Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Lovin some of the model runs lately, but what are the chances of an Aug 2003 repeat from this set up?? Wasn't that a similar set up with HP over Scandi and C Europe with a low to the West that resulted in 10 days of mid 30s?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

It’s not that hot lol,you have never visited a hot country obviously.Dont worry winter will be here which will be wet and mild and all blocking will be gone as per usual in winter months.

Why would i visit a hot country?..I'm not that daft!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Mother Nature WILL give us a break... From September until next spring!

Can't wait,counting the days down now to the good times. Those lovely cool nights,the not waking up to broad daylight at some stupid time,the lack of sneezing and watering eyes,the not coming out of work drenched in sweat....yep can't wait for those days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Why would i visit a hot country?..I'm not that daft!

I was going to ask the very same thing, Mark!?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Thoughly enjoying this hot spell, Very rare we get such a long hot dry Summer so making the most of it by being outdoors as much as possible, Some lovely Sunsets to look forward to in the evenings to.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

First rainy day here today since I can’t remember. Decent soaking the ground got. Drying up now and still warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Spaniards laugh at our heatwaves, Scandinavians laugh at our cold spells.

This country just can't handle anything at all. Any kind of weather that isn't exactly average causes chaos. I was talking to an American recently who was shocked that our definition of drought is just 15 dry days.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cheese said:

This country just can't handle anything at all. Any kind of weather that isn't exactly average causes chaos. I was talking to an American recently who was shocked that our definition of drought is just 15 dry days.

You only have to read the moaning thread to know that  A few days of 25C+ and the summer moaners come out in a rash.

A cold wet flannel is recommended in those cases 

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

That's because the UK climate is totally different to continental climates such as Europe or the USA. Their patterns can be fixed for week after  week,they are used to it,very boring as well. Our climate is maritime based,we are a small island on the edge of one of the biggest oceans on the planet hence the rapid nature of the way our climate changes. We aren't used to being stuck under the same influence for week after week being either heat or cold,we aren't geared up for it. Just like folk in the US wouldn't be geared up for a maritime climate of daily change. Its nothing to do with being able to handle it,we're just in a different climatic region so don't spend or adapt to long periods of extreme weather ie heat(no air con,cold lack of snow clearing equipment),the cost would be to much.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Ahhhhh the smell of petrichor here but only 1mm of rain today..The lawns here are the most scorched I have seen in all my 49 years of dublin but im loving this amazingly sunny not so hot summer in Dublin

Posted
3 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

You only have to read the moaning thread to know that  A few days of 25C+ and the summer moaners come out in a rash.

A cold wet flannel is recommended in those cases 

Just like in Winter when the moaners are putting their heating on when it drops below 15c!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's because the UK climate is totally different to continental climates such as Europe or the USA. Their patterns can be fixed for week after  week,they are used to it,very boring as well. Our climate is maritime based,we are a small island on the edge of one of the biggest oceans on the planet hence the rapid nature of the way our climate changes. We aren't used to being stuck under the same influence for week after week being either heat or cold,we aren't geared up for it. Just like folk in the US wouldn't be geared up for a maritime climate of daily change. Its nothing to do with being able to handle it,we're just in a different climatic region so don't spend or adapt to long periods of extreme weather ie heat(no air con,cold lack of snow clearing equipment),the cost would be to much.

Mate, you need to spend a winter in parts of the US - they have changes we could only dream about. They can go from 80F to 30F in the matter of 24 hours. We never get anything like that here. Our 'constant change' is a bit of slushy snow one day followed by rain the next.

Edited by cheese

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

Indeed Mark: Scandinavians are used to a Scandinavian climate and Spaniards to a Mediterranean one...We, on the other hand, are used to neither!:good:

• Like 2

Posted

As a mildy/warm lover . just lapping this summer up, a few of those storms here would just be icing on the cake, but are still proving elusive 

even so, cant complain , the warmth has been going on for what seems like a couple of months solid, and possibly more to come :clap: ,

I feel sorry for the coldies in this spell, at least they got a few days of beast from the east in early March , something for everyone this year then  

oh..apart from thunder lovers if you live in the north west of England

Posted
59 minutes ago, cheese said:

Mate, you need to spend a winter in parts of the US - they have changes we could only dream about. They can go from 80F to 30F in the matter of 24 hours. We never get anything like that here. Our 'constant change' is a bit of slushy snow one day followed by rain the next.

So do parts of the UK,not on the same scale but just as noticeable. The parts of the US you refer to are very specific areas defined by local climatic conditions,i was referring to the UK as a whole. 80f to 30f variation is normally desert conditions,dream of that? Nope,

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

So do parts of the UK,not on the same scale but just as noticeable. The parts of the US you refer to are very specific areas defined by local climatic conditions,i was referring to the UK as a whole. 80f to 30f variation is normally desert conditions,dream of that? Nope,

Tallahassee in Florida has an average high of 20C in February, but also has a record low of -19C in the same month. That's lower than Leeds and Sheffield, and probably most places in the UK.

Have a look at Tallahassee in January this year: https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=72214&ndays=31&ano=2018&mes=01&day=31&hora=23&ord=REV&Send=Send

Huge swings are perfectly normal for the US. They have big day to day variability in the winter months. There's nothing special about the UK's climate.

Edited by cheese

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Just like in Winter when the moaners are putting their heating on when it drops below 15c!

Exactly! Why can't we be more resilient? Like others have said there are more extreme climates than ours.

We have the variability, which is a godsend tbh, but thankfully not the wild swings in temperature that the larger landmasses get.

Posted

It's also worth bearing in mind that while the US has more day-to-day variability in winter, in the UK it's the opposite - we are more variable in summer. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, cheese said:

Tallahassee in Florida has an average high of 20C in February, but also has a record low of -19C in the same month. That's lower than Leeds and Sheffield, and probably most places in the UK.

Have a look at Tallahassee in January this year: https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=72214&ndays=31&ano=2018&mes=01&day=31&hora=23&ord=REV&Send=Send

Huge swings are perfectly normal for the US. They have big day to day variability in the winter months. There's nothing special about the UK's climate.

But what's that got to do with the UK? I wouldn't live in Tallahassee if you payed me...

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, cheese said:

That's exactly my point,your quoting a specific area,not a mean figure that shows a countries average. That is something totally different.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's exactly my point,your quoting a specific area,not a mean figure that shows a countries average. That is something totally different.

It might be a specific area but it is representative of most of the eastern two thirds of the US. You can pick virtually anywhere east of the Rockies and see the same kind of day-to-day variation. And the US is so large as to make an average figure for the whole country meaningless.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

I think that one of the sharpest temperature drops I can recall, was from 50 to 23F (in about 12 hours) at the very end of 1978?

I think that the rapidest rise was from about 45 to 80F, (about 24 hours) in June or July, in either 1991 or '2...?

It was the week in which Runrig reached #2 in the UK music chart!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But what's that got to do with the UK? I wouldn't live in Tallahassee if you payed me...

Markyo said that other places get weather consistently, and the UK gets lots of variation. I am refuting that. Yes, continental climates can get fixed patterns but it's more typical for them to have high levels of variation from one day to the next.

Not hard to understand.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Markyo said that other places get weather consistently, and the UK gets lots of variation. I am refuting that. Yes, continental climates can get fixed patterns but it's more typical for them to have high levels of variation from one day to the next.

Not hard to understand.

No he wasn't - he was merely stating the obvious: that the lesser variations we get, here in the UK, mean that we are less able to cope...You can hardly cope with what you never expect?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

No he wasn't - he was merely stating the obvious: that the lesser variations we get, here in the UK, mean that we are less able to cope...You can hardly cope with what you never expect?

This is what he said:

That's because the UK climate is totally different to continental climates such as Europe or the USA. Their patterns can be fixed for week after  week,they are used to it,very boring as well. Our climate is maritime based,we are a small island on the edge of one of the biggest oceans on the planet hence the rapid nature of the way our climate changes. 

The UK certainly isn't used to heat or snow but it has nothing to do with our rapidly changing climate, because compared to continental climates we have very little variation at all.

And Reverse Zonality is right - maybe we all need to toughen up a bit. The UK is a wealthy and highly developed nation - we should be able to cope with a bit of unusual weather from time to time.

Edited by cheese