bay for the foreseeable it seems. 

Cannot wait for a dry warm spell, and to leave the coat and brolly at home for a while. Hopefully, we'll get lucky with an early and long summer. Need it after what feels like a never-ending winter.

• Like 1

could be a cold year,about time too ,this pattern looks locked in,next winter could be mega for cold.about time

Posted (edited)

I suspect many more people will be booking foreign holidays if the current weather persists all year.. wet, cool summers are never good for the UK tourism industry (or anything else really).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

If it were dry and warm now we would be getting those saying we were using up all the nice days now and were destined for a poor summer. Luckily no one knows what this year will bring. 

• Like 2

I agree :clap:its a waiting game in the summer to see if the weather paterns will shift into a more summery  scenario..It does eventually as we head into september but then its all to late. Hopefully  spring this year  is our summer set up of recent years. where we are waiting for good weather to appear. June and July will be september and october of the last decade :pardon:

5 hours ago, cheese said:

I suspect many more people will be booking foreign holidays if the current weather persists all year.. wet, cool summers are never good for the UK tourism industry (or anything else really).

1962 was a wet cool summer - just sayin' :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Purga said:

Really? Interesting. I wonder, if summer 2018 is wet and cool, it will be followed by a mild winter like 2011-2012, or 2007-2008. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Only problem with warm rain,the slugs are back already argggggg !  , cant believe I found one on my kitchen floor tiles today, :cc_confused: its never happened before , the patio doors where shut , I think it sneaked up the plug hole from the waste pipe ,  the stuff of nightmares ...or less likely the tiny gap where the pipe exits  

I am mortified   , full bottle of bleach down the plug hole and the rubber plug stays in too !  , just in case, tiny gap will get sealed tomorrow, and a few pellets sprinkled    :rofl: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purga said:

............and followed by that awful winter.  I lived through that.

6 hours ago, cheese said:

Really? Interesting. I wonder, if summer 2018 is wet and cool, it will be followed by a mild winter like 2011-2012, or 2007-2008. 

What makes you think that based on 1962? That Summer was followed by the coldest Winter in over 200 years. 2007 was followed by a mild Winter, but on the other hand 2012, which was similar wasn't. Not that I think that we will have much clue about how next Winter might play out until late Autumn at least and at this point it's anybody's guess. The same applies to the coming Summer aswell, which could turn out any which way yet as far as I'm concerned. I would prefer a warm sunny one though as you can make more use out of it then, plus they look better than grey and rainy ones. But I don't tend to mind too much really how Summer turns out compared to Winter I have to say. Plus the fact all types of Summers have preceded all types of Winters, so I don't tend to believe that one type would necessarily lead to a certain type of Winter anyway.

1976, 1983, 1989, 2006 and 2013 all had horror starts to spring, in some cases with winter extending into March or even April.

They all had warm/hot, and in most cases sunnier than average summers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, B87 said:

1976, 1983, 1989, 2006 and 2013 all had horror starts to spring, in some cases with winter extending into March or even April.

They all had warm/hot, and in most cases sunnier than average summers.

Indeed, 2006 was marginally colder than this year to the end of March and ended up being the warmest year on record at the time (since beaten by 2014).

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

............and followed by that awful FANTASTIC winter.  I lived through that.

Tided for you ! :clap:

I lived through it to - never had a winter better since! :good:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Gawd it is April, spring and yet a fair number are still hankering after something cold. I can't wait to get 20C and be able to sit in the garden and feel pleasantly warm. Much better than dashing out to the bin or giving the fish a quick feed. Winter is fine in winter but NOT from now on. I'll accept a 36-48 hour cold northerly but please no more damn winds from off the N Sea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Gawd it is April, spring and yet a fair number are still hankering after something cold. I can't wait to get 20C and be able to sit in the garden and feel pleasantly warm. Much better than dashing out to the bin or giving the fish a quick feed. Winter is fine in winter but NOT from now on. I'll accept a 36-48 hour cold northerly but please no more damn winds from off the N Sea.

John...

Interested in your fish.. I assume you mean outside?.

I have just started feeding mine since the cold moved away at the weekend. 

They seem quite hungry.

I am watching for another cold spell, as to feed them when the temp is below 10C  (when they will accept it!) is considered to be not good for them.

This year they have not been fed since early November. It is the longest period they  have been without being fed.

They still seem very healthy.  (7 quite large Koi, together with  assorted Rudd, Blue and Golden Orfe, a well as the kids goldfish and Shubunkins (from indoor tanks!)  and Tench (blue and golden). I used to have dace but I think they have all died off now!

I have them in 3 interconnecting ponds with continuous circulation via a home made pond filter (an old cast iron bath!) , and a lot of them are over 20 years old, with the real old-timers over 30 now.  I have to keep them 'netted' because the Herons are rife around here. 

MIA

Might not be very warm here yet but what a change it makes to wake up and see blue skies and the sun streaming in. I feel like I’m betraying my winter loving heart

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jemma Croton said:

Might not be very warm here yet but what a change it makes to wake up and see blue skies and the sun streaming in. I feel like I’m betraying my winter loving heart

A little bit of spring warmth would be most welcome now and well overdue 😁

• Like 1

Nice to see some blue skies and sunshine, will be able to get some work done today.:)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Nice to see some blue skies and sunshine, will be able to get some work done today.:)

Wonderful blue skies and sunshine here too. Have to start a patio so perfect conditions for that. 

• Like 1

Not a cloud in the sky, beautiful sunny day ahead 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞:)

Posted (edited)

A stunning day on the way hope we have many more days like this in the weeks ahead but hotter obviously

29695244_2200425076640917_4293602084810391552_o.thumb.jpg.21022a50cc7fd5124241cb5b70bb7441.jpg

Edited by Summer Sun