Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

If you like coldweather dont look at gfs 00z!!

Absolutely dreadful.

Looking forward to seeing the yellows and oranges take over Greenland just in time for spring.

:crazy:

ECM op run looks better.

ECM op runs seems to be a lot less keen to build high pressure over the UK than GFS

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

ECM op run looks better.

ECM op runs seems to be a lot less keen to build high pressure over the UK than GFS

Yes its better Kev.But then again being better than GFS is hardly difficult this morning. :)

Posted

Actually not dissimilar to last evening's NOAA. The percentage play would be some influence from the Azores ridging but tending towards a N/S split.

610day_03.thumb.gif.f8a6e75dba77f29e07d062e0ce4e5446.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.b4a82cfe273401be6a74f53e58f7c821.gif

Good for the early dafs with nothing skulking in the woodshed

daffodils-b0fwm3.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

So we are now into the coldest period of the winter (roughly 20th Jan - 10th Feb), and as if by complete irony, we're potentially looking at 12C by Tuesday! If we're going to squeeze out a decent cold spell this winter I'd really want it before mid Feb. Models not looking too promising has to be said.

Boy I miss last January!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Heavy and settling snow here (albeit a bit slushy). Second time that’s happened this winter here, so it’s already a better winter than many previous ones. Might be a positive sign for the next few winters to come? Definitely a lack of prolonged, very mild SW’ly winds this winter. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Heavy and settling snow here (albeit a bit slushy). Second time that’s happened this winter here, so it’s already a better winter than many previous ones. Might be a positive sign for the next few winters to come? Definitely a lack of prolonged, very mild SW’ly winds this winter. 

Make the most of it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Enjoy the snow! You southerners have nicked mine this time...it's usually those pesky Scots do that!:angry:

• Like 1

Posted

Well, this will be the sixth time we've had falling and settling snow here this winter so far (albeit, 4 were dustings) so it's been great! It's a very interesting winter here so far, I've got a good feeling about February too. And even if it's rubbish, I'm sure most parts of the Midlands would be happy with the winter as a whole :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

any feasible way that the cold now will  not move and let the warm in? i heard it in the past that cold air can be stubbon to move out.  and sometimes not forcastable. 

or is the Ba**+&d Atlantic inevitable? 

Posted
16 minutes ago, TyphoonNow said:

any feasible way that the cold now will  not move and let the warm in? i heard it in the past that cold air can be stubbon to move out.  and sometimes not forcastable. 

or is the Ba**+&d Atlantic inevitable? 

Afraid it's inevitable today. It can happen but not often.

Posted

well hopefully we'll see some decent snowy weather for everyone before winter is out. many have seen some good snowy spells so far and most of the moaning has come from those of us who have seen little or none (like myself) up to now. in fact, the UK as a whole has seen more snow this winter than the last 5 years. 

whatever happens, there is a little crumb of comfort- i'm sure we all remember the winters of 2009 and 2010. these came during the last solar minimum which reached its low point in 2009. this is no coincidence, as it is well documented that we experience colder winters in periods of low solar output. during extended minimums or 'grand minimum', like the Maunder and Dalton minimums, temperatures can be dramatically lower. during the above two, we experienced the Little Ice Age and frost fairs on the frozen Thames respectively.

this year, solar activity has dropped dramatically and it is predicted we could be heading for another 'grand minimum'. the next minimum is due in 2020 and we are currently at 2008 levels of sunspots-

http://www.sidc.be/silso/dayssnplot

thats a year ahead of expected low levels! so far this year, we've had 7 spotless days, broken up by a few tiny sunspots. we could actually hit minimum a full 2 years ahead of schedule!

so, whilst this winter might eventually fail to deliver, don't be too despondent. i think we have some exciting times ahead. (if you like cold weather!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

As I said in my previous post, it has come down to regions and even counties. I've had 24 double-digit days so far this Winter, and not made it below zero in January. My own stats show a different story - worse than last Winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
53 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

As I said in my previous post, it has come down to regions and even counties. I've had 24 double-digit days so far this Winter, and not made it below zero in January. My own stats show a different story - worse than last Winter.

Seems to be an unusual situation? A big difference between my area and yours, we’re only 80 or so miles apart. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Seems to be an unusual situation? A big difference between my area and yours, we’re only 80 or so miles apart. 

Yep! I expect there's big differences at a smaller distance than that.

Make that 25 days of double-digit maximums! I've just hit 10.2°C :laugh:

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Think I’ve only had a week of double digit maximums all winter so far. How odd. Like today, you’ve gone over 10C and here it’s barely scraping 5C.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Looking at this map of temperatures in the Netherlands (virtually all flat and only 150km west to east)  can be interesting, sometimes there can be 15 degrees difference with isotemperature lines running just a few kilometers apart. Though today shows a pretty boring picture  (and in the northern states of the US temperature differences can be even more extrame)

https://www.weerplaza.nl/actueel/

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
18 hours ago, James M said:

Yes after the high pressure moves over us, it sinks south over Europe. If that happens I think I might hibernate! Of course we’d probably get a cold spring again lol.

Last spring was very nice actually. We even had some of those big diurnal range days, including one day in April where the low temperature was 0C and the high temperature was 21C. I'd take a repeat quite happily.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

What will be will be as far as the weather is concerned. Sure there’ll be some more eye candy charts before the winter is out I’m sure.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

There is always eye candy to be drooled over if you need a lift.  Take the CFSv2 in deep, dark FI (well, only mid February actually).....

image.thumb.png.0bceb6efc925123e9fc58443a5d6160a.png . image.thumb.png.4e2c2dcc78d46da8f9737a761fc52b79.png

What a pity that this is truly a fantasy and will never verify.

Or will it.... ?