Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
5 hours ago, radiohead said:

Ian McCaskill began his famous Feb 1991 "grim outlook" forecast by first highlighting the expectional warm temperatures in the eastern US. 

Such to see such nonsense talk of "propaganda" on this website, which is insulting to these professional forecasters. 

If uppers are likely to be as 91 how come we are not going to be getting the snow that we did in 91. If the cold pool is of similar depth. Perhaps low pressure was closer by in 91. I am not saying we wont get snow, just that in 91 there was a strong signal of heavy persistent snow from the start

Posted

Thanks for sending the jet so far south, weather Gods. It's raining and 16°C in the Canaries now. Who do I complain to?

Posted

I have a feeling us in Skegness could end up cut off a lot of the predicted snow is aiming at us. Anyone i've spoke to has dismissed it as just a bit of "cold rain" ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
55 minutes ago, ptow said:

If uppers are likely to be as 91 how come we are not going to be getting the snow that we did in 91. If the cold pool is of similar depth. Perhaps low pressure was closer by in 91. I am not saying we wont get snow, just that in 91 there was a strong signal of heavy persistent snow from the start

I remember back in 91 we had a few kinks in the isobars then. Looking at the latest charts something similar is looking likely this time round so looking very positive!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
56 minutes ago, ptow said:

He's forecasting from the day before the event. Wait until Sunday/Monday forecasts to possibly see similarities.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Looking at this forecast for Wednesday puts you more likely to be right alibabba:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Pe253ql

More fool them.I have a stack of logs lots of coal ..oh and a pub in my back garden ?? warmth and beer Im sorted lol

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, alibabba said:

More fool them.I have a stack of logs lots of coal ..oh and a pub in my back garden ?? warmth and beer Im sorted lol

all rounds to yours for beer and snow watch then, lol, x

Edited by sparky1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Its all over for the South by next Friday if the GFS OP verifies.  Fingers crossed its a rogue run. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, Shunter said:

Its all over for the South by next Friday if the GFS OP verifies.  Fingers crossed its a rogue run. 

Which is unlikely, though of course possible. A week away, too. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

Somehow I'm still not believing this is actually going to happen after being let down so many times , but even so I've prepped the Range Rover today , rescue kit in the boot , charged up batteries etc etc. My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
3 minutes ago, MarkM said:

My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

A broken clock is correct twice a day..

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

11 minutes ago, MarkM said:

Somehow I'm still not believing this is actually going to happen after being let down so many times , but even so I've prepped the Range Rover today , rescue kit in the boot , charged up batteries etc etc. My only regret is that those fools that write in the express and mail will claim they forecasted it all along. 

Well you might be be right. Our local TV forecast mentions average temps in in the south next Week around 7c, Spring like I would say.

Posted

Unprecedented snow fall has fallen near Venice today, the seaside resort of Jesolo has snow on the beech...  My mum grew up near and never did this happen.. An omen for what is to come in the UK?

http://www.veneziatoday.it/cronaca/neve-spiaggia-jesolo-23-febbraio-2018-video.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
43 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Well you might be be right. Our local TV forecast mentions average temps in in the south next Week around 7c, Spring like I would say.

This is a joke ? Surely!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

As a treat I showed all my classes a bit of the GFS model running at the end of their lessons, plus a photo of my 1991 igloo and gave a quick tutorial on how to build it using a long stick in the centre to get the radius the same all the way round. They were super impressed, and a bit mystified as to why there has been no snow forecast yet. Quite a lot of them knew about the SSW and the easterly winds - I hope I haven't got their hopes up regarding snowfall - even a little bit will be good for sledging, but you need quite a depth to make an igloo.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, trumpage said:

Unprecedented snow fall has fallen near Venice today, the seaside resort of Jesolo has snow on the beech...  My mum grew up near and never did this happen.. An omen for what is to come in the UK?

http://www.veneziatoday.it/cronaca/neve-spiaggia-jesolo-23-febbraio-2018-video.html

They get strong mountain effects from the Alps. Milan gets it bad too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
2 hours ago, MarkM said:

Same here subaru legacy AWD ready with Goodyear Alpine winter tyres on all  4 wheels. I need it where I live.

Enjoy the fun .

I find my subaru legacy AWD .awesome in the snow never have to think what happens if I get stuck lol