Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Somewhat premature on the "possibly ends summer" argument, surely?  Anyway, even if it does, haven't we had an unusual, possibly extreme, dry hot summer already?

Yes maybe, but never know, August is known for cooler Atlantic weather, especially further away from the SE you go

feel as though we will have to pay for this good summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, stainesbloke said:

You could argue that! Obviously, some weather conditions would challenge you more than others. A standard British winter isn’t much fun though, is it? Compared to summer sunshine and warmth, anyway. Think the majority of us agree that 35C anywhere without AC isn’t pleasant, but this summer we’ve only had a few days like that. 

I think it's the degree to which conditions deviate from average that causes difficulties.  Just as the Somerset Levels couldn't deal with vast amounts of winter rain a few winters back, and many of us struggled with snow depth in March, so 33-35C combined with near-50% humidity affects the country as our houses, agriculture and lifestyles aren't adapted to it.  By contrast, some rain, wind and chilly weather in autumn and winter is closer to our usual.  Of course, that can still be bad news for someone with SAD, but a light box is cheaper than installing air conditioning or moving to a house designed to keep the interior cool in the heat.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes maybe, but never know, August is known for cooler Atlantic weather, especially further away from the SE you go

feel as though we will have to pay for this good summer

I think you'll find that many are quite happy to pay for some cooler, wetter weather, though I'm not asking for three weeks of continuous rain, just slightly cooler temperatures (mid-upper 20s rather than mid-30s) and a few wet nights to help farmers/growers and gardeners like me.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think you'll find that many are quite happy to pay for some cooler, wetter weather, though I'm not asking for three weeks of continuous rain, just slightly cooler temperatures (mid-upper 20s rather than mid-30s) and a few wet nights to help farmers/growers and gardeners like me.

I would be happy with cooler early to mid 20's but DRY

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I would be happy with cooler early to mid 20's but DRY

Some livestock farmers are sending animals to slaughter already as they're using their winter silage now (no grass growth) and they'll run out long before next spring.  Crops, especially root vegetables and salads but even cereals around here are failing as well - the rain we had over the weekend and early this week will keep them going for a few days, but more hot, dry weather will cause them to wilt again.  If we have to import most of our food over the winter and most of next year to compensate for the effects of this drought, our weekly shop will become much more expensive.  I think if I hear people on the news this winter moaning about the cost of vegetables in the supermarkets I'm going to get annoyed.  I really don't think people in our modern, urbanised era when many people have almost no contact with or understanding of nature understand that we're still vulnerable to climatic extremes.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Already got those!

me too :)

Posted
28 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Some livestock farmers are sending animals to slaughter already as they're using their winter silage now (no grass growth) and they'll run out long before next spring.  Crops, especially root vegetables and salads but even cereals around here are failing as well - the rain we had over the weekend and early this week will keep them going for a few days, but more hot, dry weather will cause them to wilt again.  If we have to import most of our food over the winter and most of next year to compensate for the effects of this drought, our weekly shop will become much more expensive.  I think if I hear people on the news this winter moaning about the cost of vegetables in the supermarkets I'm going to get annoyed.  I really don't think people in our modern, urbanised era when many people have almost no contact with or understanding of nature understand that we're still vulnerable to climatic extremes.

..... and yet we are still destroying good agricultural land by building on it... i know we need more housing, but destroying fertile land? the greatest act of stupidity we can inflict on our descendants .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Haha, yes, can’t wait for months of darkness, wind, rain, mud and slush, if lucky. What’s not to look forward to, being cooped up indoors? 

......................and SAD

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

......................and SAD

Genuine question; would a UV lamp or some sort of 'light box' help?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think it's the degree to which conditions deviate from average that causes difficulties.  Just as the Somerset Levels couldn't deal with vast amounts of winter rain a few winters back, and many of us struggled with snow depth in March, so 33-35C combined with near-50% humidity affects the country as our houses, agriculture and lifestyles aren't adapted to it.  By contrast, some rain, wind and chilly weather in autumn and winter is closer to our usual.  Of course, that can still be bad news for someone with SAD, but a light box is cheaper than installing air conditioning or moving to a house designed to keep the interior cool in the heat.

Yes, but conditions do deviate from average. It’s just less pronounced here than somewhere with a more continental climate. How long have we actually had 33-35C? A couple of days. Much of the summer has been warm and sunny, but generally not uncomfortably so. Winter rain and wind often goes on for months at a time, with just occasional respites. I know AC can be expensive but surely it’s worth installing, especially in the S and E of Britain that gets the warmest temperatures. A light box does bugger all for my SAD, I just make the best of it and try to see positives (there are a few, like longer sleep, winter pub lunches, cosy nights in, etc.) Still, I don’t like British winters and find them more difficult each year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It's not UV but a specific wavelength of blue light (if I remember correctly its 450nm).  I've got a pukka SAD lamp but will have to bring it out as soon as the nights really begin to draw in.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Don’t know about Pete but they don’t help me (haven’t tried many though, I’m sure you get what you pay for). Above average sunshine in winter is a boost, as is cold/frosty/foggy weather. Too much wind and rain is depressing but I’m grateful that my job gets me out of the UK 2-4 times a month. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Think the majority of us agree that 35C anywhere without AC isn’t pleasant

You've hit the nail on the head there with regard to my so called moaning I've had 2 months now of working in largely 35c plus temps every day,many over 40c(record was 43c) No aircon is allowed due to CQC requirements.Surely i'm entitled to moan a little bit? A old fart like myself can only take so much!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

You've hit the nail on the head there with regard to my so called moaning I've had 2 months now of working in largely 35c plus temps every day,many over 40c(record was 43c) No aircon is allowed due to CQC requirements.Surely i'm entitled to moan a little bit? 

Yes, that does sound horrid. At least you have aircon in the car and at home, something others on here could do with installing.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

It's not UV but a specific wavelength of blue light (if I remember correctly its 450nm).  I've got a pukka SAD lamp but will have to bring it out as soon as the nights really begin to draw in.

I’ll have to look into getting one of those

• Like 1

Posted

ok... heres a ramp.

i dont buy this westerly outlook for weeks.. ok there will be nice spells, hot even at times (after this next one is over) .

i reckon the anomaly charts are going to do a 'step change', when they switch from a rather benign outlook to one promising more amplified ridging and a long hot spell!

this is based on nothing more then guessing, and wishful thinking with a dash of 'seen it happen before'...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
24 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Hope it really helps. 

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

ok... heres a ramp.

i dont buy this westerly outlook for weeks.. ok there will be nice spells, hot even at times (after this next one is over) .

i reckon the anomaly charts are going to do a 'step change', when they switch from a rather benign outlook to one promising more amplified ridging and a long hot spell!

this is based on nothing more then guessing, and wishful thinking with a dash of 'seen it happen before'...

Met office outlook from mid August to end still saying temps above average, with further spells v warm perhaps hot 'probable' more so the south. Interesting its probable and not possible.

Nearer the end than the beginning now, so less of a concern for me.

Posted

Daily Express getting over excited claiming it's going to be 43c next week, maybe the person who typed the model got the 4 and 3 wrong way around

ex.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, NTC said:

Daily Express getting over excited claiming it's going to be 43c next week, maybe the person who typed the model got the 4 and 3 wrong way around

ex.jpg

Which model is that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, NTC said:

ex.jpg

What a wunch of bankers they have at the Daily Excess!⚓

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
10 minutes ago, NTC said:

ex.jpg

That is ground temperature and not the air temperature at the surface.

Nothing exceeding the end of last week in terms of heat on offer (yet) but still high twenties/low thirties likely until almost the middle of next week.

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

That is ground temperature and not the air temperature at the surface.

Nothing exceeding the end of last week in terms of heat on offer (yet) but still high twenties/low thirties likely until almost the middle of next week.

Tarmac or grass?

Never tried Tarmac btw.