Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I was getting a bit concerned from recent gfs runs that we would be stuck with northeasterlies yet again pegging temps back. Im pleased to see that doesnt look the case. Low cloud and mist should be kept to a minimum and quickly burn back. Better than the warm spell at the start of June where the east coast was often shrouded in cloud all day. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
23 minutes ago, cheese said:

Anyone would think we've never had a few hot days before.. drama queen.

I suppose its like the drama queens in winter that cry at how cold it is for a few days...getting warm is a lot easier than getting cool don't forget,sleepless nights also are not a problem in winter. Its not only the heat but the irritation that the conditions ie very high pollen levels causes. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
47 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suppose its like the drama queens in winter that cry at how cold it is for a few days...getting warm is a lot easier than getting cool don't forget,sleepless nights also are not a problem in winter. Its not only the heat but the irritation that the conditions ie very high pollen levels causes. 

Keeping warm in winter is very expensive.  During the extreme cold during last February it was costing me  nearly £5 a day for gas and electricity (smart meters so have an energy monitor).  I live in a ground-floor flat so no roof to lose heat, have cavity insulation and double glazing.  In contrast today's bill is so far 97p although that'll go up by about 20p when I run a hot bath later.  That sum includes the standing charges, about 74p.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Keeping warm in winter is very expensive.  During the extreme cold during last February it was costing me  nearly £5 a day for gas and electricity (smart meters so have an energy monitor).  I live in a ground-floor flat so no roof to lose heat, have cavity insulation and double glazing.  In contrast today's bill is so far 97p although that'll go up by about 20p when I run a hot bath later.  That sum includes the standing charges, about 74p.

I thought you'd be running a cold one, Pete?:good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I thought you'd be running a cold one, Pete?:good:

I now prefer being warm especially as I'm getting on a bit.   Couldn't do any winter swimming this year due to stay in hospital but I hope to do so next winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Costs a lot more to keep warm in winter than it does to keep cool in summer. I think you forget that most people don't dislike heat as much as you do - you're the abnormal one I'm afraid.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

For me it is 3 times the cost in summer for my elec bill,my air con at home eats it,winter for me is a very cheap season,totally different to you i know! Hope you enjoy this weather,much more to your liking at last! Make the most of it,i understand how for you winter is so expensive,really sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Costs a lot more to keep warm in winter than it does to keep cool in summer. I think you forget that most people don't dislike heat as much as you do - you're the abnormal one I'm afraid.

I said it was easier to get warm,never mentioned the cost did i? Expelling heat is a lot harder than creating it. Trust me i know from years of working in my industry. I'm not abnormal,take offence to that. That is your opinion,in my opinion folk who crave heat and wish to sit out in it are not normal,but i would never say that,everybody to their own. Live and let live is my motto.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

I said it was easier to get warm,never mentioned the cost did i? Expelling heat is a lot harder than creating it. Trust me i know from years of working in my industry. I'm not abnormal,take offence to that. That is your opinion,in my opinion folk who crave heat and wish to sit out in it are not normal,but i would never say that,everybody to their own. Live and let live is my motto.

I totally agree, most normal people dislike extreme heat. Some people just have issues and can't seem to tolerate other peoples preferences....that's not normal in my view. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
32 minutes ago, simshady said:

I totally agree, most normal people dislike extreme heat. Some people just have issues and can't seem to tolerate other peoples preferences....that's not normal in my view. :)

I don't think it is even as simple as that, most would dislike going to work on public transport and working with poor air conditioning systems, on the other hand I suspect most would love to set up a chair of some sort in their garden and relax in the sun and heat or of course go to the beach or the park.

I am not looking forward to working in my lab where I have equipment which runs at 1200C with the air conditioning in dire need of replacing as it stands. It was 34C in there on Wednesday so probably getting close to 100F or higher next week. Still the evenings in the garden will be worth it. :)

If we do end up with an extended heat wave, then it is only going to cement 2018 as being a very interesting year weather wise, in fact it could quite easily top 2013 which also had a big switch from cold to hot.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, simshady said:

This is something that is oft repeated and would just like to make it plain, yet again, that I do not, nor ever have had an issue with peoples preferences. But i do have an issue when they misuse these preferences, not only to the determent of the thread by posting a load of insensitive drivel such as earlier in the year, but more to the point, they treat anybody who dares to challenge this ethos as pariahs and idiots as if only they have a divine right to an opinion

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

What awesome charts being pumped out for next week, bring on the heat, hoping for some cracking storms at some point too, all the storms that were about down here in the south a few weeks back all missed this location. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

with all the talk about how high the temperatures will be, there is a lack of talk about humidity values

25c with low humidity, probably feels more pleasant than 19c with high humidity

how it feels... but that night time minimum of 16c next Friday, is a worrying trend

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

if people dont like heat, why do so many of us chose to holiday in the heat?... ive never heard of people holidaying in a frozen place simply to 'enjoy' the cold! (they go for winter sports, not for the cold per-se)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

if people dont like heat, why do so many of us chose to holiday in the heat?... ive never heard of people holidaying in a frozen place simply to 'enjoy' the cold! (they go for winter sports, not for the cold per-se)

I don't know, Mushy - isn't huddling behind a windbreak, whilst wearing three layers of waterproof clothing, an integral part of the great British holiday experience? ?️

• Like 2

Posted

Despite the usual moaning, from the usual suspects, the next few weeks' weather looks like being nothing short of superb: just as with much of the 1976 and 1995 heatwaves, very warm or hot days will mostly be offset by relatively cool, fresh nights...?

IMO, those horribly humid 20C+ night-time minima of the past few years will be staying away, at least for the time-being...and even then, given that the late Spring/early Summer weather has been generally warmer this year anyway, we all ought to be somewhat more acclimatised to what's to come than is often the case?

Anywho, with the unfortunate exception of those, like Markyo, who'll have to endure really unpleasant conditions whilst working, I can't see a single thing to moan about.

Och well!:yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Despite the usual moaning, from the usual suspects, the next few weeks' weather looks like being nothing short of superb: just as with much of the 1976 and 1995 heatwaves, very warm or hot days will mostly be offset by relatively cool, fresh nights...?

IMO, those horribly humid 20C+ night-time minima of the past few years will be staying away, at least for the time-being...and even then, given that the late Spring/early Summer weather has been generally warmer this year anyway, we all ought to be somewhat more acclimatised to what's to come than is often the case?

Anywho, with the unfortunate exception of those, like Markyo, who'll have to endure really unpleasant conditions whilst working, I can't see a single thing to moan about.

Last lovely day in Gods own county,great breeze,feels really nice(even for me!). Down hill though from now on,dreading it........little sin to confess though Ed,i've wimped out,booked off latter half of the week,will be sat in doors watching my leccy meter spin round with the air con on. . One is getting  old,but even the youngsters will be suffering this week at work.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Why do folk, when the weather they crave for is occuring and looking to last at least 3-4 maybe 5 days do they show charts that predict this not being there beyond day 6?

Beats me, other than some folk should get outside after turning their pc/laptop/mobile off.

Similar in the winter as well. 

They seem unaware that we live in a Disturbed Maritime climate, which is a bit odd for folk living in this country.

hey ho, it takes all sorts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=disturnerd+maritime+climate&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&gws_rd=ssl

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, knocker said:

that I do not, nor ever have had an issue with peoples preferences. 

I bet you posted this with a big smirk on your face. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

models look good, my favourite summer weather is 25ish degrees and sunny, so pleased the real heat is downgraded, everyone on this forum should like sunny and 25 degrees?

only thing is the easterly breeze, to the prone locations like here could be affected by north sea mist

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Looking at Meto outlooks just now it seems we're in for a warm, and at times, hot few weeks. Add in May's weather and most of June and we'll be heading for a '76-type record breaker come end of Summer

Posted
24 minutes ago, cheese said:

I bet you posted this with a big smirk on your face. 

Not at all but I was thinking of the times people have said to me, "get real, this is a weather enthusiasts forum" after I had disagreed with a post, or posts. This of course infers that I'm not a weather enthusiast which I find both arrogant and insulting.

Edited by knocker

Posted
32 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

models look good, my favourite summer weather is 25ish degrees and sunny, so pleased the real heat is downgraded, everyone on this forum should like sunny and 25 degrees?

only thing is the easterly breeze, to the prone locations like here could be affected by north sea mist

25 degrees and sunny is perfect - a lot of us wanted hotter simply because it's interesting, though I don't mind either way as heat doesn't bother me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

25 degrees and sunny is perfect - a lot of us wanted hotter simply because it's interesting, though I don't mind either way as heat doesn't bother me.

Ay, it would be interesting for a record, but models last few runs trending wrong way for us, notable easterly breeze, meaning north sea mist

Posted
4 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Why do folk, when the weather they crave for is occuring and looking to last at least 3-4 maybe 5 days do they show charts that predict this not being there beyond day 6?

Greed. They want to see how long it will last and if it is not enough, the whinge begins.

I also think some people suffer from two dimensional thinking. Not every weather type is the same. Yet they keep coming back with the same idea. 

• Like 1