Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, cheese said:

This is what he said:

The UK certainly isn't used to heat or snow but it has nothing to do with our rapidly changing climate, because compared to continental climates we have very little variation at all.

And Reverse Zonality is right - maybe we all need to toughen up a bit. The UK is a wealthy and highly developed nation - we should be able to cope with a bit of unusual weather. 

Eh?

The UK's maritime climate is totally different to Continental climates...Isn't that Geography 101?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, markyo said:

That's because the UK climate is totally different to continental climates such as Europe or the USA. Their patterns can be fixed for week after  week,they are used to it,very boring as well. Our climate is maritime based,we are a small island on the edge of one of the biggest oceans on the planet hence the rapid nature of the way our climate changes. We aren't used to being stuck under the same influence for week after week being either heat or cold,we aren't geared up for it. Just like folk in the US wouldn't be geared up for a maritime climate of daily change. Its nothing to do with being able to handle it,we're just in a different climatic region so don't spend or adapt to long periods of extreme weather ie heat(no air con,cold lack of snow clearing equipment),the cost would be to much.

Some people's inability to cope is more down to the fact that we are periodically affected by a number of differing airmasses throughout the year, so there's little time to get used to one type of weather. This weather, however, has gone on long enough most have just got used to it.

Yes, we are an island on the edge of the Atlantic, but also 20 something miles off more miles of continent, so we can and should expect influence from both directions.

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'll do that when you learn how to read.

Diplomacy is obviously your strong point, so a governmental post of some sort  should be your ambition.

Perhaps the minister for rain....:rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I'll do that when you learn how to read. Deal?

I think I can read mucker, thanks all the same - I scored 198/200 in English Language...

IMO, all climates get locked/blocked from time-to-time, but that doesn't mean that somehow (other than by Divine intervention?) those of us who've resided in the UK, for all our lives, should be immune to either extremely hot/extremely cold weather...

I'm afraid you've activated my logic-bypass button!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think I can read mucker, thanks all the same - I scored 198/200 in English Language...

IMO, all climates get locked/blocked from time-to-time, but that doesn't mean that somehow (other than by Divine intervention?) those of us who've resided in the UK, for all our lives, should be immune to either extremely hot/extremely cold weather...

I'm afraid you've activated my logic-bypass button!

Oh lar de da.

I was simply correcting markyo on his assertion that our climate is fast changing while continental climates are not. That is all. I don't expect people in the UK to be 'immune' to extremely hot or extremely cold weather - and perhaps more to the point, we weren't talking about either of those things - the weather the UK has had for the past 6 weeks certainly does not qualify as 'extremely hot', which is why I find it bemusing the way people moan about it (just like markyo and his ilk find it bemusing when some people turn the heating on when it's below 15C, and they are perfectly entitled to feel that way).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Anyway.........

The ECM raw data must be looking good as I’ve just checked the 14 day forecast on the BBC app for London (yes, I know going out to 14 days is ludicrous but hey) and it’s is now warm/hot all the way. The temperature doesn’t drop below 25c, which is tomorrow. It then increases to 27c/28c on Thursday and Friday and is then 29c for all of next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I’d be wary of the chocolate fireguard forecasts that you get long range on the BBC!

ill just ramp as it’s the place to do it - this mornings ecm gives us a shot at the warmest month of all time, and the first 20c month. It’d have to verify mind you, ,but we’d be looking at another run of days in the 30-34c range if it verified. We’d then just need the last 5/6 days of the month to not nosedive cool and unsettled and I think it’d be in the bag.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
17 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Thoughly enjoying this hot spell, Very rare we get such a long hot dry Summer so making the most of it by being outdoors as much as possible, Some lovely Sunsets to look forward to in the evenings to.

completely agree :)

its such a refreshing change to be able to enjoy the outdoors without getting wet! the warmth, the air filled with scents of lilies, jasmine and now buddlia... wonderful summer weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

How nice, 35 to 40c, now everyone will enjoy that, wont they?

I would! If this is to be a truly historic summer there needs to be at least one extremely hot spell. And with the dry ground, we have an opportunity to challenge the record.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

for me weather has been near perfection since i have been back in the UK clear blue skies temps mid twenties gentle breezes...been to the beach which was nice ...off to spend the day in Plymouth with my daugher 

Posted
18 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

The same way people enjoy days of freezing temps In winter! 

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I can hardly wait!

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The same way people enjoy days of freezing temps In winter! 

I don't mind the cold but days at minus 20, no thanks.

Just my opinion but IF we were to get a spell of 35 to 40c, the novelty would soon wear off, with the vast majority wishing for its end..

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I would! If this is to be a truly historic summer there needs to be at least one extremely hot spell. And with the dry ground, we have an opportunity to challenge the record.

Good for you, lucky you don't live in the North East then, as it will never get anywhere close up there.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Just my opinion but IF we were to get a spell of 35 to 40c, the novelty would soon wear off, with the vast majority wishing for its end..

I’d love for us to push the record, but even as someone who loves the heat I’d have to agree with this. You wouldn’t want several days of 35c as we aren’t prepared for it in this country. Our homes are built for the cold, not heat. Very few residential properties have air conditioning as they do in warmer climates. 

So I’d happily accept a couple of days of extreme heat 35c+ and to break the all time record, but would then be happy for the temperature to drop back to the high 20s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Think quite a few would wish it wouldn't start!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

Think quite a few would wish it wouldn't start!

:D

I would suffer 1 record breaking hot day only if it was followed by a record breaking T Storm.

Posted

Luckily it’s darned rare to get any set up in the UK that delivers long lasting heat of that magnitude

Posted

A downside to the hot weather...I blame Nick Cleg!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44823286

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Luckily it’s darned rare to get any set up in the UK that delivers long lasting heat of that magnitude

exactly.... IF we get temps into the mid 30s, chances are it wouldnt last.. a lengthy run of hot south/southeasterlies are rare as they usually pre-empt a breakdown .  it really would be unusual to get locked in a south/southeasterly for longer then 48-72 hours .

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm not so keen on the idea of a plume - it could spell the end of our warm, settled weather. We still have August to go through!

Edited by cheese

Posted
8 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

exactly.... IF we get temps into the mid 30s, chances are it wouldnt last.. a lengthy run of hot south/southeasterlies are rare as they usually pre-empt a breakdown .  it really would be unusual to get locked in a south/southeasterly for longer then 48-72 hours .

Normally I would agree but this year with its blocked patterns, the 'beasts', temps well bellow average or well above, I feel more extremes are very possible.

• Like 2