Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well I’m enjoying this cold spell. Thunder and lightning last night, then a snow storm, -5C on the coast last night, more snow to come today, gales Thursday with minus maximum temperatures and prolonged snow possible Friday and Saturday. 

69B03B32-4E79-4569-B4B3-C9732179D606.jpeg

38BA6F4D-2898-4F65-9A8B-555F08A7B3AA.jpeg

A5CAC31C-323F-4620-A91C-DD8591BCEA82.jpeg

69370252-6D78-4418-81C3-AA145FE6FC9A.jpeg

29494DC2-99F7-47BC-A793-7B3BC242FD94.jpeg

F0688485-5FDB-4AA8-ADAD-078468F02F73.jpeg

Edited by Lowestoft Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
13 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

This is the moans thread to be fair Paul.

Indeed it is Paul.:)

I have no problem with other views,just putting in my own really in highlighting the notable cold uppers(-16C incoming) more so considering  the lateness of the season.The cold is here for at least 3 more days so maybe a bit soon for some folk to be disappointed if snow hasn't appeared more widely yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well put @cheese its all good looking at synoptics.  but the Synoptics are just on computer screens if they don’t deliver.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, syed2878 said:

well put @cheese its all good looking at synoptics.  but the Synoptics are just on computer screens if they don’t deliver.

That's my point, they may be impressive on screen but if they don't deliver then they are nothing more than a screensaver

1 hour ago, snow freak said:

yes this 'beast' has really been more of a pussycat, in terms of delivering snowfall for most of us.  March 2013 was infinately better in all ways.  this so far has turned into a damp squid

Try telling that to the folk who have plenty of th stuff. And more to come. Even Merseyside got in on the action and look like they may get more. I was due to fly back to Liverpool Friday evening from Spain where I live but the company I’m flying with have said I can change my flights for free to a later date as they expect disruption. Not everyone’s view that it’s been a poor event. And really it is only day one!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
16 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

What people need to understand here is that all we can do is look at the pattern in front of us and made a decent suggestion to what is happening on the ground.

Has this spell been overhyped? No, the outcome is pretty much going as predicted with exceptionally cold air reaching our shores which hasn't happened for over 20 years. Now when it comes to snow, maybe the the precipitation has been a lot more showery than many expected, but that isn't the fault of those on here who have been posting about the background into what has caused this cold spell to develop, or even the metoffice who have been calling this spell for a long while as well. In the end forecasting precipitation from showers is always going to be hard.

In the end we have unusually deep cold at a time of year where the temperatures at 850hpa are rarely recorded down here, trying to decipher a reasonable conclusion was always going to be difficult. Still the coldest day is tomorrw with the -16C isotherm reaching many parts of the UK around the same time as the lowest heights arrive as well at 500mb. So tomorrow should see heavier and more prolonged showers, especially in the north with an ESE wind.

Posted

I've always wanted to experience a proper easterly spell with sub -15C 850hPa temps, something which even 1991 failed to reach as the colder uppers were further south. My hope is that tonight when those colder uppers arrive we get peppered with showers because today has been very disappointing indeed so far. We did wake up with 1cm of snow so our 5 year and one month spell without any measurable snow in winter is officially over, however by midday it was pretty much gone.

The main issue has been that we've had hours between showers and as a result we reached a temp of 1.9C.

We've only had two ice days in January and February in the last 26 years, so tomorrow has the potential to be quite notable. That alone has me interested but if this event doesn't deliver notable snow then it'll be a bust in my view as synoptics generally don't get much better than this for us.

Ill reserve judgement on the entire cold spell when its finished however.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, phil nw. said:

Indeed it is Paul.:)

I have no problem with other views,just putting in my own really in highlighting the notable cold uppers(-16C incoming) more so considering  the lateness of the season.The cold is here for at least 3 more days so maybe a bit soon for some folk to be disappointed if snow hasn't appeared more widely yet.

I meant Phil in my last post, not Paul :D.

Posted

Crazy snow here. Can almost see some of it through the short grass!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Totally perfect day for kids at school, every twenty minutes, yet another snow storm of fluffy white dusty flakes, nothing sticking but everything looked wintry, some of the kids still coming to school with no coats.....

Posted

WFT is going on here. Someone explain. This wonderful, plump exciting snow-storm cell at last on an easterly trajectory coming right towards has just disintegrated in a few minutes.

Now don't you give me that 'it's dry air' blather.

Someone's up there in a plane with an anti-snow cloud seeder trying to spoil everyone's fun.

wheresnowgo.png

Posted
On 20/02/2018 at 11:02, drgl said:

I'll eat my hat if what actually happens is anything like what the computer models are showing. Been here many times, this place goes into meltdown and zip actually happens. Hope I am wrong but until the event actually starts feet firmly on the ground. The forecasts back on December 8th were incorrect, forecasting heavy snow when we had none and vice versa. Comparing these fantasy charts to the likes 0f 47, 63 , 87 etc is just bonkers. Hope I'm wrong and will need to get the shovel out again next week but somehow doubt it......

Well I'm glad I didn't believe the hype and get excited. This cold spell isn't even that cold let alone snowy! Thankfully this winter as a whole has been much better and the best in 5 years here. Hoping the solar minimum brings some  good winters. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, AtlanticFlamethrower said:

WFT is going on here. Someone explain. This wonderful, plump exciting snow-storm cell at last on an easterly trajectory coming right towards has just disintegrated in a few minutes.

Now don't you give me that 'it's dry air' blather.

Someone's up there in a plane with an anti-snow cloud seeder trying to spoil everyone's fun.

wheresnowgo.png

Crazy immediate disintegration. Looking at the netweather radar right now this isn't happening to showers that are coming on to land elsewhere in the UK. It only needed to get 14 miles inland to where I am. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, AtlanticFlamethrower said:

Crazy immediate disintegration. Looking at the netweather radar right now this isn't happening to showers that are coming on to land elsewhere in the UK. It only needed to get 14 miles inland to where I am. 

It’s doing the opposite here - they arrive as pale echoes from the Channel and perk up the second they’ve passed over and continue over Kent!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lot of yellow snow warnings......thought that was obvious,i never touch yellow snow!:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Met Eireann have a Red Alert in Operation along the Eastern Seaboard of Ireland. 25cm of Snow are expected to fall by this time tomorrow!! Most Places have had between 6- 10cm of Snow so far  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So true,so very true:D

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

The snow here in the central belt is truly epic , not see anything this bad since 2009/10 :-)

Pictures!! Quite impressed with the snow showers we've had today. Something tells me the forecasts (I've seen) aren't handling the low that is due to hit later this week correctly. Me thinks we may get a pasting......

• Like 1

Posted
On 2/25/2018 at 02:45, Nizzer said:

Boring! :search: For an Easterly, this current cold spell has been very mundane in my location. Wish I was in Scotland, now there's some proper epic weather!

Edited by Nizzer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

The greatest Winter of my life and now the most insane snow day I have ever witnessed! 

The Beast from the East has delivered in the most spectacular way possible! 

Video from my house and picture of road just outside it! :yahoo::santa-emoji:

Cheers everyone! 

B1DE2C7A-5149-4234-8519-85DBB9827A7C.MOV

CDAC5FB4-4732-4E8A-9B08-6B4F8CEE4EF9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

people over in the MOD thread wishing for more snow and more cold.... given the ECM's 'upgrade' this evening.

The most selfish, indulgent folk you're ever going to meet are in there going bananas. All while folk are being killed, and cant go to work in these conditions. Aye, we'll cover the bill, while 'folk in France' sit idly by posting on a forum. 

Shocking!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters
25 minutes ago, draztik said:

people over in the MOD thread wishing for more snow and more cold.... given the ECM's 'upgrade' this evening.

The most selfish, indulgent folk you're ever going to meet are in there going bananas. All while folk are being killed, and cant go to work in these conditions. Aye, we'll cover the bill, while 'folk in France' sit idly by posting on a forum. 

Shocking!

Best post I have ever read on these forums. Hats off to you. Tonights ECM I pray is wrong. Fed up with this awful weather now. Sooner it's gone the better. 

Edited by LJS22
Delete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 hour ago, draztik said:

Shocking!

Bring out the tumbrils!  Un peau over dramatic je pense.  half the baying mob in here would be with em, in spirit if nought else.  Yes for parts of the country it is awful, for others not, and no one wishes anyone to suffer or die as a result of this weather, and sensible folk will take sensible precautions, mad Fokkers won’t, neighbours will help neighbours, some won’t. Tis life. 

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, draztik said:

Shocking!

Tell me about it. Those people are NUTS. Red warnings out now. RED! This weather is nothing to be welcomed. Its dangerous. As I feared, the ECM 0z was a huge outlier this morning and the GFS has been trending colder over the last few runs. Replies from others beggar belief. You can take every precaution in the world and its still not going to be enough. People WILL die before this is over. Some already have due to treacherous driving conditions. And the worst is yet to come. To think that some are "disappointed" with what's come out of this spell. Lets just hope nobody they care about needs an ambulance and the roads are impassable.

• Like 2