Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

What intrigues me is if we can have a decent warm dry August which seems to have been the missing link for so long we have had great July's & great Septembers but not a half decent August since 2003 . It looked as much of a certain as it could a few days ago that a decent August was in prospect it just feels it might be less certain......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

As the days go by the return to any prolonged heat looks less and less likely. Starting to shape up to be a much more bearable pleasant month than the previous 2 in this long Summer!

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

As the days go by the return to any prolonged heat looks less and less likely. Starting to shape up to be a much more bearable pleasant month than the previous 2 in this long Summer!

That sounds perfect.   I love fine summer weather, but not extreme heat where you cant go out, can do anything and cant sleep at night.   A couple of fine weeks with temps 25-28c max would be lovely.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

What intrigues me is if we can have a decent warm dry August which seems to have been the missing link for so long we have had great July's & great Septembers but not a half decent August since 2003 . It looked as much of a certain as it could a few days ago that a decent August was in prospect it just feels it might be less certain......

All depends what happens with the high pressure area and corresponding heat low to the south. Part of me would like to see how high the temperatures could get but likewise, I'd be quite happy for a more prolonged dry and sunny spell with less high temperatures if that means settled for longer.

Posted
15 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

and after hyping it up, and it dosen't happen, no posts for a few days

He be gone now until winter comes,then be screaming that the day after tomorrow scenario will be hitting the U.K.He he only joking Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Nath said:

That sounds perfect.   I love fine summer weather, but not extreme heat where you cant go out, can do anything and cant sleep at night.   A couple of fine weeks with temps 25-28c max would be lovely.  

That's exactly what we had for most of July and people like markyo were still complaining about it being too warm, though I agree that most people would be perfectly happy with such conditions, especially if it's with low humidity as was the case in late June and most of July (except the final 10 or so days when it became more humid).

In any case, be careful what you wish for - the way the model output is slowly deteriorating, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if August ends up a cool, wet, dull month, which would certainly benefit nobody.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

let's ramp up, the not as hot as expected party !!

just over 24 hours ago, the Met O 7 day, had me down for 27 / 28 at the weekend

it's now 22 / 24 at the weekend

much better in terms of comfort, the tourist's still have something to enjoy, but we can all still sleep at night

i don't understand those, who want 'oven' conditions 24/7 in a country where homes do not have A/C

• Like 3

Posted
47 minutes ago, cheese said:

if August ends up a cool, wet, dull month, which would certainly benefit nobody.

Speak for yourself Cheese!

I complained when i was to hot,actual numbers are irrelevant,you moan its cold at 10c,to me no way is that even cool. As i've said many many times,try doing my job for a week,your view would be challenged i feel.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stevofunnelcl said:

let's ramp up, the not as hot as expected party !!

just over 24 hours ago, the Met O 7 day, had me down for 27 / 28 at the weekend

it's now 22 / 24 at the weekend

much better in terms of comfort, the tourist's still have something to enjoy, but we can all still sleep at night

i don't understand those, who want 'oven' conditions 24/7 in a country where homes do not have A/C

27/28C isn't 'oven' conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, markyo said:

Speak for yourself Cheese!

I complained when i was to hot,actual numbers are irrelevant,you moan its cold at 10c,to me no way is that even cool. As i've said many many times,try doing my job for a week,your view would be challenged i feel.

I certainly don't moan it's cold when it's 10C. I never moaned once it was too cold during the cold spell in March. Cold doesn't bother me. 

Of course, if it was 10C during the day in July then yes I probably would, but that's virtually impossible anyway.

1 minute ago, cheese said:

I certainly don't moan it's cold when it's 10C. I never moaned once it was too cold during the cold spell in March. Cold doesn't bother me. 

Of course, if it was 10C during the day in July then yes I probably would, but that's virtually impossible anyway.

I've had 11c here in July 2012

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

I've had 11c here in June 2012

We had a max below 10C in June 2012! But as far as I'm aware we've never come close to being that cold in July, or August. 

June 2012 was the worst month ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

We had a max below 10C in June 2012! But as far as I'm aware we've never come close to being that cold in July, or August. 

June 2012 was the worst month ever.

I've had 8c in June typo meant July ,think Irish sea SSTs where poor in 2012 hence low temps 

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

think it was this one, Wimbledon's coldest day, think max was only 10 degrees, spectators in winter gear, very little play

archives-1997-6-26-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I am off on my regular visit to Portugal in two weeks time just praying the heat subsidies 

The all time European could go this week with 52c forecast for inland areas

Of Portugal 

Luckily I am more near the coast but temperatures still near to 40c here cannot wait

C.S

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

I am off on my regular visit to Portugal in two weeks time just praying the heat subsidies 

The all time European could go this week with 52c forecast for inland areas

Of Portugal 

Luckily I am more near the coast but temperatures still near to 40c here cannot wait

C.S

You will certainly need the sea with those temps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
18 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You will certainly need the sea with those temps!

Most of the forecast I have seen are suggesting temperatures of 33-35c for the next 2 weeks which suits me fine 

C.S

Posted

I'm currently in a village 350m asl not far from Nerja in andalusia.  In an old trad house, shutters, ceiling fans etc. It's been very hot but as nothing for some of Iberia over the next few days.  We're borderline East andalusia so may escape the real fierce heat.  Who knows.  Anyway here's the translation of the Spanish met warning.  Not the sort of thing we see at home in UK even in the semi continental weather in the SE:

1.- Meteorological phenomenon: Heat wave
2.- Geographical scope: Great part of the Peninsula
3.- Beginning of the situation: Wednesday, August 1
4.- Duration: At least until Monday 6
5.- Degree of probability: Very high (more than 80%)
6.- Description of the meteorological situation: As of Wednesday, August 1, due to the
conditions of atmospheric stability in a large part of the country, to the strong insolation
these dates and the entry of warm air of African origin from the south in half
Western Peninsula, will take place the first summer heat wave, which will last at least until
on Monday 6.
The episode will be especially intense and lasting in the southwest quadrant, the area
center and the Ebro valley, exceeding 40ºC, from Wednesday in a good part of the interior
of the southwest quadrant and, starting on Thursday, in points of the central zone and Ebro valley.
Thursday and Friday, could even reach 44ºC in the valleys of the Tagus, Guadiana and
Guadalquivir.
In the northern and southern interior of Galicia, the 36ºC will be exceeded in large areas of
from Thursday, being able to reach 39ºC / 41ºC.
In the rest of the country it is likely that they will reach or exceed 35ºC as of Friday and
Saturday, affecting areas where these temperatures are unusual such as the interior of the
Cantabrian area and the Catalan coast. On the contrary, this episode of heat will not be significant
on the coast of eastern Andalusia, Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla.
The minimum temperatures will also be significantly high in large areas, above
everything, in the southwest quadrant, where they could not go below 25ºC from Thursday. In the rest
they will stay above 20ºC, except in mountain areas.
Although there is a high level of uncertainty, it is possible that starting on Monday 6 a
Slow and progressive decrease in temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

maybe it's different for other parts of the country

the mini-heatwave is currently a 2 day affair for me. Sunday and Monday, where it may just scrape into the mid 20's C

only those 2 days show the wind from E or NE

on Tuesday, the Westerly wind is back - Atlantic influence, and the temperature is fresher again

couple days ago, the same chart was showing 27c for Saturday, it's now 21c with a NW wind

the 7 day forecast chart on the front of the Met Office website

when i change the location to London - yep, it does show heatwave conditions there, but not here

Posted

Just seen the forecast for the next 10 days for London. My thoughts go out to the many who dislike heat,high 20's into low 30's for most of the time with resultant high night temps. After the 2 months they've just endured this must be the last thing those folk who suffer with the heat would want. It must be so uncomfortable.☹️ and for some dangerous.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1