Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

The summers here are frequently dull, miserable and depressing. It's not often we get proper summer heat and sunshine. We are an island in the Atlantic where the weather is extremely varied, sometimes very wet in the summer, sometimes very dry and occasionally very hot. If you don't like the varied UK climate (which unfortunately for you includes summer heatwaves) then I would recommend that you have contingency plans in the summer months to combat the odd occasional heatwave we are always likely to be susceptible to. Fortunately for you, unlike the majority of Europe, the UK is often affected by the jet stream which often dictates the summer with little sun and surpressed temperatures including a lot of rain. 

If the summer in this country makes life too miserable for you, then instead of moaning about it on a weather forum, I would suggest you invest your time and money perhaps relocating to the Highlands of Scotland, or investing in an air conditioning system to keep you cool during our (infrequent) hot weather. Plan holidays at work during summer months so you dont have to work when hot weather is most likely. Persistent moaning on a weather forum is not going to change things. The weather will do what the weather will do and unfortunately cannot be controlled. Perhaps instead of being cooped up indoors during hot weather moaning behind a laptop that you actually go out and enjoy the weather. Shorts, flip flops and a vest top normally suffices.

ENJOY! 

• Like 4

Well unsurprisingly we are stuck under a ton of cloud, looking at the satellite its going to be tough going breaking it up today, and tomorrow. While its mild at 19/16C it just looks miserable outside and while the current model output is great any real hot weather is still almost a week away.

Again I'll reiterate what I've already said before this week is SO much poor than what was originally modeled 5days ago, why should next week be any different.  

Edited by Alderc

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well unsurprisingly we are stuck under a ton of cloud, looking at the satellite its going to be tough going breaking it up today, and tomorrow. While its mild at 19/16C it just looks miserable outside and while the current model output is great any real hot weather is still almost a week away.

Again I'll reiterate what I've already said before this week is SO much poor than what was originally modeled 5days ago, why should next week be any different.  

Is it really that different from what was modelled? I remember posting last week that there would cloud issues with a moist humid airflow off a coolish Atlantic. Wall to wall sunshine was never being shown for Mon - Wed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, Alderc said:

not great weather this week, models suggest it turning summery from Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The latest GFS runs have a look of mid July 2006 about them. High pressure intensifying over the Uk and not budging for days on end. Im no fan of oppressive heat in the workplace or at night but other than that, bring it on!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, SizzlingHeat said:

The summers here are frequently dull, miserable and depressing. It's not often we get proper summer heat and sunshine. We are an island in the Atlantic where the weather is extremely varied, sometimes very wet in the summer, sometimes very dry and occasionally very hot. If you don't like the varied UK climate (which unfortunately for you includes summer heatwaves) then I would recommend that you have contingency plans in the summer months to combat the odd occasional heatwave we are always likely to be susceptible to. Fortunately for you, unlike the majority of Europe, the UK is often affected by the jet stream which often dictates the summer with little sun and surpressed temperatures including a lot of rain. 

If the summer in this country makes life too miserable for you, then instead of moaning about it on a weather forum, I would suggest you invest your time and money perhaps relocating to the Highlands of Scotland, or investing in an air conditioning system to keep you cool during our (infrequent) hot weather. Plan holidays at work during summer months so you dont have to work when hot weather is most likely. Persistent moaning on a weather forum is not going to change things. The weather will do what the weather will do and unfortunately cannot be controlled. Perhaps instead of being cooped up indoors during hot weather moaning behind a laptop that you actually go out and enjoy the weather. Shorts, flip flops and a vest top normally suffices.

ENJOY! 

Check the thread title...Model MOOOAAANS, Ramps and BAANTER i enjoy the entertainment of people moaning when they don't get the weather they like :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Bring on the heat & humidity! I love recording extremes, and if it also brings the threat of thunderstorms, it's an added bonus! phil_28.gif

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 hours ago, SizzlingHeat said:

ENJOY! 

Haha, what? They're not that bad. Sure, they're not exactly Mediterranean but they're far from dull, miserable and depressing. Only in the worst summers is that the case. You in Dorset, especially, should get some of the best sunshine hours of anywhere in the country.

2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha, what? They're not that bad. Sure, they're not exactly Mediterranean but they're far from dull, miserable and depressing. Only in the worst summers is that the case. You in Dorset, especially, should get some of the best sunshine hours of anywhere in the country.

I agree ,it's never that bad even with low pressure systems whizzing through often get sunny breezy conditions 

Posted

South Englanders have no right to complain about the weather.

Forgive me if I'm misreading the memo, but yousens have the best weather in the entirety of the two islands. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

You are not Chris Alder from UKWeatherworld? 

SO much poor? that is just pessimistic exaggeration. If it were SO much poor then cast you mind back to say late June 2007 or early June 2012 and transpose those conditions to now. In reality, it is mostly dry, maybe a lot of cloud and not a lot of breeze. 

So let's put a realistic stamp on it. It ain't gales, very cool and soaking wet.....

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Oh dear its been cloudy a few days, terrible isn't it. So unsurprising too for the South of England, y'all usually get the worst of the weather.

7 hours ago, knocker said:

Apropos nothing at all really but just a couple of passing observations vis next week

An omega block

1248268407_omega2.thumb.png.d79cc03f5ffcfd8c4b73c9f0c1078582.png

and a sounding for London

sounding.thumb.jpg.e232ea7e4cf987b4d7b063bcb6b13b7c.jpg

30°C is hot but one thing it isn't with 12°C dew point is particularly humid. Always gets confused by people in this country who equate the two, oppressive humidity would see the same temperature with dew points maybe around 25°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Yes exactly, dp of 12c with a 30c temperature isnt oppressive really. It’ll hopefully be a nice dry heat with no instability for a while, so we don’t all have to suffer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
8 hours ago, SizzlingHeat said:

ENJOY! 

lol by that logic I could tell you to move to the states. There, you'll get heat, cold and storms guaranteed. save you begging for conditions that this country isn't set up to cope with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
14 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

got a personal space cooler for just over 30 quid. Put some chilled water from the fridge into it, and maybe some ice.

I'm good to go, the humid muggy crap, got nothing on me now

tried one once. absolutely pathetic in terms of any "coolness" it generated.

Posted
15 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yes exactly, dp of 12c with a 30c temperature isnt oppressive really. It’ll hopefully be a nice dry heat with no instability for a while, so we don’t all have to suffer!

say that when the overnight temps stay at 19c as per the GFS outputs.

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Lovely going for a late evening walk with temps still in the 20s.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Lovely going for a late evening walk with temps still in the 20s.

yeah but not at 2 am for christ's sake.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

lol by that logic I could tell you to move to the states. There, you'll get heat, cold and storms guaranteed. save you begging for conditions that this country isn't set up to cope with.

I dont beg for these conditions, I just appreciate the varied weather and dont moan relentlessly. I live in dorset, a beautiful part of the country. Why would I want to live anywhere else?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

tried one once. absolutely pathetic in terms of any "coolness" it generated.

Oh 19 degrees. How terrible?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Why would anyone want to live anywhere else? The UK is great, you get about as much variance in weather here as anywhere on the planet! Predictably unpredictable, just how we like it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
35 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Actually whilst temperatures by day will reach the mid to high twenties widely the overnight lows are actually quite cool.

Monday morning

138-583UK.GIF?19-12   150-582UK.GIF?19-12

Single figures quite widely outside of the large urban centres. Contrast this with a highs widely into the mid-twenties by mid-afternoon (27/28C would be reached somewhere).

Tuesday

162-583UK.GIF?19-12   174-582UK.GIF?19-12

Again nothing particularly humid here with high single figures/low teens, again highs into the mid twenties and possibly higher in favoured spots.

If the high orientates itself favourably then the hest and humidty could increae but for the start of next week it is lots of sunshine, a little fair weather cloud and temperatures into the very warm category countrywide with the nights still having a little bit of a chill. Perfect really and in the semi-reliable nothing particularly overbearing. :)

• Like 3