Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

We already had the QTR which got put back , then now the next one imploded.

We don’t have weeks to sit around waiting for decent synoptics.

The longer this goes in the more exceptional the synoptics have to be to deliver. There’s only so much cold you can get with the fast increasing solar energy into March.

Now now, Nick. Far be it from me to ramp, but didn't the UK experience its coldest March for some 100 years in 2013? Sure I read that somewhere.

Quite true in one part. The longer time ticks, the more special the event needed.

Posted

the met office said it WILL get colder 

so that's means it will.???

not MAYBE or MIGHT 

or even COULD 

they said it WILL ?

Edited by Lampostwatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

If this SSW fails to bring any cold into the UK it will about sum up this winter...misfiring with some failed attempted near marginal shots and very little real cold on tap...I've only had 2 days where daily maxes have failed to get up above 3c, saya it all!!...YES I too can use exclamation marks as well (just like somebody on the model thread who seems to know it all) :)

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

the met office said it WILL get colder 

so that's means it will.???

not MAYBE or MIGHT 

or even COULD 

they said it WILL ?

Maybe because it might be Mild beforehand? and even if it gets 2 or 3 degrees colder then technically they're right.

Vague.

Posted

Let’s just ignore the met office update this afternoon then,

they would not put out such a bold update regarding cold and snow unless they were supremely confident at that range

They have access to far more info then we do

lots Of posters here going to have egg on their faces this time next week

including the so called experts and cold rampers writing off this cold spell happening now

:gathering::acute::cold:

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

they would not put out such a bold update regarding cold and snow unless they were supremely confident at that range

including the so called experts and cold rampers writing off this cold spell happening now

I'm afraid it wouldnt be the first time Exeter have gone 'cold' only to backtrack at a rate of knots.

I admire your fortitude sleety but i think this ship has sailed..(certainly as far as winter is concerned )..

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Indeed it is.  I am now looking at the long range CFS December 2018 charts (does it go out that far?).  Maybe, just maybe we might have a little lying snow then!

hopefully the SE will get a nice summer to make up for another mediocre winter :)

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Maybe because it might be Mild beforehand? and even if it gets 2 or 3 degrees colder then technically they're right.

Vague.

thing is I've never seen them write the word it WILL get colder 

before 

normally it's low confidence 

Posted
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Well now even their own models are showing things to the contrary, so...

Posted

No don’t give up northwest ,it’s still on the cold spell,the ops have been all over the place recently

This winter here so far rubbish

still no lying snow almost 5 years

two days of falling snow

that it

looking forward to the heavy snowfall to see out the winter season now yipee:cold:

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

hopefully the SE will get a nice summer to make up for another mediocre winter :)

believe me in the south east we haven't had a poorish summer since 2012...every summer we're guaranteed at least a very warm spell, you can't say that about cold with our winters though.

okay the weather will do what it will do but the weather gods have let us dwn. i feel so feflated its untrue. i have waited n waited n nothing. fed up of the charys promising so much just to let us dwn. the excitement n adrenaline rush that snowy potential gives us is too much when it lets us dwn to take!! dont think i will get as excited or positive again for next winter niw because we just seem to have such mild consistant winters now that its a waste of time. there are many pros on here tht have egg on there face im afraid after hyping this ssw up and the bbc forecasters too have dun themselves no favours but never accept that there wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Jeez, flipping heck, pants, got the hump. At least I had 4 days in Lapland and saw a foot of snow fall in 24hrs. 

Edited by That ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm afraid it wouldnt be the first time Exeter have gone 'cold' only to backtrack at a rate of knots.

I admire your fortitude sleety but i think this ship has sailed..(certainly as far as winter is concerned )..

Yep I would bet my house , car , savings and my dog that the METO have it wrong . There is no way all off the models we can see have got this wrong , obviously except for the ICON. That's me done for this winter. Just everyone remind me next year not to trust the ECM , UKMO, GFS, all ensemble data , the BBC , the met updates , all the lesser crapy models or any off the telecommunications it's all a load off ? When it comes to predicting cold weather for the uk . Rant over , see you all next year . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yep I would bet my house , car , savings and my dog that the METO have it wrong . There is no way all off the models we can see have got this wrong , obviously except for the ICON. That's me done for this winter. Just everyone remind me next year not to trust the ECM , UKMO, GFS, all ensemble data , the BBC , the met updates , all the lesser crapy models or any off the telecommunications it's all a load off ? When it comes to predicting cold weather for the uk . Rant over , see you all next year . 

agreed

Posted

The problem, as I see it, is not the accuracy of the models but people taking output at day 10 as gospel. It's called 'FI' for a reason - charts at that range almost never verify. Yet 90 per cent of the analysis on the MOD thread is of charts at extended range. No wonder people feel let down when the output changes. If people stuck to analysing charts within the 5-day timeframe there would be a lot less disappointment.

• Like 3

Posted

It hasn't been the best Winter either here in Derry/Londonderry in the north west so far. We got only one snow lying day in the whole of 2018, and that December cold spell was basically frozen hail. NW airstreams generally only deal with higher altitudes. Hey, its the first lying snow for 3 years so its not the worst.

This winter has been incredibly cruel, dangling a carrot then pulling it away. I feel for you coldies in the south as these easterlies are really your only chance.

Posted
2 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

It hasn't been the best Winter either here in Derry/Londonderry in the north west so far. We got only one snow lying day in the whole of 2018, and that December cold spell was basically frozen hail. NW airstreams generally only deal with higher altitudes. Hey, its the first lying snow for 3 years so its not the worst.

This winter has been incredibly cruel, dangling a carrot then pulling it away. I feel for you coldies in the south as these easterlies are really your only chance.

You're on the coast though aren't you? I'm inland low elevation and had most snow since 2010 this year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
10 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

The problem, as I see it, is not the accuracy of the models but people taking output at day 10 as gospel. It's called 'FI' for a reason - charts at that range almost never verify. Yet 90 per cent of the analysis on the MOD thread is of charts at extended range. No wonder people feel let down when the output changes. If people stuck to analysing charts within the 5-day timeframe there would be a lot less disappointment.

I sort of agree. But now you've got a UKMO inside 5 days that has flipped on its next run! Go figure 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

You're on the coast though aren't you? I'm inland low elevation and had most snow since 2010 this year. 

Nope, just 25 or so meters of elevation inland. We just get unlucky with the showers, and when we do they can just be sleet or hail.