Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

I swear if I hear, see and read one more report from whinging farmers I’m going to scream! 

Its too hot, too dry, (in most years too cold, wet or windy) crop yields will be down, prices will be up - im sorry but in addition to the ridiculous subsidies they receive clearly farming appears to be the only industry that has no interest in contingency planning, infuriating!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I swear if I hear, see and read one more report from whinging farmers I’m going to scream! 

Its too hot, too dry, (in most years too cold, wet or windy) crop yields will be down, prices will be up - im sorry but in addition to the ridiculous subsidies they receive clearly farming appears to be the only industry that has no interest in contingency planning, infuriating!! 

Most farmers are tennants. They dont get the subsidies, the wealthy land owners like dyson and the queen do.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, markyo said:

Toughest day so far this Summer,just heard tired moaning all day from everybody. One poor nurse had to be treated for heat exhaustion on one site today,she was in tears.We need a change,everything is looking and is scorched,nature is suffering,the trees are stressed,the fruit production is woeful,birds in particular are suffering,the lack of running water is a major issue. This week is going to be tough,very tough.

Is that at your place of work? If so then the working conditions seriously need improving!

The school I work at is particularly vulnerable to trapping and stagnating heat upstairs making some classrooms very difficult to work in. Only the ICT room and library are air-conditioned.

No tired moaning in town today, just folks taking it easy in the heat. Easier to stay cool when you're off work and can seek shade/cooler temps more readily!

Edited by Liima

Posted

So sad what this heatwave is doing to the country. Causing misery day after day; wildfires, parched land, crops ruined and reservoirs drying up - and looking at the EPS this is set to continue and intensify as we head into August. Horrific news for those that love the British countryside when it’s at its most stunning - instead of being a wasteland on fire. A sign of things to come. Sad. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, draztik said:

So sad what this heatwave is doing to the country. Causing misery day after day; wildfires, parched land, crops ruined and reservoirs drying up - and looking at the EPS this is set to continue and intensify as we head into August. Horrific news for those that love the British countryside when it’s at its most stunning - instead of being a wasteland on fire. A sign of things to come. Sad. 

Still miles better than the misery of summers like 2007.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

and it's not nearly as bad as what draztik is saying anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
36 minutes ago, draztik said:

Slightly dramatic? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

You mean that summer where thousands of homes were ruined by filthy floodwater? Yeah, not quite as miserable.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, draztik said:

Seen it all before. The countryside recovers quickly. 

Ive worked outdoors for 45 years. Dry summers were quite common. Its largely because we havnt had one for 15 years that it seems so bad. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Most farmers are tennants. They dont get the subsidies, the wealthy land owners like dyson and the queen do.

Thanks Mushy from a tenant farmer still practising a seven course rotation of three years cereals one year roots (turnips) and three years grass for grazing and silage/hay..

A lot of weather related problems on farms just now stem from intensive farming of crops (monoculture) or livestock (Mega dairies of over a 1000 cows). The lack of mixed farming runs down soil fertility in the persuit of short term gain mainly due to very low commodity prices.

This  will all change this autumn as  food price rises will exercise the minds of politicians more than Brexit (Just my opinion) The reason for this is ainof  is not only happening here but also in a lot of the main food producing areas of the northern hemisphere.

An interesting one for me is how long the supermarkets will manage to keep prices low as most commodities are on contract now unlike 1976 when most were free market and prices rose sharply on diminished supplies. Contracts  for farmers are good in oversupplied years as they guarantee a minimum price but not in years like this

Our growth stages are now running one month ahead as all plants race to produce seed for the next year to ensure survival.and a lot of plants have had their quota of sunshine and feel autumn is here.

On the point of subsidies we do get them but they are factored into our rents and so the landlord gets a proportion.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, draztik said:

Slightly melodramatic? What about the tourist industry? Those going on road trips, camping, trekking, hill walking, etc? Those going to the beach, swimming in the sea or rivers? I doubt that they’re miserable. They certainly would be if it was cold and wet! I bet you that the countryside will have complete ‘recovered’ in a few months.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I don't know if it will have recovered in a few months...wouldn't at all be surprised to see this blocking going into early October or so, but I suppose with the cooler mornings the condensation will aid shoots of recovery.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I don't know if it will have recovered in a few months...wouldn't at all be surprised to see this blocking going into early October or so, but I suppose with the cooler mornings the condensation will aid shoots of recovery.

I doubt it very much, Froze: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717751/Butterflies_in_the_wider_countryside_UK_1976_2017.pdf

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Raining again in Lancashire. 

Hopefully the trough can pull a little further West and allow us all to get in on the heat ☹️

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Good to see a nice cool plunge from the gfs next week

gfs_t850a_natl_29.thumb.png.8a4a9840bdc6b3fa26a9ec5c97fbd152.png

Totally agree. How people can want 37C sticky heat is beyond me. It’s just not enjoyable. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Totally agree. How people can want 37C sticky heat is beyond me. It’s just not enjoyable. 

Because it is notable for our climate. Each to their own :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
16 hours ago, Liima said:

Is that at your place of work? If so then the working conditions seriously need improving!

These are the conditions set by law. No ventilation,no aircon. CQC rules have to be followed for decontamination. Weather like this just makes things appalling. Health is suffering. 

6 minutes ago, markyo said:

These are the conditions set by law. No ventilation,no aircon. CQC rules have to be followed for decontamination. Weather like this just makes things appalling. Health is suffering. 

Thanks for getting back to me on that one - I was genuinely interested in finding out! :) That's pretty rough for you given present conditions. At least it looks fresher for a time this weekend and first half of next week.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Liima said:

Because it is notable for our climate. Each to their own  

I get that but it will be a miserable day if it occurs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well worth a watch:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

you realise youre displaying a high degree of ignorance here :) no disrespect like, but just because you dont like it doesnt mean those of us that do are 'wrong'. some of us DO like heat, real heat. bring it on i say.

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

you realise youre displaying a high degree of ignorance here no disrespect like, but just because you dont like it doesnt mean those of us that do are 'wrong'. some of us DO like heat, real heat. bring it on i say.

Indeed. I’m not a fan of cool wet weather, but that doesn’t mean I think those that do are wrong. I just disagree. 

• Like 1