Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
11 hours ago, Team Jo said:

fantastic charts this morning ALL going for an easterly wind and possibly getting even colder in fand exactly what the experts at the metoffice are saying ? especially for South and easterns parts of the country 

Edited by Lampostwatcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Met Office & BBC Weather still seem very bullish about the outcome being some sort of Easterly by the middle/end of next week.

It's a long time since we've heard words like "winds coming all the way from Russia and Siberia' in a weather forecast for the UK.

How it all pans-out in terms of deep cold and whether it will result in a significant snow event is still very much open to question.

But, surely this is our best chance of something decent in terms of cold & snow for the snow starved cold lovers in SE England.

I just wish it had happened 6 weeks ago when the sun was in a much weaker phase!

Just vacated the “classroom “ and this post is the most sensible I’ve read this morning.

Sometimes it’s best to stand back and look at the bigger picture. I think it’s obvious we are going to get colder, with winds expected to be from an Easterly quarter. Depending on Where the HP lands determines whether we are dry or otherwise. So in a nutshell , cold ( potentially becoming colder ). Dry initially but possibly snowy as time progresses with the SE this time being in the immediate firing line. 

With the Jetstream “ retiring” to Africa, at least we can escape the mild SW / Nw dross that’s been dished up down here over  the past few months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

If we do end up having a severe wintry spell then I hope those of us on here who  are not only weather enthusiasts but also animal lovers will be doing what they can to help their local wildlife out. 

I remember back in Dec 2010 walking round a friends house which took me past a large pond and the amount of ducks & swans that came rushing over because they were so desperate for food, certainly tugged at the heart strings I can tell you but I didn't have anything for them, brought a load of food the following day though and went back everyday afterwards until the cold spell ended.

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, Smartie said:

If we do end up having a severe wintry spell then I hope all of us on here who  are not only weather enthusiasts but also animal lovers will be doing what they can to help their local wildlife out. 

I remember back in Dec 2010 walking round a friends house which took me past a large pond and the amount of ducks & swans that came rushing over because they were so desperate for food, certainly tugged at the heart strings I can tell you but I didn't have anything for them, brought a load of food the following day though and went back everyday afterwards until the cold spell ended.

Will certainly be doing that, whatever the weather we end up having. I feed the birds all winter and through spring, it’s actually from late winter that they are most in need of extra food sources. Wilko’s sell big bags of bird seed for £1.50.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Will certainly be doing that, whatever the weather we end up having. I feed the birds all winter and through spring, it’s actually from late winter that they are most in need of extra food sources. Wilko’s sell big bags of bird seed for £1.50.

Same here, got feeders in the garden all year round, usually attract loads of goldfinches, sunflower hearts is the best  food you can use, plenty of birds like that stuff. If the severe cold does arrive I expect to see plenty of birds at the feeders. 

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 2

Posted

winter is coming no doubt about that according to the met office experts 

and it starts mid next week 

I joined this forum 8 years ago after jumping ship from the weatheroutlook 

as I found this place had more banter 

I've done alot of lamppst watching and radar over the years 

but I'm now starting to think this could be the snowfall I've been craving s8nce Feb 1991

Edited by Lampostwatcher
  • Like 1

Posted

Im still fully expecting it to go pear shaped and end up with another week like this one, which was promised to be bitterly cold with snow 2 weeks before lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nath said:

Im still fully expecting it to go pear shaped and end up with another week like this one, which was promised to be bitterly cold with snow 2 weeks before lol

big game for Bolton today

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Absolutely stunning charts for coldies...just around the corner once again...I can feel it drawing me in like Frodo and his ring, the lure, the tease... surely this time right? Must resist the models... let's hope this is the one but I'll restrain myself for now.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Smartie said:

If we do end up having a severe wintry spell then I hope those of us on here who  are not only weather enthusiasts but also animal lovers will be doing what they can to help their local wildlife out. 

Indeed. Birds really struggle in this sort of deep cold, so putting a bird feeder out for the coldest weeks would be something most of us can do fairly cheaply (the food lasts for ages). 

• Like 1

Posted

in all my 10 plus years in here I have never seen such a fantastic gfs run as the 6z, truly stunning to watch and sheer bliss, if your a cold fan.

if it came off anything like that, then I don,t think I could ever complain again about our crappy mild winters again

(well not much complaining haha)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
13 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Cant help but feel deflated that this isnt December or january.

Don’t, it’s how the journey begins with LIA circulation patterns.  Our time is coming....and in bundles.  Colder Springs with enough deep cold to have lying snow for decent periods.  Big winters are coming soon

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Don’t, it’s how the journey begins with LIA circulation patterns.  Our time is coming....and in bundles.  Colder Springs with enough deep cold to have lying snow for decent periods.  Big winters are coming soon

BFTP

I'm not so convinced, this is an outlying pattern developed by the SSW, there's very little reason to suppose that the coming winters are going to be anywhere near as deep. I remember in 2010 being told that "our time was coming" by fellow coldies and while recent winters have generally been better than the ones that preceded there still hasn't been the same sort of sustained cold and snow since those years. Yes we've had the odd winter blast and few severe snow events since but nothing in the same winter wonderland scale. 2010 as a whole was special for me as it was the first severe winters (snow lay on the ground for weeks on end barely melting, icicles on roofs 12--18 inches long etc) of my life time, and in my personal opinion they have been unmatched by anything since, despite repeatedly being told by the so called experts that the colder blasts signal a return to the harsh winters of many years ago that are reminisced about by the older generations, despite being told that the long hard snowy winters are making a comeback, I am still sat here at the end of January with a handful of minor snow events only one giving substantial snowfall (3 inches, borne out of a localised streamer and single passing large shower) for this winter. I've had just over 9 years of being told that "proper" winters will return and I'll start to see the true meaning of a cold winter" as of yet the winters have certainly better than the mild dross that preceded them but they often fall into the "not cold, not mild" segment or the "fairly warm for this time of year" segment. The charts have thrown up sign of deep cold after sign of deep cold for years on end with the occasional realisation. 

The reality many of us coldies simply have to face is that in the UK cold weather (as in below freezing maxima) is classed as an extreme weather, evident in how unprepared for it our government are whenever it happens, and a bit like a summer heatwave we simply can't expect it to happen consistently. If this next promised land materialises; and it certainly seems to be getting further into the reliable time-frame than many others; I'll make the most of it, but I happen not to share the delusion of many that modern version of the little ice age is just around the corner.  

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, James1979 said:

Absolutely stunning charts for coldies...just around the corner once again...I can feel it drawing me in like Frodo and his ring, the lure, the tease... surely this time right? Must resist the models... let's hope this is the one but I'll restrain myself for now.

too far in FI for my liking, beast was due to arrive 20th Feb, now GFS 25th, EC bit later, just hope it won't arrive on 31st Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

There’s no 31st February ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, DiagonalRedLine said:

There’s no 31st February ?

ya don't get it matey, it's a joke meaning, hope it will never happen, meaning the E'ly

• Like 1