Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you in a bungalow? A bungalow should be cooler than a regular house, in theory. I lived in a bungalow 3 years ago and it definitely was cooler than previous properties. Am in a first floor maisonette currently and it’s lovely, no heat build up as the moves through nicely. 

I am indeed, thanks to disability.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I am indeed, thanks to disability.

Is your bungalow very hot at night? 

Posted

Comparing like with like, this evenings GFS12Z run holds onto the hottest air a little longer, this time pushing it out overnight sat into sun.

Posted
3 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Been a few times Hokkaido mostly in snow 

Actually, I would love to visit Japan, whatever the weather. 

Not that I think the opportunity will arise. Too auld, now, and what with doggie and mundane responsibilities.

Ageing is a "B", however I don't intend to grow old (er) gracefully.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, ciel said:

Actually, I would love to visit Japan, whatever the weather. 

Not that I think the opportunity will arise. Too auld, now, and what with doggie and mundane responsibilities.

Ageing is a "B", however I don't intend to grow old (er) gracefully.

I think that, if I ever go to Japan, it'll be for watching the northward advance of the cherry blossom...By all accounts, something of a spectacle?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, snowy weather said:

The highest ever temperature recorded in the uk is 38.5 according to the met office.  With the heat being this intense and for such a long time, I reckon this could be broken.

Regarding the prospect of records being broken it's unlikely from this plume. Although the dry ground does increase lapse rates one has to bear in mind that the flow is relatively cyclonic with pressure values sub-1015mb and uppers below 20C. If we squeeze out a 35/36C we've done well (not that i want such heat).

If you look at the last two times we had proper spells that then broke the records then we have 3rd August 1990 (37.1C) and 10th August 2003 (38.5C).

Aug 03 had uppers of 20/21C and pressure around 1018mb..

NOAA_1_2003081018_1.png

Aug 90 had uppers of only 17C but pressure around 1023mb..

NOAA_1_1990080312_1.png

• Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like the Met have called this correct(same for several days) with their models and others, in that if your looking for very hot conditions the south east is the place to be, outside of this small area, then no.

As they say though, such conditions are possible not guaranteed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Going to be a nightmare next week,will have to cancel a number of calls in the South east due to the heat tripping kit out,that is for certain. Those poor staff who work at those sites,they have had enough. No ventilation,no aircon. Appalling working conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Going to be a nightmare next week,will have to cancel a number of calls in the South east due to the heat tripping kit out,that is for certain. Those poor staff who work at those sites,they have had enough. No ventilation,no aircon. Appalling working conditions.

Will be a v warm week down here for sure, luckily any v hot stuff is way out in la la land...

• Like 1

Posted

Still looking like 33/34 on the cards for SE this week. But the models can’t agree on Thu / Fri yet. Still expecting the secondary low to be less of a feature. And to be further west. The 06z was a small step in that direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon

I think next week is a perfect setup in a long time which will potentially get temperatures close or above the record temperature, this is down to many factors as mentioned above such as the dry ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep getting a bit tired of this now considering May was a very warm month on top of June and July, would like a change in August to be honest but I think it will just be more of the same. See Japan suffering from a big heat wave, is there anywhere in the northern hemisphere not well above average?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Will be a v warm week down here for sure, luckily any v hot stuff is way out in la la land...

Good luck! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yep getting a bit tired of this now considering May was a very warm month on top of June and July, would like a change in August to be honest but I think it will just be more of the same. See Japan suffering from a big heat wave, is there anywhere in the northern hemisphere not well above average?

Iceland isn't doing too well this summer more rainy days than dry days temps in the mid-teens at best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Neglectedchicken said:

I think next week is a perfect setup in a long time which will potentially get temperatures close or above the record temperature, this is down to many factors as mentioned above such as the dry ground.

Thats the only thing missing so far. For what has been a remarkable summer so far, the max temp of 33c is not that special

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Iceland isn't doing too well this summer more rainy days than dry days temps in the mid-teens at best

Average high in Reykjavik in July is 14.2C so mid teens is decent for them.

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Good luck! 

Thanks!

Todays same time GFS12Z peaks the heat on Thursday, still warm to v warm(mostly south and east)into the weekend.

After that a  lull, then la la land strikes again, 850s go through the roof for 2 days, then crash through the floor to finish below the long term mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

gfs-0-324.png?12   gfs-1-324.png?12

People keep showing the GFS, but the parallel is just getting ridiculous. Yes that is the 24c isotherm almost touching the south coast.

I think new GIFs may be needed by some.....

giphy.gif

*Posted here because this is just plain nuts!!! And of course will likely not happen....

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

Just for fun what sort of temps would the 24 area bring at ground level?

40/41/42????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

Is there a temperature map for that, like the ones that get posted for the normal GFS?  Would be fun viewing. I had a quick look but couldn't find one