Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

We should hope for a settled warm August with some more rainfall. It would be nice to have a decent August for once but doesnt need to be record breaking for lack of rainfall or heat. We may well come to miss the lovely weather we have had. I and probably others have a feeling that if this current pattern holds for many more months we will have to endure a severe winter (not sure what the projections are for Autumn/Winter yet). Thing is it has been the type of summer where a warm, settled but not especially hot airmass has resided over the UK at the time of maximum solar output and hence consistent mid to high 20s day after day. It doesnt technically have to be an extremely cold airmass to create a severe winter in the UK at the right time over late Novemeber to late January. So if we do experience patterns similar to this summer in the form of a continental influence, we could be in trouble with regard to very low temperatures this winter. Not good for farming with the extremes of seasons or the economical aspect for people everyday lives - food prices, energy bills, dangerous roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
26 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

doesnt bother me if some food prices go up as a result of hot weather.  if thats a consequence then so be it...id sooner pay higher prices because of heat rather then because of too much rain/flooding spoiling the crops as in previous years.

Very strange view. Not sure on the logic on that one

• Like 1

Posted

The EPS anomalies still looking at the high pressure riding NE to be influential in the medium but perhaps tending to a N/S split and generally temps still above average

1619453445_500a.thumb.png.8811137ab8c718c13e5d96540db90325.png689522200_850a.thumb.png.90fbad9f982653ff1ae9497fec06a106.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

No broken bones, but there’s a dent in the thumb bone, ouch. They had to burn 3 holes in the nail to relieve pressure. Pain is still pretty bad so I got some codeine to help. That should knock him out for a few hours, lol. Not really a day to be out and about, anyway. Nice to see useful rain but that vile wind is back (not as strong as yesterday, yet). Hope you feel better in the cooler temperatures?

Best wishes to your partner.  My dad did something similar back when he was at work,so I know how paindul that can be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

First weekend that i've not had the aircon running! Dreading the cost but having a house at 22ºC and not a tiny bedroom at 39ºC makes it so worth it, even if it took 6 years to get a heatwave strong enough to properly use it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Quote:

"My apologies if my post in the MOD was clumsily worded (I assume this was directed at me, though I wouldn't put Wantage in the midlands).

I hope you are OK."

I'm fine thank you MP. So you wouldn't class yourself, as South Midlands?

Just got back from walk, to the shops, still spit-spotting with rain. Could've got away with shorts still, although there's a fresh wind, still feels quite clammy, to me. Nice to see, wet pavements, again and the gardens look like they need a good drink.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
53 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

gawd... lets hope he isnt right. that would be completely disatrous for the environment... assuming hes not advocating turning the countryside into one huge wildlife reserve (that would benefit by sympathetic farming)

I'm trying to find where I read this - I'm pretty sure the group is Economists for Free Trade and the proposal was to allow all but the largest farming groups go bust, then employ a percentage of those unemployed farmers to manage rural areas for wildlife.  While it should be great news for the environment if done properly, the resultant economic collapse of rural areas will see a flight to the cities as people from rural areas need to find employment, thereby possibly rivalling the Medieval period for the rate of disappearance of rural communities.  Suffice it to say that this would be predicated on importing most of our food and would therefore reduce the impact of future droughts like the one we've been having in the south and east.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
On 28/07/2018 at 08:40, markyo said:

In Star Trek you would certainly be a Klingon....every slight hope,you Klingon to it

But seriously,you don't want to see folk suffer,taken ill,die due to heat do you? See wildlife suffer? See farmers livelihoods suffer?

I have to agree with you... 25 degrees great... Any more not so great... Farming is already suffering with livestock being fed stocks that are meant for winter... And yes... Absolutely heat can kill

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Sidsnake said:

I have to agree with you... 25 degrees great... Any more not so great... Farming is already suffering with livestock being fed stocks that are meant for winter... And yes... Absolutely heat can kill

17,000 died as a result of heat in the European heatwave of 2003.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'd have thought that the drivel that comes from Lord Lawson's orifice would be a salutary lesson in what happens when you allow economists to witter about the real world, Chris? 

Holy sheet!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'd have thought that the drivel that comes from Lord Lawson's orifice would be a salutary lesson in what happens when you allow economists to witter about the real world, Chris? 

Holy sheet!

/interestingly, the same chap argued that the car industry here must be allowed to the the way of mining so that we can focus on finance and services.  Unsuprisingly, if you know anything of the car industry, that didn't make him very popular in Sunderland or Swindon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Very strange view. Not sure on the logic on that one

Why? 

The point beng that all extremes of weather causes food supply problems. Recent summers have suffered from excessive rainfall thats caused drops in yields. 

So paying more because of heat/drought is just part of the course... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Sitting as a ( neutral) in the centre of Euroland its been a fascinating 2018 watching the weather events unfold over old blighty and for that matter much of Northern Europe. 2018 has not been a normal year with some exceptional weather events. 2018 starting mild with hardly any snowfall following a rare green Christmas in much of Sweden, then the end of the winter heralding a potent beast from the East abeit not too prolonged but gave a good reminder that winter can deliver the goods with sub zero temps and drifting snow right across the Islands. Late spring/early summer  heat and drought in NW Britain followed by near record heat by July further south. The southern type continental weather affecting much of Scandinavia with a record July high in Stockholm and temps of nearly 100f in the low countries last week. This weekend the heat continues for much of Northern Europe ( apart from this weekends rainy and windy spell over the British Isles ( just like the old days ). So yes many weather watches will have enjoyed the rather continental climate so far in places regarded as maritime climate the norm. 2018 is turning out vintage year with blizzards, sub zero day temps, heat , record sunshine, drought, thunderstorms and its not finished yet ! Love watching the TV weather reports from back home and updates from my daughter in Stockholm who are having one of the hottest summers ever over there. Long may it continue.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

Odd, if anyone dislikes people moaning about the weather and the inevitable very hot v no thanks or loads of snow v I hate it etc etc, then why on earth would they even visit this thread.

When It gets a bit heated as it did last week between 2 members, the mods deleted the posts and had a word I guess, apart from that it ticks over nicely in here, with some weather leg pulling and model banter.

People will always be tribal, to expect that not to include the weather is naïve(imo)

• Like 6

Posted

Well a Mexican friend, who now resides in Los Angeles, has been here for a month researching family history. On more than one occasion she has moaned to me how hot it is and she doesn't like the heat. I said what did you expect coming to Cornwall in July. I mean to say..................

When she asked for a recommendation for a weather site I had a memory lapse.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Odd, if anyone dislikes people moaning about the weather and the inevitable very hot v no thanks or loads of snow v I hate it etc etc, then why on earth would they even visit this thread.

When It gets a bit heated as it did last week between 2 members, the mods deleted the posts and had a word I guess, apart from that it ticks over nicely in here, with some weather leg pulling and model banter.

People will always be tribal, to expect that not to include the weather is naïve(imo)

I agree, Dave - we are a tribal species; as is demonstrated by all the ludicrous things folks like to kill each other over...? At least the weather's real!

• Like 3

Just popping out of longtime lurk-mode as I have to point out...

The only reason this forum is so popular is because our weather has so much personality - how many of you would be coming here if we were guaranteed a calm 20C every day of the year?

So regardless of how much anyone moans, there is simple no stopping the British weather and it will do what it does regardless - heat, cold, drought, floods or relentless grey. Deaths supposedly due to heat in this country are due to infrastructure, people and politics and that's also where the solution lies.  From January to December we never really know what we're going to get but we do know that at some points the conditions will be harder to manage than others. No one knows this better than farmers (which is why many of them now grow indoors in controlled environments).

So I don't think anyone minds people moaning or disagreeing about the heat, but do thinks it's crossing the line implying that those who enjoy our inevitable hotter conditions, are somehow selfishly wishing death and suffering on people. It would be nice if people were a little more tolerant of other's weather preferences.. especially on a weather discussion forum.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It’s the guilt tripping that annoys me. No need. We all like different weather types and can find plenty of reasons for our likes/dislikes. That makes this forum and discussion within it interesting and varied, unlike our climate which is generally quite boring and uneventful with extremes being rare.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5

Posted

I think the continual accusation of guilt tripping requires qualification because in the past I have been accused of it. And as I have repeatable said I have no problem whatsoever with people liking extremes of weather, ( I have probably experienced these more than most), But for a few who are of this inclination it seems to necessitate posting copious amounts of insensitive drivel which quite a few, including myself , find offensive. It is that that is the problem and apart from anything else it makes the thread(s) unreadable.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Aye, guilt-tripping is a bit silly...and, just to prove how serious I am, after my imminent spontaneous combustion my ashes will be sent to mushy, as a way of saying 'I told you so'!:drinks::rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

For my part, I do not intend to type anything that guilt-trips anyone, and I'll apologise here and now if that was the effect of any of my posts.  I think what irritated me was how some posters, especially in the model thread, have been posting comments along the following lines:

• That rain on one/two days with cooler temperatures was a disaster that would ruin the entire summer
  • Expressing a desire to see no rain at all until early/mid autumn (suggest that idea to most farmers round here and I suspect you'll receive short shrift)
  • Generally enthusing about the south and south-east possibly hitting 35C/40C/1,000,000C (delete as appropriate) for X days in succession.

In addition, some of these members appear to assume that all fellow NW posters are as enthusiastic as they are about the prospect: in other words, they fail to, or, in some cases I suspect, refuse to, acknowledge that a variety of opinion is acceptable as long as that opinion is expressed in good humour. 

As someone who fails to appreciate or enjoy football, the current consensus ("heat is good, more heat is better") reminds me of the assumption earlier this month that everyone was breathlessly following every moment of Engand's World Cup exploits.  There almost seems to be an implication that, if you don't follow the herd, you're weird or there's something wrong with you.  I'll provide some background here - in my High School, though I wasn't bullied for my disability, I was to an extent a figure of fun due to having unusual hobbies/interests and not immediately lusting after any female under half my age by my fifteenth birthday.  As a consequence, I received plenty of comments inferring that I was strange and somehow a failure as a man, despite being heterosexual (this was back when LGBT people were still regarded as being a valid target for bullying and abuse, at least in Norfolk).  In my late thirties, therefore, I have no intention of being on the receiving end of similar criticism and veiled suggestions that I'm trying to ruin others' fun as a result of sincerely-held preferences and a weakness, thanks to medication, to prolonged hot and humid weather.  I don't deny that many enjoy heat and have absolutely no desire to spoil their enjoyment or suggest that their preference is somehow "wrong"; all I ask is that they tolerate a few days' welcome and useful rain and cooler weather just as I accept and tolerate heat and humidity that, after a while, makes me feel ill.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
41 minutes ago, knocker said:

I think the continual accusation of guilt tripping requires qualification because in the past I have been accused of it. And as I have repeatable said I have no problem whatsoever with people liking extremes of weather, ( I have probably experienced these more than most), But for a few who are of this inclination it seems to necessitate posting copious amounts of insensitive drivel which quite a few, including myself , find offensive. It is that that is the problem and apart from anything else it makes the thread(s) unreadable.

It is nice to be able to say how much one enjoys a weather type (say, sunshine and heat) without being made to feel one is Emperor Ming’s more evil sibling, wishing death and destruction on all life forms. But the ‘banter’ does cross the line, generally in winter, where non-coldies seem to be viewed as ‘freaks’ and fun-sponges. Your posts are amongst the most valuable on this entire forum, in my opinion. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

for you chris! hope it's tempered a bit, 37 degrees too much, and this setup opens door for the Atlantic, let's hope it's toned down and we get longer settled spell around 24-28 degrees

Netweather GFS Image

21 minutes ago, knocker said:

Bear in mind the mods have been very busy deleting posts (thanks mods ☺️) but many of us see those posts before they are deleted. It's not about singling anyone out but rather keeping the atmosphere welcoming for all types of opinions.

• Like 5