Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

LOL  ive got myself into one here   he wants shelters put up for the Homeless  Expects 10 ft drifts  and the vortex to be over us till April   Apparently the Government are aware and are making plans.  

Might get 10 foot drifts and poor visibility, but that will likely be where the breeze whips up all the salt into drifts at the side of the road. 

The cold is pretty much nailed on but the jury is still out on 'deep' snow. ECM would deliver but the 06 GFS was a fair bit drier with higher pressure. 

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

Eeek, i'd sneak away quickly if i was you. 

Bonkers or not, he does have a valid point about the homeless.  Sleeping rough in temps failing to get above freezing for just a couple of days is a serious risk.

Yes he does  But alas the government will not do anything about that.   My opinion is though that people are a lot better prepared now than in anytime in history.  I mean imagine the cold years ago with no insulation  Central Heating etc  must have been raw 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
31 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Guy on Twitter  wants the army in  and a COBRA Meeting ASAP   he is having a right go at me.  :D

Sounds like he is barking, or a troll. Post screen caps of the convo for our amusement please :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
17 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

I'm sure he blames the Remoaners!! Bloody EU sending their cold over here. He read that in the Express too.

Hello fellow Chelmsfordian.

Don't whatever you do do not get @weirp started on Brexit.:pardon:

By the way Weirpig Jena sends her regards and we both trust you are well. :)The forthcoming deep freeze will be quite an experience for her as she will not have witnessed anything like it before.

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, shaky said:

Ive got a terrible feeling about the 12z gfs right now!!i feel things are gona downgrade tonight!!if gfs gives a good run then that will rest my nerves!!that delay in cold is bugging me now!!good god dont put us through any more heartache gfs??

DMT-59.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, Seasonality said:

Sounds like he is barking, or a troll. Post screen caps of the convo for our amusement please :)

here is one

We're not talking a foot of snow here, we're talking 10ft of snow across much of mainland Britain, with drifting; and the polar vortex remaining into late April. This is a once in a lifetime event, COBRA needs convened asap, and grit needs stockpiling; homeless shelters set up

and another 

he wind-chill factor needs taking into account. It will feel Siberian and there's potential for even colder weather. Then there's snow. Any showers that fall will be snow and accumulating quickly. The country should take this seriously. COBRA should meet now, gov nd to prepare.

Dont get me wrong  there is the potential for some very cold weather   but  i think this is a tad hyperbole.  central europe  gets this quite often  and america earlier this winter had bone numbing temps.  guess we will have to see.

8 minutes ago, shaky said:

Ive got a terrible feeling about the 12z gfs right now!!i feel things are gona downgrade tonight!!if gfs gives a good run then that will rest my nerves!!that delay in cold is bugging me now!!good god dont put us through any more heartache gfs??

Pah, it's barely a delay! Don't gloss over the fact it evolves into another stunning run ending with a massive deep cold pool over most of Europe and reverse zonality with the jet shut down. :D

That being said, I am also nervous for the 12zs, both GFS and ECM. I don't want that little low over Finland to appear on the next ECM, for example. Worst case scenario now is for the cold to slip south (unlikely but not impossible)

Posted
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

here is one

We're not talking a foot of snow here, we're talking 10ft of snow across much of mainland Britain, with drifting; and the polar vortex remaining into late April. This is a once in a lifetime event, COBRA needs convened asap, and grit needs stockpiling; homeless shelters set up

and another 

he wind-chill factor needs taking into account. It will feel Siberian and there's potential for even colder weather. Then there's snow. Any showers that fall will be snow and accumulating quickly. The country should take this seriously. COBRA should meet now, gov nd to prepare.

Dont get me wrong  there is the potential for some very cold weather   but  i think this is a tad hyperbole.  central europe  gets this quite often  and america earlier this winter had bone numbing temps.  guess we will have to see.

Priceless, 10ft! Good point re: central Europe by the way, I've got some experience of Warsaw and the surrounding areas of Eastern Poland and the weather being forecast for the UK currently wouldn't even raise an eyebrow there. Happens most winters there at some point and even the cold over central europe next week isn't currently forecast to give anything record breaking just yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
16 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello fellow Chelmsfordian.

Don't whatever you do do not get @weirp started on Brexit.:pardon:

By the way Weirpig Jena sends her regards and we both trust you are well. :)The forthcoming deep freeze will be quite an experience for her as she will not have witnessed anything like it before.

Kind Regards

Dave

Hello there - is the 'claret' a wine preference or a football one? Looks like we may be in the firing line, here but we'll see.

Oh no, don't want to bring the carnage on here as well!

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

can i tell people it's coming, yet?

Whats the first rule of cold club?

Posted

Met Eireann  are still being overly cautious with next weeks freeze saying that detail is uncertain.     -Early days of Next Week: The details of further outlook remain uncertain and will be monitored for detail. At the moment it looks like it will be a cold regime for early days of next week with easterly winds, and frosty nights with sub zero temperatures. There is a risk of some wintry showers in some eastern and southern coastal counties and some may be of snow, but mainly dry elsewhere.

I just dont know what they are expecting

Edited by DOdo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Although we're probably the laughing stock of Europe watching us sliding around on a mere few inches of snow, I think what sets the UK apart is that we make neither personal nor infrastructural investment to deal with deep cold. We just don't experience enough to warrant it.

Similarly, we have the same with hot weather! It does make you appreciate the 'boring' climate we have here - means we spend less time dealing with and paying for relief from it.

Posted

i so nearly told my family to stock up on supplies as there is some really cold snowy weather on the way, but as i have this nagging doubt about this going wrong, watered down to a cpl of day chilly spell or even worse, i decided that its best not to say anything and anyone and just let the daily express ruin it for us, lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, sparky1972 said:

i so nearly told my family to stock up on supplies as there is some really cold snowy weather on the way, but as i have this nagging doubt about this going wrong, watered down to a cpl of day chilly spell or even worse, i decided that its best not to say anything and anyone and just let the daily express ruin it for us, lol

only way I reckon it could go wrong is milder from the north late next week, but even so beast from Sun to Wed/Thur

GFS op though, no sign of that!

• Like 1

Posted

OMG, i see theweatheroutlook.com use the GFS as their forecasting model and i have to say that is looking very chilly, but what staggers me more is on day 16 of the long range forecast it has max daytime temp of -6c, i know it wont happen but dont think i have seen that in a forecast before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

BBC weather forecast says dry and cold next week no mention of snow. 

Yet the met office says snow for my area in North Yorkshire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
5 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

BBC weather forecast says dry and cold next week no mention of snow. 

Yet the met office says snow for my area in North Yorkshire. 

Hi sawpaw - I remember you from metmonkey! 

Just goes to show the difference it makes now the been use MeteoGroup and not the metoffice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Great End Cumbria

Apparent attempt on SW Gully,

No Crampons

Casualty enjoying a bobsleigh ride with a sore knee.

Good effort.

imgID146455671.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.eea668607e78074556adb594623dd751.jpgimgID146455678.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.91136164cb02334194e5e5204840eeef.jpg

Looks slippy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Looks like we are now in the 'It's just one run' phase of model watching. I think I know where this is leading to..