Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I have one. Helps up to 26c or so, but the current outputs suggest overnight temps may not drop below 20c even in the NW. Doesn't really "cut it" in conditions like that.

not sure what a cheap fan achieves? it just pushes warm air round does not cool the environment ..only A/C will do..you can pick them up relatively cheap, easy to set up and they work wonders.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
39 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Anyone fancy 40c next week

navgem-8-168.thumb.png.042eed6ea35d74b185685294e8f24126.png

navgemfr-8-168.thumb.png.9ae187571cdcdf528cc5649b2055e2ff.png

You've been at NAVGEMS control's haven't you Gav? 

59 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I have one. Helps up to 26c or so, but the current outputs suggest overnight temps may not drop below 20c even in the NW. Doesn't really "cut it" in conditions like that.

That output of 20c mins in the north west looks unlikely, it’s very rare to see those sorts of mins there.

I once fell asleep on a balcony in Oman in early July about 4years ago, the min that night was just a tad under 35c. One of the best nights sleep I’ve ever had. So to be honest I find it laughable when people struggle to deal with mins of 16-20c 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

That output of 20c mins in the north west looks unlikely, it’s very rare to see those sorts of mins there.

I once fell asleep on a balcony in Oman in early July about 4years ago, the min that night was just a tad under 35c. One of the best nights sleep I’ve ever had. So to be honest I find it laughable when people struggle to deal with mins of 16-20c 

In fairness, you're comparing sleeping outdoors to sleeping in British houses that are built with brick and double glazing and no AC, designed to retain heat rather than expel it. Even if it cools down at night, if your house receives sun all day then it's going to heat up pretty quickly.

Though as I said, for me it's not a big deal as I just use a thinner duvet or open the windows.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

opening a window helps little with a light to non existent wind from a warm direction. And thinner duvet? I don't know how you can sleep under one at all.

I agree with your first paragraph though. Our homes are not built for hot weather.

I can't sleep without a duvet - it's not even a case of feeling cool but psychologically I just can't do it. I need something over me and a blanket isn't thick enough.

• Like 1

Posted

Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

opening a window helps little with a light to non existent wind from a warm direction. And thinner duvet? I don't know how you can sleep under one at all.

I agree with your first paragraph though. Our homes are not built for hot weather.

20C minimum in the NW is impossible. We get just above 20C maximum during the day anyway in these heatwaves lol.

And absolutely.. Its not like in Spain when walking anywhere inside its nice and cold, its just hot everywhere when its warm here.

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

In fairness, you're comparing sleeping outdoors to sleeping in British houses that are built with brick and double glazing and no AC, designed to retain heat rather than expel it. Even if it cools down at night, if your house receives sun all day then it's going to heat up pretty quickly.

Though as I said, for me it's not a big deal as I just use a thinner duvet or open the windows.

Id say with all this climate change stuff we'd ought to be installing more aircon in the future. Woefully unprepared

Posted
3 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

20C minimum in the NW is impossible. We get just above 20C maximum during the day anyway in these heatwaves lol.

And absolutely.. Its not like in Spain when walking anywhere inside its nice and cold, its just hot everywhere when its warm here.

20C minimums are absolutely not impossible in the NW - they have occurred before. Here in Leeds they have occurred before. 

It's just very, very, very rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I can't sleep without a duvet - it's not even a case of feeling cool but psychologically I just can't do it. I need something over me and a blanket isn't thick enough.

I feel too 'open' without one

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

20C minimums are absolutely not impossible in the NW - they have occurred before. Here in Leeds they have occurred before. 

It's just very, very, very rare.

NW Ireland and it becomes practically impossible to achieve. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It’s run by the US navy...probably all had a bit much rum. Seriously though, it’s embarassingly bad at times, really needs looking at. To have such a large chunk of the UK over 100f is ludicrous, even more so with the set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Id say with all this climate change stuff we'd ought to be installing more aircon in the future. Woefully unprepared

After this Winter/Spring anyone would have thought we was entering a new ice age 

Posted
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

After this Winter/Spring anyone would have thought we was entering a new ice age 

We've gone so long without a proper winter, that people (DailyExpress) start thinking snow is now indicative of an ice age. 

Sad times.

• Like 2

Posted

Big cold front moving through this evening. Going from a high of 32C today to just 20C tomorrow, and not much warmer over the weekend. I hope it doesn't last too long, but at least I'll get to cool the flat down and there could be some fireworks later on.

By the way, I'm coming to Britain in the middle of July so if you're pining for cold, wet weather just wait a few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
52 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Big cold front moving through this evening. Going from a high of 32C today to just 20C tomorrow, and not much warmer over the weekend. I hope it doesn't last too long, but at least I'll get to cool the flat down and there could be some fireworks later on.

By the way, I'm coming to Britain in the middle of July so if you're pining for cold, wet weather just wait a few weeks.

Are you living in Bratislava? Been a warm summer so far over there. Pretty good here, too. Though I’m looking forward to moving to the Czech Republic later this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
17 hours ago, markyo said:

Have you ever worked in 40c plus temps with 100% humidity?

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
3 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

We've gone so long without a proper winter, that people (DailyExpress) start thinking snow is now indicative of an ice age. 

Sad times.

depends what your idea of a 'proper' winter is.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

Nor has anyone in the world as 40C with 100% humidity doesn't happen.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Is it actually impossible?

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

It probably feels like a steam sauna. 

• Like 1