Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

BBC going for a chance of snow next week suppose it's ,better than the whole of uk will be dry next week they put on their forecast graphic a couple of days ago.

yet met office being say snow showers and threat of prolonged. snow for what seems like ages now,think BBC using metogroup for their forecasts now was a bad idea 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted

ecm looks insane for cold it seems to be upgrading the severity of the cold ,at least the snow will be dry when it falls

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

BBC going for a chance of snow next week suppose it's ,better than the whole of uk will be dry next week they put on their forecast graphic a couple of days ago.

yet met office being say snow showers and threat of prolonged. snow for what seems like ages now,think BBC using metogroup for their forecasts now was a bad idea 

BBC Weather will not commit themselves to snow amounts and where it will actually fall until much closer to the event - we should have a much better idea by Sundays Countryfile Forecast.

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
26 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

BBC Weather will not commit themselves to snow amounts and where it will actually fall until much closer to the event - we should have a much better idea by Sundays Countryfile Forecast.

Agree. But given the almost unanimous agreement of abnormal cold and snow an early headline advisory ( heads up ) would appear sensible to those planning long distance travel over the weekend.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Shunter said:

Agree. But given the almost unanimous agreement of abnormal cold and snow an early headline advisory ( heads up ) would appear sensible to those planning long distance travel over the weekend.

Unless I am mistaken there is no major threat over the weekend!

To add to that, BBC now only get warnings from UK Met, I suspect this anomaly is going to be fairly evident at times, both in the near future and when BBC have differing data from that UK Met use. Who would be a weather presenter in these situations, not an easy job.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Oh know guise! Teh models don't show -24 uppers across the hole of the UK so it are marginal and dry!!! All teh cold is going into France!!!! Rain south of M4!!! It is still in F1!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teh high pressure is one mile further south!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DNOWGRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c76369708ceb6ec8ac07f0520f6b600690082df7fa540793c929a0d10aeb34d2.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Oh know guise! Teh models don't show -24 uppers across the hole of the UK so it are marginal and dry!!! All teh cold is going into France!!!! Rain south of M4!!! It is still in F1!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teh high pressure is one mile further south!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DNOWGRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c76369708ceb6ec8ac07f0520f6b600690082df7fa540793c929a0d10aeb34d2.jpg

I was thinking of setting up an ebay shop to sell all the toys that get thrown out of the prams each run :rofl:

Posted
7 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

I was thinking of setting up an ebay shop to sell all the toys that get thrown out of the prams each run :rofl:

Bah, the real money is to be made by generating hydroelectric power from the tears of people in the model thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
19 minutes ago, Shunter said:

The discrepancy is extraordinary. The Met Office now have my location under a mixture of heavy and light snow continuously for two days from Monday evening, whereas the BBC is still suggesting breezy light cloud throughout that time apart from a single snow shower on Tuesday morning. It's very misleading for those with important appointments and travel plans if the Beeb with Meteogroup input now intends to sit firmly on the fence pretty much until the weather is actually happening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Just wondering , given the fact that the 47 winter  started mid Jan , and was based around a  large Scandinavian High , does this upcoming one bear any similarities ?. Apparently it was one of the snowiest on record.

Posted
23 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Unless I am mistaken there is no major threat over the weekend!

To add to that, BBC now only get warnings from UK Met, I suspect this anomaly is going to be fairly evident at times, both in the near future and when BBC have differing data from that UK Met use. Who would be a weather presenter in these situations, not an easy job.

Interestingly John according their site MeteoGroup have R&D in the UKMet model

https://www.meteogroup.com/about-meteogroup

Given that blurb it probably means that it comes down the human interpretation( Chief Forecaster?) on weather warnings and there is  almost certainly a process to be followed and is being followed ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

if this Easterly literally goes south then i'd probably give up all weather watching and probably all hope too. 

Nothing like 2 weeks of dramatic tempting expectant big cold - snow, once in a lifetime event, to be shown and then mercilessly denied at so close a time... 

to make one feel so empty and cheated. 

that's how I'll feel if it doesn't pan out. be prepared for the worst. 

but quietly hope for the best. ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
38 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Given that blurb it probably means that it comes down the human interpretation( Chief Forecaster?) on weather warnings and there is  almost certainly a process to be followed and is being followed ?

They describe themselves as "The global weather authority"

Yeah, not sure I like that. I wonder what the tender process was at the Beeb? A discussion for another thread though.

Posted
43 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Not sure I understand what you are saying there, sorry

Forecasts come from Meteogroup, how much if any human intervention before it gets to the BBC forecaster I do not know.

The warnings are issued to the BBC by Met O Exeter.

Which is why I suggest two sources using different data sources. A recipe at some stage for a 'cock-up', excuse the word!

Anyway it is best to carry on this in the media area I think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

The BBC weather is a waste of time. Stick to the charts ?

Posted

Will post my reply in the media area re BBC as it has already been hidden by mods as being in the wrong thread.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

How useless are the models in picking up convective precipation with massive temperature contrasts! 

Very little in the way of precipitation showing for the first part of next week ?

8B5AB760-C976-459A-99E3-675F78D00652.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

There is a very short distance between very cold uppers and a more springlike set of uppers and each run appears to bring spring like warmth very close to us?

One wrong placed low and we see spring not a last chance of winter!

Will the models ramp up and make things more secure looking or will they pull back and have a watered down version with a mixed bag of wintry showers and more early spring like conditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS 06Z, another variation I know, but a bit north, hope for southwards shift on 12Z, for longer lasting beast

Posted

The GFS 6z ensembles show just how delightful this spell could be. The 'clean' runs with their mouth watering 850s vs the messy shortwave city runs, which still manage to maintain near enough -10 850s for around 4-5 days. 

I'm totally not excited.....

Posted

One Grumble i have  is not with the weather but the Locations they stat on the weather forecast etc.  I mean what is the South Of the Uk   were does it finish?.  Confuses me.  alas dosent take alot