Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

I work in those conditions daily,so i'm not being silly!! Trust me you don't acclimatise,you just have to put up with it

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

No its not natural conditions,i work in man made created heat,the problem is the cooling off afterwards,here the weather has a massive effect

Posted
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

No its not natural conditions,i work in man made created heat,the problem is the cooling off afterwards,here the weather has a massive effect

I'm surprised that you are still alive as with that combination the heat index is way off the scale.

Posted
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm surprised that you are still alive as with that combination the heat index is way off the scale.

Its in steam decom rooms,they have to have no forced air induction and no open windows,we have to be careful,salt tablets/solutions in really hot weather. Timed on the worst sites. H&S on these ones i totally agree with! Some you can only stand a few minutes at a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I work in those conditions daily,so i'm not being silly!! Trust me you don't acclimatise,you just have to put up with it

you work 24/7?....

nope thought not, so how can you acclimatise whe you work 8 hours shifts (presumably) 5 days a week (presumably).

the point is that people who DO live in extreme heat/cold, DO acclimatise to it. in previous heatwaves where ive worked in 30c+ temps in the sun (with dirt and insects) you do get used to it.  thats not the same as your conditions where after work youre back into normal conditions.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you living in Bratislava? Been a warm summer so far over there. Pretty good here, too. Though I’m looking forward to moving to the Czech Republic later this year.

Moving to Czech Republic?????

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

you work 24/7?....

nope thought not, so how can you acclimatise whe you work 8 hours shifts (presumably) 5 days a week (presumably).

the point is that people who DO live in extreme heat/cold, DO acclimatise to it. in previous heatwaves where ive worked in 30c+ temps in the sun (with dirt and insects) you do get used to it.  thats not the same as your conditions where after work youre back into normal conditions.

Out of interest the WHO estimated that the extreme heat of August 2003, following an above average June and July, caused more than 15, 000 excess deaths in France, Portugal and Italy alone

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

Out of interest the WHO estimated that the extreme heat of August 2003, following an above average June and July, caused more than 15, 000 excess deaths in France, Portugal and Italy alone

Sadly heat kills just as well as cold. Cold takes the less well off more whilst the heat just takes. Extremes are certainly nothing to wish for.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 19/06/2018 at 07:11, stainesbloke said:

I don’t think anyone wants oppressively humid conditions. Warmth, yes. It’s cold and cloudy most of the year in this crappy climate, so it’s nice to feel the heat occasionally. 

There’s only so much moaning one should do before one does something about it. Getting air conditioning or similar at home is clearly one answer, if summers here are so awfully uncomfortable. 

Possible 30C next week.  Bring it on :yahoo:

Immeasurably better than the cold, windy, wet crap that is the British norm.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sadly heat kills just as well as cold. Cold takes the less well off more whilst the heat just takes. Extremes are certainly nothing to wish for.

There are many factors involved here. The 1995 Chicago heatwave was one of the worst natural disasters in US history and some years ago I read an interesting book on it, Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago (Illinois) by Eric Kilnenberg. A brief synopsis.

Heat waves in the United States kill more people during a typical year than all other natural disasters combined. Until now, no one could explain either the overwhelming number or the heartbreaking manner of the deaths resulting from the 1995 Chicago heat wave. Meteorologists and medical scientists have been unable to account for the scale of the trauma, and political officials have puzzled over the sources of the city's vulnerability. In Heat Wave, Eric Klinenberg takes us inside the anatomy of the metropolis to conduct what he calls a "social autopsy," examining the social, political, and institutional organs of the city that made this urban disaster so much worse than it ought to have been.

Starting with the question of why so many people died at home alone, Klinenberg investigates why some neighborhoods experienced greater mortality than others, how the city government responded to the crisis, and how journalists, scientists, and public officials reported on and about the disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

i dont know m8, i dont live there... maybe those countries met offices might have?.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Mix proper with vintage and you'll have an idea.

but we have had those... mixed winters with periods of mild/cold, settled/stormy wet/dry.. ok not much snow recently unless you count march (which is technically spring).. last winter wasnt overly mild, in fact wasnt it below average?.

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you living in Bratislava? Been a warm summer so far over there. Pretty good here, too. Though I’m looking forward to moving to the Czech Republic later this year.

Been living here for a year and a half now. April and May were very warm. Not so sure about June, but it's normally a warm month anyway. It's definitely been more humid this spring/early summer compared to last year, so there haven't really been many very high temperatures, but we've had a lot of thunderstorms. Speaking of which, there goes the first flash and bang of the evening. The front is nearing.

Whereabouts in in non-Slovak Czechoslovakia are you moving to?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Been living here for a year and a half now. April and May were very warm. Not so sure about June, but it's normally a warm month anyway. It's definitely been more humid this spring/early summer compared to last year, so there haven't really been many very high temperatures, but we've had a lot of thunderstorms. Speaking of which, there goes the first flash and bang of the evening. The front is nearing.

Whereabouts in in non-Slovak Czechoslovakia are you moving to?

How do you like it there? Is it a permanent move? I’ve only been to Bratislava once but remember it being a nice city. Am moving to Prague initially, for a year. May go elsewhere afterwards, my parents are from Brno and I love it there. 

Posted

Good place to live. Lots of varied things to do (from social stuff to nature) and a good base from which to get to other places.

Been to Brno a couple of times. Nice place, especially around the cathedral.

Anyway, that was a good storm. It's gone from 32C at 4pm to 20C at 11pm. There was a 5C drop in one hour between 8 & 9pm. I'm hoping the outlook improves because it's currently below-average well into next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Good place to live. Lots of varied things to do (from social stuff to nature) and a good base from which to get to other places.

Been to Brno a couple of times. Nice place, especially around the cathedral.

Anyway, that was a good storm. It's gone from 32C at 4pm to 20C at 11pm. There was a 5C drop in one hour between 8 & 9pm. I'm hoping the outlook improves because it's currently below-average well into next week.

Was that the same cold front that swept across the UK on Wednesday/night? There was a big temperature drop here, too but most noticeable was the sudden drop in humidity. Much drier air followed the cold front. This morning, it is only 11C, which is a bit of a shock as we’ve had much warmer nights recently. Next week looks hot here but I’m off to Spain tonight for a week so will miss it

Prague should be fun. I’ve always wanted to live in Czechoslovakia at some point, I feel at home there. 

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Prague should be fun. I’ve always wanted to live in Czechoslovakia at some point, I feel at home there. 

You can if you build a time machine. Czechoslovakia actually broke up in 1993.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

You can if you build a time machine. Czechoslovakia actually broke up in 1993.

Yes, old habits die hard! Does anyone actually use ‘Czechia’?

Posted
17 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Moving to Czech Republic?????

Yes! In November

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Any truth in the rumour that Tom is organising a Fantasy Maximum Temperature competition?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

cold in the winter, people can put more layers on. With the heat / humidity it can be difficult to escape from, unless you can afford a long trip to the far NW of Scotland

this is where A/C makes all the difference

i've got a wet sponge over my eye, which has been sore, watering and irritating me now for 5 days solid... and there is nothing to lower the pollen

levels, and that is with taking hayfever medication

Can't say i'm looking forward to the prospect of sleepless nights. Long duration heatwave especially with what it get's like in London, with

the underground becoming an oven. The risk of social unrest, and hospital admissions... it's all getting a bit worrying

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

cold in the winter, people can put more layers on. With the heat / humidity it can be difficult to escape from, unless you can afford a long trip to the far NW of Scotland

this is where A/C makes all the difference

i've got a wet sponge over my eye, which has been sore, watering and irritating me now for 5 days solid... and there is nothing to lower the pollen

levels, and that is with taking hayfever medication

Can't say i'm looking forward to the prospect of sleepless nights. Long duration heatwave especially with what it get's like in London, with

the underground becoming an oven. The risk of social unrest, and hospital admissions... it's all getting a bit worrying

wet clothes do it in evenings, pain but feels has to be done

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 21/06/2018 at 15:24, mushymanrob said:

However acclimatisation to heat lasts just a few weeks after exposure when heat tolerance reverts to normal.  Acclimatisation to cold is very diifferent.  Acclimatisation to extreme cold involves physiolgical adaptation through long training and you keep it for life.  Check my avatar