Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
59 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Most would rather be inside on their tablets/phones regardless of the weather. Years ago we would be out come rain or shine, got muddy and still had a smile on our faces, makes you wonder why the current batch of little darlings can't deal with a bit of aggro? 

Very true! Some bloke on the SE thread cancelled an Under 15s footy match last sunday because it rained.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Very true! Some bloke on the SE thread cancelled an Under 15s footy match last sunday because it rained.

Now that is just silly! I’m not a fan of wet days but there’s plenty of things that can still go ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I feel like people are kind of missing the point here.. we used to play football in the snow in high school, and this was in the late 90s/early 00s. I even remember playing during a hail shower. Whether people can do stuff outdoors in inclement weather is irrelevant to the point that doing outdoor activities is simply much more enjoyable if the weather is nice. This is just common sense. When people plan outdoor activities, they are always mindful of the weather. It's not that everything stops and the whole world stays indoors just because it's overcast, but that people have much more enthusiasm to get outdoors on a sunny summer's day, especially in a country like the UK where the weather for most of the year is quite frankly terrible, so what few nice days we get are savoured.

People can also do a number of outdoor activities in the heat - we played football when it was hot too, and ran cross country, but I know a lot of people on here wouldn't want to and would complain endlessly if they had to. It seems like some people on here can scarcely do anything at all when the temperature exceeds 25C!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, cheese said:

today's weather is pretty much perfect and would be ideal for the rest of August. Warm, gentle breeze, blue skies - surely the kind of weather that appeals to everyone. No idea why anyone would want it to be cloudy and rainy (not saying you do but I know some on here love that kind of stuff).

Can't argue with anything there totally agree Cheese,nobody should want this school holiday period spoilt by prolonged rain and wind. No matter what their preference is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 hours ago, cheese said:

Shock horror, people don't want to be outside when it's raining. Big deal. Most normal people don't.

In any case, it's not that kids can't go outside and play when the weather isn't nice, it's more a case that going outside to play is a much nicer experience when it is. All of my best childhood memories involve being outside when it's sunny and warm - the summer of 1995 was the best of my life for that very reason. 

For what it's worth, I went for a bike ride today - temperature was 25C with sunny skies. I saw loads of kids, families and people in general enjoying the weather, kicking a football around, eating ice creams, and just enjoying life. You don't see anything like that when it's 18C and overcast. Sunny, warm weather has a huge positive impact on people's moods.

You don't because unless you join them there are things like indoor sports/leisure facilities you know and being indoors doesn't mean a ban on ice cream neither. Funnily enough you can buy tubs at the supermarket not just from an ice cream van. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, cheese said:

It seems like some people on here can scarcely do anything at all when the temperature exceeds 25C!

25c is more that hot enough for most,anything over that and yes activity outdoors,especially strenuous becomes uncomfortable many find.It's all about being comfortable on that we are all different. Personally anything over 25c and i stay indoors,just find it much more bearable.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

swifts have gone
lilies have finished
jasmine has finished
buddlia will be finishing soon
nights drawing in

and the heat looks like its departing by wednesday... with no real indication itll return anytime soon

with a deep atlantic low heading our way for next weekend, lets face it... summer looks like being over.

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

swifts have gone
lilies have finished
jasmine has finished
nights drawing in

and the heat looks like its departing by wednesday... with no real indication itll return anytime soon

with a deep atlantic low heading our way for next weekend, lets face it... summer looks like being over.

Genuine question; have the background signals that you self and others said looked for good for more heat now changed or flipped(if that's possible) like the models often do?

Next Wednesday is only the 8th august.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
38 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

swifts have gone
lilies have finished
jasmine has finished
nights drawing in

Over in what sense? Are you suggesting it’s going to be wet and windy from Wednesday all the way through to the end of August?

Its possible that warmer weather could return again after next weekend. We may not see 32c again, we we could still sunny weather with temperatures into the mid 20s, which is nothing to be sniffed at. 

There isn’t any way anyone could suggest that there is no chance of hitting 30c again either. 

We have 25 days of August still to run, and we can still get 30c in September. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 5

Posted
47 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

swifts have gone
lilies have finished
jasmine has finished
nights drawing in

Very surprised at this post. You are normally very logical with your analysis.

The nights have been drawing in since the start of July. That’s the only reason I don’t like August. But to write the month off based on a couple of model runs?

Hi everyone. Slightly alarmed to read all this doom and gloom talk this morning. Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope beyond next weekend? Whole of my family are in Cornwall for the week and feel like from reading the forums this morning we’re going to spend most of our time battening down the hatches and staring into the abyss!! Is this a LP that’s going to stall over us or can we at least take some hope that it will rattle through and we have Sunshine and showers? (Or better still it heads a bit further north and we may get some Azores ridging)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, valledym said:

Hi everyone. Slightly alarmed to read all this doom and gloom talk this morning. Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope beyond next weekend? Whole of my family are in Cornwall for the week and feel like from reading the forums this morning we’re going to spend most of our time battening down the hatches and staring into the abyss!! Is this a LP that’s going to stall over us or can we at least take some hope that it will rattle through and we have Sunshine and showers? (Or better still it heads a bit further north and we may get some Azores ridging)

Hundreds of thousands of people will be packing for Boardmasters, Boomtown and various other festivals next weekend too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
58 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Genuine question; have the background signals that you self and others said looked for good for more heat now changed or flipped(if that's possible) like the models often do?

Next Wednesday is only the 8th august.

i only look as far as the noaa 500mb charts - so 2 weeks. other then that its guessing based on past patterns.  all modelling suggests westerly average weather after wednesday. now its true these can change, but as i see it the trend is moving away from ridging domination to troughing. so based on current outputs theres no quick way back to heat. recent history of augusts suggest that unsettled is more likely then settled.

you know im a heat lover, so will be happy for these current outputs to be wrong and something hot emerge... so im not saying for certain summer (in terms of heat) is over, but its more likely then a return to settled/heat imho.

54 minutes ago, danm said:

Over in what sense? Are you suggesting it’s going to be wet and windy from Wednesday all the way through to the end of August?

Its possible that warmer weather could return again after next weekend. We may not see 32c again, we we could still sunny weather with temperatures into the mid 20s, which is nothing to be sniffed at. 

There isn’t any way anyone could suggest that there is no chance of hitting 30c again either. 

We have 25 days of August still to run, and we can still get 30c in September. 

nope.... im saying what the models are all showing, no return to high pressure/settled with lengthy spells of heat - in other words the pattern we have enjoyed over the last 6 weeks doesnt look like returning.

not bothered what temps we might get in autumn...summer isnt about temps alone, s my post hinted at.

41 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Very surprised at this post. You are normally very logical with your analysis.

The nights have been drawing in since the start of July. That’s the only reason I don’t like August. But to write the month off based on a couple of model runs?

yes but the drawing in of nights is more noticable now. not so much 'a couple of model runs' as explained above..

• Like 1

Posted

The models are pretty naff post 144 though so it’s still foolish to write off the whole month. Rob, you know as well as anyone that the output a week or more away will change. It may not, of course,  yet to say there’s no chance of the heat returning is premature. 3 days time and they could be showing HP domination again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Can only say that I am really looking forward to the upcoming cool-down.:drinks:

Then again, with vast swathes of the Northern Hemisphere still 'enjoying' anomalous heat, who's to say that we'll not see more hot weather/plumes between now and the end of October? There's plenty of time yet!

One trough, over the UK, does not a disaster make?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Thundery showers from a normal low would be something we havn`t had this summer.

Rtavn1921.gif

Apart from July 27th/28th?

Posted
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

swifts have gone
lilies have finished
jasmine has finished
nights drawing in

Thought summer finished 31st August  writing off three weeks of summer at end of first week ,since when has any computer model been accurate after a few days ahead.People think the virtual weather world is the real one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yep, a lot of people being overly pessimistic. We are on for a cooler and more unsettled spell, there’s no doubt about that. Despite what the models show in FI, you cannot write off the rest of the summer on the 5th of August. 

• Like 2

Posted

Think of all the times we see the endless zonal train on the model output during winter. Things then pop up in the output at faulty short range. Plenty of time yet.

Edited by Djdazzle

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Apart from July 27th/28th?

That was a hot Sly plume and we had nothing from that anyway.

I was saying about a coolish low slam bang on top like what ECM was showing on last night`s run.

Or one from the past like this cracker but this was exceptional.Rrea00120040818.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Snowyowl9 said:

That was a hot Sly plume and we had nothing from that anyway.

I'm just pointing out: "Thundery showers from a normal low would be something we havn`t had this summer" isn't true.

2018-08-05.thumb.png.8f67b0a82e1b9feac55c601ff8c87c74.png AVN_1_2018072800_1.thumb.png.7567d58c162cb8ae8bc6429058555c25.png