Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
47 minutes ago, knocker said:

I think the continual accusation of guilt tripping requires qualification because in the past I have been accused of it. And as I have repeatable said I have no problem whatsoever with people liking extremes of weather, ( I have probably experienced these more than most), But for a few who are of this inclination it seems to necessitate posting copious amounts of insensitive drivel which quite a few, including myself , find offensive. It is that that is the problem and apart from anything else it makes the thread(s) unreadable.

Indeed; merely pointing-out that prolonged cold, snowy weather or prolonged heatwaves can be problematic and dangerous to a not inconsiderable percentage of the population doesn't really automatically qualify as guilt-tripping (much depends on how post are phrased); in many cases, it's just a reminder to those who might be prone to inadvertent selfishness by describing such conditions in unquestioningly glowing terms that a moment's reflection to acknowledge that not everyone can manage such situations as well as we might expect would be appreciated.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for you chris! hope it's tempered a bit, 37 degrees too much, and this setup opens door for the Atlantic, let's hope it's toned down and we get longer settled spell around 24-28 degrees

Netweather GFS Image

Indeed, huge hot outlier perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for you chris! hope it's tempered a bit, 37 degrees too much, and this setup opens door for the Atlantic, let's hope it's toned down and we get longer settled spell around 24-28 degrees

Netweather GFS Image

Thanks - yes, that might be rather nasty here.  If it's only like that for acouple of days it's not too much of a problem, but more than around 3 days of plume-type conditions with the consequent humidity, plus daytime maxima in the mid-high thirties and (crucially), minima around 20C is concerning.  As you say, what's wrong with high pressure centred on the UK, lower humidity and maxima in the mid-high twenties with mid-teens overnight, unless, of course, you're wanting the typical thundery end to a plume?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Anyway....

The gardens have had a good dose of rain this weekend and this fresher weather has cleared out the heat in our homes so it’s more comfortable. 

Looking forward now to a return of summery weather, I love those balmy warm evenings, hot sunny days and being able to be outside while having a pint. 

The weather this weekend is making me dread Autumn. I love cold, snowy weather but personally can’t stand it when it’s cool and wet. Its dark, dull, grim and depressing. But we all have different weather preferences! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
2 hours ago, danm said:

Anyway....

The gardens have had a good dose of rain this weekend and this fresher weather has cleared out the heat in our homes so it’s more comfortable. 

Looking forward now to a return of summery weather, I love those balmy warm evenings, hot sunny days and being able to be outside while having a pint. 

The weather this weekend is making me dread Autumn. I love cold, snowy weather but personally can’t stand it when it’s cool and wet. Its dark, dull, grim and depressing. But we all have different weather preferences! 

My thoughts exactly Dan. I have resigned myself to the fact that we need the rain and the past few days have at least watered the garden even if rainfall amounts were nothing significant. 

But i am more than ready for the next installment of Summer and things are really on a knifeedge heading into August with some searing temperatures building to the south. These could head our way or we could be left with a cooler but still warm northeasterly which the ECM favours this evening.

Posted

Please god keep temps to 30c or less for the rest of summer, we have had a heatwave  for 60 days in London, Im genuinely surprised and grateful its not killed off my elderly and frail mum! 

I love summer, sun and fine weather, but a humid 35c is no fun and dangerous! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
12 hours ago, carinthian said:

Sitting as a ( neutral) in the centre of Euroland its been a fascinating 2018 watching the weather events unfold over old blighty and for that matter much of Northern Europe. 2018 has not been a normal year with some exceptional weather events. 2018 starting mild with hardly any snowfall following a rare green Christmas in much of Sweden, then the end of the winter heralding a potent beast from the East abeit not too prolonged but gave a good reminder that winter can deliver the goods with sub zero temps and drifting snow right across the Islands. Late spring/early summer  heat and drought in NW Britain followed by near record heat by July further south. The southern type continental weather affecting much of Scandinavia with a record July high in Stockholm and temps of nearly 100f in the low countries last week. This weekend the heat continues for much of Northern Europe ( apart from this weekends rainy and windy spell over the British Isles ( just like the old days ). So yes many weather watches will have enjoyed the rather continental climate so far in places regarded as maritime climate the norm. 2018 is turning out vintage year with blizzards, sub zero day temps, heat , record sunshine, drought, thunderstorms and its not finished yet ! Love watching the TV weather reports from back home and updates from my daughter in Stockholm who are having one of the hottest summers ever over there. Long may it continue.

C

Now to top it off, if only we could get a nice '62/'63 winter...not too much to ask for is it 

Preferably followed by a 2007 type summer next year to replenish ground water and keep drought away.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Now to top it off, if only we could get a nice '62/'63 winter...not too much to ask for is it 

Preferably followed by a 2007 type summer next year to replenish ground water and keep drought away.

As long as that prolonged Scandinavian block holds ,there is always an outside chance of a 62/63 winter. But just you watch, more than likely it sinks into boring inversion Euro high with mild weather and SWly flow into NW Europe. However, this year , thus so far, has been against the norm in Northern Europe, so you just never know. Certainly, 62/63 will never be forgotten and most rare winter synoptics as 79 was exceptional.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

A mild Atlantic driver winter would replenish groundwater much quicker

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

the current conditions feel way more comfortable, and my rant is about everyone always obsessed with temperature

last thurs / fri, for central and eastern parts, social media was filled with people begging for rain and storms to come

why? humidity... it was so bad, people could not do normal everyday tasks

so for future heatwaves, can we have a little more focus on how humid it's going to be, because that effects people more

than the actual air temperature

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
14 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

the current conditions feel way more comfortable, and my rant is about everyone always obsessed with temperature

last thurs / fri, for central and eastern parts, social media was filled with people begging for rain and storms to come

why? humidity... it was so bad, people could not do normal everyday tasks

so for future heatwaves, can we have a little more focus on how humid it's going to be, because that effects people more

than the actual air temperature

Agree! My highest temperatures here were actually in the first half of the month - 32C - but with humidity between 15 and 30%! So much nicer and felt more like inland Spain. Skies are also clearer when the humidity is lower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I agree totally about the humidity. Yesterday evening it was 20c here with a humidity of 88%. That felt worse to me than 29c and 30% humidity we have had for a lot of the summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

15 c and cloudy ,absolute  crap 

I'll swap,that sounds lovely!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I agree totally about the humidity. Yesterday evening it was 20c here with a humidity of 88%. That felt worse to me than 29c and 30% humidity we have had for a lot of the summer.

Its the SWly winds that are the problem, a westerly or north westerly and it wouldn't feel as humid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

15 c and cloudy ,absolute  crap 

Bit warmer down south but also a crap cloudy windy day, vile. Skies like this in late July make me wanna puke!

6D5A957C-3C4E-4107-8284-7F0C34A60432.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
On 29/07/2018 at 10:32, stainesbloke said:

That howling wind caught my partners car door yesterday and slammed it on his thumb. After a night of no sleep due to the swelling and pain, I’ve had to take my partner to A&E this morning. He’s had X-rays so far and the swelling is being drained. Hopefully, no broken bones. 

ouch... it was strange in Surrey how strong the wind was in particular Saturday afternoon I know a lot of people said it was just breezy and hardly a hurricane where they were which was I am sure true but it was wild where I was- I was jet washing the drive and it caught the hose and whacked me in the face other than looking a fool no harm done - although I reckon saw one of the neighbours laugh at me !!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

ouch... it was strange in Surrey how strong the wind was in particular Saturday afternoon I know a lot of people said it was just breezy and hardly a hurricane where they were which was I am sure true but it was wild where I was- I was jet washing the drive and it caught the hose and whacked me in the face other than looking a fool no harm done - although I reckon saw one of the neighbours laugh at me !!

You’ve Been Framed moment!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

You’ve Been Framed moment!

!! well if i see it on Harry Hill I will know where it came from !!

Edited by Badgers01
typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
48 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I was surprised at all those saying it was just breezy, it was blowing a proper hoolie here all day. Glad you didn’t sustain any injury jet washing. Could have been painful! My OH had to have 3 holes burnt into his thumb nail to relieve all the blood pressing underneath. Was a bit grisly, he’s in much less pain today, thankfully. The codeine wasn’t doing anything, oww.

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I was surprised at all those saying it was just breezy, it was blowing a proper hoolie here all day. Glad you didn’t sustain any injury jet washing. Could have been painful! My OH had to have 3 holes burnt into his thumb nail to relieve all the blood pressing underneath. Was a bit grisly, he’s in much less pain today, thankfully. The codeine wasn’t doing anything, oww.

I hope your other half  recovers soon, injuries to hands and fingers are painful ... i am sure you can nurse him back to full health :)  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Is it that hard for that intense heat to properly reach us lol give me that extreme heat ⛈

Edited by JK1
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I hope your other half  recovers soon, injuries to hands and fingers are painful ... i am sure you can nurse him back to full health   

Thank you. The injury does sound a bit silly but I know it was very painful, he’s not a complainer but is squeamish. Thankfully, no more howling winds for the foreseeable.

• Like 1