Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, cheese said:

I hate it when places like Scotland are hotter than here, just like I hate it when the south gets more snow than we do. It's just perverse and unnatural. 

We reached 30C in June last year but probably won't this year unless Arpege is closer to the mark, then we stand a chance. The current weather is lovely but it would be nice to exceed 30C just to say we have.

That's an easterly breeze, here got sea mist again, burned off quickly last 2 mornings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

getting hot under the collar, when tv people sitting in A/C studio's are grinning whilst talking about the heatwave and how lovely it is

they don't get, that homes in the Uk don't have A/C - as the humidity increases over the weekend, the nights will get increasingly uncomfortable

it's just as serious for the homeless, the very young / old, people with hayfever or asthma, as the cold weather was back in February

so no, not everyone is having a wonderful time, i'm sure school kids that are sitting in stuffy classrooms during the day, having to wear

uniform, are staring out the window thinking 'wish i could enjoy it'

of course, by the time the summer holidays start, the pattern will have changed

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

getting hot under the collar, when tv people sitting in A/C studio's are grinning whilst talking about the heatwave and how lovely it is

they don't get, that homes in the Uk don't have A/C - as the humidity increases over the weekend, the nights will get increasingly uncomfortable

it's just as serious for the homeless, the very young / old, people with hayfever or asthma, as the cold weather was back in February

so no, not everyone is having a wonderful time, i'm sure school kids that are sitting in stuffy classrooms during the day, having to wear

Dude we have a had a few days of temperatures at 25-30C, bit dramatic lol. Being in work looking outside and seeing the nice weather is much better than seeing endless cloud as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Dude we have a had a few days of temperatures at 25-30C, bit dramatic lol. Being in work looking outside and seeing the nice weather is much better than seeing endless cloud as well.

All was much fairer back in 1985: after five-days' watching it peace down outside, you could get out and enjoy the rain, first hand, throughout the following weekend...☔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Snowy L said:

And when you're a kid you're not thinking about being stuck in a stuffy classroom, you're thinking about being outside when you go home, staying out until 9 or 10pm - certainly something you can't do when it's dull and wet. There are always kids on the field near my house kicking a football about, but they're not doing that when it's 18 degrees and cloudy.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I am fortunate that I am able to spend much of my time outside which leaves me with a very positive view of long spells of warm/hot summery weather - I am not badly affected by it.  However, today I had to visit an office in Haverfordwest - a relatively modern building but typically for this area not fitted with AC.  The place was pretty much like a greenhouse with large windows only able to open 50% of their area at most, and no possibility of allowing a through draft due to the design of the individual offices.  I have huge sympathy for people working in these sorts of environments everywhere in the country, for factory workers, and those in old fashioned buildings not designed for hot weather.  This is not a new problem and I remember some occasions in the past where people I have worked with tried to use employment law to close businesses when temperatures exceeded legal maximums.  It's like severe snow closing rail lines and causing chaos on the roads - we are not set up for weather extremes and when they happen some people inevitably suffer.  However, try to enjoy the hot weather while it lasts - we could see four weeks of rain in August.... You never know!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
23 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Another fantastic day ,can only hope it stays till October ☀️☀️☀️

Hopefully this summer is a re-run of 1976 ?‍♀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
8 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

I'm 68, asthmatic and with heart failure - I'm lovin't it. :yahoo:

It's the lousy British winter that's potentially lethal for me.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

I am fortunate that I am able to spend much of my time outside which leaves me with a very positive view of long spells of warm/hot summery weather - I am not badly affected by it.  However, today I had to visit an office in Haverfordwest - a relatively modern building but typically for this area not fitted with AC.  The place was pretty much like a greenhouse with large windows only able to open 50% of their area at most, and no possibility of allowing a through draft due to the design of the individual offices.  I have huge sympathy for people working in these sorts of environments everywhere in the country, for factory workers, and those in old fashioned buildings not designed for hot weather.  This is not a new problem and I remember some occasions in the past where people I have worked with tried to use employment law to close businesses when temperatures exceeded legal maximums.  It's like severe snow closing rail lines and causing chaos on the roads - we are not set up for weather extremes and when they happen some people inevitably suffer.  However, try to enjoy the hot weather while it lasts - we could see four weeks of rain in August.... You never know!

I feel sorry for the guys who are planing the road deck  an inch at a time of a bridge near me ,can't use peckers for fear of going through bridge deck  ,very hot very noisy dusty work 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

I feel sorry for the guys who are planing the road deck  an inch at a time of a bridge near me ,can't use peckers for fear of going through bridge deck  ,very hot very noisy dusty work 

Sounds like a very painful way to enact road repairs, I must say!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
On 26/06/2018 at 07:38, Astral Goat Juice said:

The weather will do whatever the weather wants to do, it's on the extreme end of the spectrum to criticise someone begging for even 40 / 50C and therefore is literally no real necessity to point score - I don't believe for one second anyone on this forum wants wildlife to suffer or agriculture, but in the grand scheme of things, it's completely out of every human beings hands & a pointless comment to make. 

Let me set you straight there, someone making a comment about struggling wildlife in this on going heatwave is NOT a pointless comment to make & quite frankly I'm bloody disgusted that you think it is! 

You are correct in that the weather is gonna do what the weather is gonna do and nobody should be made to feel guilty about whatever weather preference they have but I at least hope that every animal lover out there is doing what they can to help their local wildlife while this heat carries on, I know I certainly am, got plenty of food and more importantly, bathing & drinking water,  for all the animals that keep visiting my garden. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The Ecm 12z is just insane with a renewed push of the azores high which would hang around well beyond day 10. Also like the look of a temporary halt to the easterlies which would raise temperatures here. Very significant timed indeed!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I’ll be putting out water and seeds for the birds and other animals. Otherwise, what a fabulous spell of summer weather. So much better than 17C, wind, cloud and drizzle. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’ll be putting out water and seeds for the birds and other animals. Otherwise, what a fabulous spell of summer weather. So much better than 17C, wind, cloud and drizzle. 

You say that... but if you're in Surrey... i'd dare say your summers, since 2013 have been decent... and temps of 17C with drizzle are rather rare in your neck of the woods in high summer. So, you're being slightly dramatic.

But kudoes on the seeds. 

Edited by draztik
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, draztik said:

You say that... but if you're in Surrey... i'd dare say your summers, since 2013 have been decent... and temps of 17C with drizzle are rather rare in your neck of the woods in high summer. So, you're being slightly dramatic.

We’ve had some spells of nice weather here since 2013, as is normal for SE England. Also plenty of rather crap spells of weather with the aforementioned wind, cold and drizzle. Most of last August was horrid, for example. Dullest June on record 2 years previously. This spell of lovely weather is just that, if it was into the 30’s C then it wouldn’t be so lovely but humidity has been overwhelmingly on the low side so not a drama for most people.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

if it was into the 30’s C then it wouldn’t be so lovely but humidity has been overwhelmingly on the low side so not a drama for most people.

based on recent output, that looks set to change. 

Edited by draztik

Posted
14 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Nah it’s lovely.

i have to commute two hours each way every day using our laughable public transport system. My train home has been delayed every single evening by up to 2 hours at one point. I have to then sit on the floor between carriages with no air con because there’s nowhere to sit.

my hayfever has been off the charts the last few weeks and I’m constantly a sticky mess.

i still love it though and want it to stay until the end of September. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, draztik said:

based on recent output, that looks set to change. 

Sadly, yes. It’s about to turn from nice heat to the usual sticky gloop we are used to for a while.

Posted

BBC News - Lettuce growers warn of Imminent shortage

There is to be a lettuce shortage from the middle to end of next week - due to the high temperatures and current high demand! I expect the Vegan/Vegetarian alliance to call for an early end to this heatwave! We support them!! 

Edited by draztik

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Sadly, yes. It’s about to turn from nice heat to the usual sticky gloop we are used to for a while.

Yep the worst is still to come i fear,the model output is shocking. Looks like another 2 weeks of misery and sleepless nights to come. Disgusting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yep the worst is still to come i fear,the model output is shocking. Looks like another 2 weeks of misery and sleepless nights to come. Disgusting.

It’s the hot nights that I don’t really enjoy. Looking like upper teens this week rather than than the 10c or so it’s been here this week. You cant beat a dry, low humidity summer high.....clear skies, not too oppressive, cooler nights....lovely. That’s all about to change!

• Like 2