Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
7 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BBC weather.....a disgrace.  Thin wedge of Eastern seaboard seeing very mild, most of N America in the freezer but they talk of NYC mild/warmth.  Classic propaganda as the layman will say.....really warm in America.  Shte

BFTP.

Never mind BBC weather, the BBC news is so shocking and disgusting keeping such important information from the public who may be making plans for next week unaware of the conditions about to arrive ?

Posted

I am driving up from London to Fort William on Saturday 3rd of June looking at the charts it may be a challenging journey. Definatly something to keep a close eye on as the time gets closer.  My BMW is not the most snow friendly car.  On the plus side if I make it it it looks like I will have plenty of opportunity of putting my snow blades to good use!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Been trying to convince my wife about the potential severity of next week. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

My wife isn't interested, she just keeps telling me to shut-up about the bloody weather!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

During the peak of the cold spell tamper with the central heating for a couple of days, pretend its broken and make the house freezing.  She might show a tad more interest in pending cold weather spells after that!

• Like 1

Posted

A question to the more knowledgeable on here.

With strong blocking over Greenland and Scandinavia, what actually happens to all the low pressure systems (energy) in between? (What the Americans call the Atlantic log jam!)

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
13 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Me too and everyone at work, told em to make sure they put a big coat and hat in boot of car for next week when coming to work, most just laughed and one said "don't be daft its March next week and it gets warmer in March. :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I still think there will be a little evaporating of some snow, at least for places that don't get a good base cover

Frost yesterday morning, but it disappeared as soon as the Sun hit it

Considering the carnage that follows a little wintry spell, i think the infra-structure of the Uk, is about to get testing big time, from the weather

Posted
21 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

My wife isn't interested, she just keeps telling me to shut-up about the bloody weather!

Funnily enough I had pretty much the same response. I  just mentioned being prepared on a car journey.  I  said "Find out the hard way then":wallbash:

Edited by 78/79

Posted
17 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Me too and everyone at work, told em to make sure they put a big coat and hat in boot of car for next week when coming to work, most just laughed and one said "don't be daft its March next week and it gets warmer in March. :wallbash:

Reminds me of some of these blokes you see walking around in shorts and flip flops in March. They see a bit of sunshine and think it' summer. and  look at a few daffodils and think Winters over. :D

Edited by 78/79

Posted

8 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BBC weather.....a disgrace.  Thin wedge of Eastern seaboard seeing very mild, most of N America in the freezer but they talk of NYC mild/warmth.  Classic propaganda as the layman will say.....really warm in America.  Shte

BFTP.

Lol, or because the +26C was a new February record temperature in New York and a big population centre so thought it was a point of interest to mention, whereas the cold in other areas is normal or not record breaking?

The thought of 'propaganda' probably didn't even cross their mind.

Actually the last time I remember them talking about USA weather (may have been occurrences since, I don't watch all forecasts), was them talking about severe cold/snow earlier this winter with -39C being a record for a certain location...

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
33 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

My husband is the same,I've been trying to warn him all he says is "yes dear" , nods , but with a glazed look in his eyes as it is weather related.

Well I've got my stock of favourite goodies in, 5 mile walk to nearest town, I will savour every bite. mawhahahah.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
54 minutes ago, trumpage said:

I am driving up from London to Fort William on Saturday 3rd of June looking at the charts it may be a challenging journey. Definatly something to keep a close eye on as the time gets closer.  My BMW is not the most snow friendly car.  On the plus side if I make it it it looks like I will have plenty of opportunity of putting my snow blades to good use!  

3rd is a Sunday, month until Wimbledon!

Posted
10 hours ago, V for Very Cold said:

Think I'm going to have to go collecting wood for the fires in the next few days !

Picked  heap up off of the verges the other day. Enough to supplement the log  store .Ash limbs lying around all over the place around here..Just need to keep your eyes open :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Too far off to take it seriously but If that low forms I hope it’s more like last nights run. Brings the warmer temps in too soon on this. I’m heading to the east coast of Yorkshire Friday so I’m hoping to see some insane snow amounts. Well if I make it there! 

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

people don't trust forecasters down here so i've only told my cat, so i don't get laughed at.

What was his reply ?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Everyone set for THE GREAT REGIONAL BICKERING OF 2018. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Lol, or because the +26C was a new February record temperature in New York and a big population centre so thought it was a point of interest to mention, whereas the cold in other areas is normal or not record breaking?

The thought of 'propaganda' probably didn't even cross their mind.

Actually the last time I remember them talking about USA weather (may have been occurrences since, I don't watch all forecasts), was them talking about severe cold/snow earlier this winter with -39C being a record for a certain location...

Ian McCaskill began his famous Feb 1991 "grim outlook" forecast by first highlighting the expectional warm temperatures in the eastern US. 

Such to see such nonsense talk of "propaganda" on this website, which is insulting to these professional forecasters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, memories of 63 said:

I've got to drive fromLeeds to Newcastle on Monday,returning Wednesday.  Should I take a shovel?

I’d be postponing the trip, if possible. Imagine being stuck on a motorway for hours in that cold. The showers look lively for that part of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Concerned how the country will cope if that LP verifies :shok:

h500slp.thumb.png.8a43a4fdcb964f20fc8606aacd476f9b.png

Posted
42 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’d be postponing the trip, if possible. Imagine being stuck on a motorway for hours in that cold. The showers look lively for that part of the UK.

Yes I would kill that trip now, don't think the highway boys will be wanting to dig you out of the snow, they will be struggling as it is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

And so the incredible output continues unabated. As the back end of next week creeps into high-res, we'll get a good idea of quite how severe this could end up. It could be quite something based on this morning's output with that approaching low threatening, although I'm guessing this is more likely to end up going further south than currently modeled.

As expected we're now getting the MetO firming up on the locality of potential disruption. We now have 5-10cm maxes quoted locally for both Mon and Tue. Not sure my location will see quite that, but would be surprised to see less than 5-10cms across these two days. Somewhere in the warning zone for Mon and Tue is going to get a pasting, and that's before Wed/Thu are done with us.

Certainly, the language they're using is consistent with some huge accumulations, so I'd expect more localised amber warnings to start appearing over the weekend. The mention of rural locations being cut off would probably translate to, what, 20-30 cms at least? That is a worrying prospect for many and we should remember that. If Wednesday and Thursday provide similar accumulations, somewhere is going to be buried by the time the week's out.

All very interesting for us weather geeks. Aside from the obvious fun, there's a very tough week approaching for many, with the obvious risk to life on the roads and very difficult commuting conditions.

• Like 2