Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
Just now, Danielvn said:

Preying?

no one wants it to be cold more than I do, but people shout you down as soon as you try to talk about being cautious...

In my opinion, if I wanted to be cautious, I wouldn't visit this site, I would just visit the BBC/Met Office site. I want ramping and excitement. I want members digging out the coldest and snowiest perturbations. If you don't want to be dissapointed, get your weather news from the pro's!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Yep, they play the odds every time cold is forecast and say it'll fail. Not a particularly insightful or clever prediction when the UK is involved, they moan about ramping snow and cold then indulge in their own ramping against it, and contribute nothing except trying to sow misery. Weird, why would you do that?

It's ok, in a week's time you'll have forgotten this 'cold spell' (because it won't have happened!).

Posted
Just now, Seasonality said:

Yep, they play the odds every time cold is forecast and say it'll fail. Not a particularly insightful or clever prediction when the UK is involved, they moan about ramping snow and cold then indulge in their own ramping against it, and contribute nothing except trying to sow misery. Weird, why would you do that?

Surely what is important is who is correct?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, Nizzer said:

In my opinion, if I wanted to be cautious, I wouldn't visit this site, I would just visit the BBC/Met Office site. I want ramping and excitement. I want members digging out the coldest and snowiest perturbations. If you don't want to be dissapointed, get your weather news from the pro's!

Mind you, even the Met are 'ramping now!' And they're the best there is IMO.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

It's ok, in a week's time you'll have forgotten this 'cold spell' (because it won't have happened!).

That one is even better, bravo! Do you do weddings or barmitzvahs?

Posted

I'm staying cautious. Bitter experience has taught us what happens when small, seemingly inocuous changes for the worse creep in. "It's only 1 run, it's only the GFS, we still have the UKMO on side, it can all change tomorrow.........D'oh!"

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Danielvn said:

Surely what is important is who is correct?

Sure, correctness through reasoned forecasting, not through stopped clock being right twice a day repetition.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

That one is even better, bravo! Do you do weddings or barmitzvahs?

Only when the weather is mild (which will probably be next week as our cold is shunted towards Maghreb).

Posted

Those screaming the south needs the coldest uppers seem to think the western side of the north doesn't exist, we also need the coldest uppers to produce more sustained convection and the potential for troughs to drag that precipitation over to the west coast. I don't care if these synoptics bury the entire North East of England and Scotland; I don't live there anymore. I need very cold uppers in order for more convection to be formed in the north sea, the more convection that's formed the better chance I have of some getting to me. The ideals a polar low as shown in some other recent runs, but that's unrealistic.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Only when the weather is mild (which will probably be next week as our cold is shunted towards Maghreb).

You mean the Maghreb, it is a region rather than a specific country. Definite article is required!

Posted
Just now, Seasonality said:

You mean the Maghreb, it is a region rather than a specific country. Definite article is required!

Sorry, sir. You are correct.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Sorry, sir. You are correct.

Book your trip to Morocco, send us snow pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

have the wheels started to come off, that is why the champers were on ice

I think even the Met Office went too soon, with the hype, and talk of the 'beast'

The High from the North, sinks the Beast from the East

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

think we have now peaked with the EPIC charts...

attention now turns to the features that will pop up as we close in on next week, these will favour some and not others in terms of snow potential and depth of cold!

Lots in the MOD thread will soon be focusing on the end of said cold spell before it has kicked in properly i reckon too.

the joys :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

No, no. Being cautious is fine. There is a line between being cautious and winding people up though (you're not crossing it btw).

But it’s just so stupid how people get their hopes up multiple times every winter when it’s never that promising and then moan when it goes Pete Tong. People act as if the cautious people are causing warmer weather.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

If you want cold charts and aren’t bothered about whether they verify then I’ll send you a load of maps and some crayons? I come here to get an idea of what is likely to happen in the near to distant future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Oh Lancashire........

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.dc036d0ad56e51ba2263bb2a80813420.png9999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.png.ef512971fba0f01cb82d736e19735cdc.png

FI

h500slp.thumb.png.f6e127105faa91f40ad234e555bd61a0.png

Posted
Just now, Danielvn said:

But it’s just so stupid how people get their hopes up multiple times every winter when it’s never that promising and then moan when it goes Pete Tong. People act as if the cautious people are causing warmer weather.

It's been this way since the site started. It was like that on the old BBC Snow Watch forum too! It's why most people visit. The chase is sometimes just as good as the actual outcome! It would be rather boring if you just had one or two guys posting a weather forecast everyday wouldn't it?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I was never going to get excited anyway  ,yes that's me the hole in the mint ,lol

IMG_1684.PNG

Erm....and me :D