Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Well the ECM once more absolutely stunning!! The good news is the 00z GFS was a significant cool and wet outlier after day 10 with a substantial cluster including control run extending the heat well into July. Top stuff again!

Screenshot_20180620-081842.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Not something you see that often

max.thumb.png.7996068a31b17199e0d9b2fedd53a7f4.png

Yikes....that's for thursday! You'd assume Friday & Saturday would also follow suit with the uppers & pressure profile. Flaming June indeed. Falling nicely around the equinox for maximum solar input!

Posted
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

To be fair we have about the mildest winters, coolest summers, and lowest sunshine hours for anywhere at our latitude (excluding Ireland) and are often frustratingly close to better conditions on the continent.
Also apart from our 'sunshine and showers' stuff I feel us being unusually changeable is possibly a myth, certainly temperature wise. We can go long periods with little more than bits of light rain, cloud and some sun. 

Nevertheless I'd prefer to live here than many arid climates e.g. California, possibly the med, and our narrow temp range for the latitude is in just about the right place for it to be possible to get snow with summers that are just about warm enough.

This is all true, but the constant 'what if' of the UK weather makes it so exciting! The fact we are constantly searching for the next big weather event makes us all weather mad I reckon.

I agree, what would be fun in living in California? Great for the sunshine of course, but you pretty much know every year for about 4-6 months it's guaranteed to be bone dry and sunny. What would the model watching be like? Anyway, despite London having the reputation as being shocking for wind and rain, it's much drier than New York etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
28 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Never understood the flaming June thing. It’s usually the poor relation of July and August. Last time it was warmer than those two months was 1970!

That's because the original meaning isn't weather related.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
3 hours ago, knocker said:

Not something you see that often

max.thumb.png.7996068a31b17199e0d9b2fedd53a7f4.png

...with the exception of summer 2018 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Singularity said:

...with the exception of summer 2018 

2 or 3 day spells of this is pretty typical in most summers but to get an extended period is much rarer. In fact I can only think of 4 summers to do so since the 00’s such as 2003, 2006, 2013, 2018 maybe? Exceptional stuff with the remarkable model agreement at a textbook time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

This is all true, but the constant 'what if' of the UK weather makes it so exciting! The fact we are constantly searching for the next big weather event makes us all weather mad I reckon.

I agree, what would be fun in living in California? Great for the sunshine of course, but you pretty much know every year for about 4-6 months it's guaranteed to be bone dry and sunny. What would the model watching be like? Anyway, despite London having the reputation as being shocking for wind and rain, it's much drier than New York etc.

Yes I've never understood the opinion of many about London's bad weather. I must say it tends to come from ignorant foreigners who are then pleasantly surprised. The media no doubt has a part to play. Similarly lots of people think Spain is hot and sunny everywhere all the time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The biggest issue with London and indeed the UK as a whole is the lack of sunshine. The UK is very cloudy. Even in the sunniest months the vast majority of places don't exceed 50% of possible sunshine - only the southern coastal strip does.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

The biggest issue with London and indeed the UK as a whole is the lack of sunshine. The UK is very cloudy. Even in the sunniest months the vast majority of places don't exceed 50% of possible sunshine - only the southern coastal strip does.

I will agree there cheese, average sunshine hours for London in December is a measly 52 hours. I know it's only really light for around 8 hours a day anyway, but that still gives around 240 hours of possible sun per month....which we see on average 24% of. The winter really drags it down, no wonder people feel so miserable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes the sunshine is the only really disappointing factor about our climate. If only we had more widespread sunshine it would be an ideal country to live in for so many reasons!

Posted

I share the thoughts of other members. A couple of days of hot weather is fine by me, but certainly don't want it to last long. Living in London the heat can be pretty horrible in the evenings (and when travelling).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i sometimes wonder if people have short memories of have never lived through a 'long hot summer'.

you get used to it... hot becomes the norm, pretty much like cold is every winter (normal cold) . i dunno, i always feel the first cold of winter far more then later cold. ive felt that with summer warmth too..

one things certain....moaning about it wont change a damn thing! lol.

ps i worked outdoors through the long hot summers of 75, 76, 83, 89, 90, 95, 03... etc.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I tend to agree Mushy, I also spend most of my daylight hours outdoors come Summer or Winter and you do get used to it. A good sun hat helps see me through the heat as theres nothing worse than heatstroke!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Very true. The UK/NW Europe would be far more pleasant if only there were more hours of sunshine throughout the year. Winter here is frequently incredibly grey and depressing, then summer comes and with it high hopes of long, sunny days but we often can’t seem to shift the clag either. Next week looks great, some hot and sunny days. Shame I’ll miss it as I’m off to Spain on Friday.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Very true. The UK/NW Europe would be far more pleasant if only there were more hours of sunshine throughout the year. Winter here is frequently incredibly grey and depressing, then summer comes and with it high hopes of long, sunny days but we often can’t seem to shift the clag either. Next week looks great, some hot and sunny days. Shame I’ll miss it as I’m off to Spain on Friday.

I think if UK winters where more  dry  and sunny it would help though we would need a range of 2500 m mountains running up the spine of Ireland ,wonder if any heavy construction companies would be interested ,lol

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I think if UK winters where more  dry  and sunny it would help though we would need a range of 2500 m mountains running up the spine of Ireland ,wonder if any heavy construction companies would be interested ,lol

Inconsiderate! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Looks OK to me, sunny tomorrow and Friday here. A keen NW breeze though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Looks OK to me, sunny tomorrow and Friday here. A keen NW breeze though

yeah better for you maybe, but my location exposed to Cheshire Gap breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

i sometimes wonder if people have short memories of have never lived through a 'long hot summer'.

you get used to it... hot becomes the norm, pretty much like cold is every winter (normal cold) . i dunno, i always feel the first cold of winter far more then later cold. ive felt that with summer warmth too..

one things certain....moaning about it wont change a damn thing! lol.

ps i worked outdoors through the long hot summers of 75, 76, 83, 89, 90, 95, 03... etc.

Have you ever worked in 40c plus temps with 100% humidity?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, markyo said:

Have you ever worked in 40c plus temps with 100% humidity?

Sure I've bowled in them! tenpin Stafford cannot afford air conditioning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sure I've bowled in them! tenpin Stafford cannot afford air conditioning

....that would classed as a fridge trust me!