Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
2 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

Yes my locations forcast from the BBC says heavy snow all day Tuesday. 

IMG_0698.PNG

Posted

Cheers,

N/W normally updates by about 20 mins after the GFS is complete

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
17 minutes ago, dallas said:

Cheers,

N/W normally updates by about 20 mins after the GFS is complete

I still expect a lot of change. Unless I get lucky and all the bands of showers link together and continue rolling in over head. I don't think I'll get what that update shows.Lol. Although it has happened before with a chain of showers but that was from easterlies maybe 2010.

Posted

The strong stormy winds could bring anything! Hopefully you will lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

same with me, winters now stink, prefer summer, roll on summer, Frosty's great posts in model thread liven it up, even if not sunny

Its time we gathered up al the tug boats in the uk and attach them to the northern coast of scotland and trail the uk some 500 miles north for winter then trail them back 1000 miles se for the summer thats the only way we will see some proper weather for summer and winter :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Atlantic bore-fest coming up over the next few weeks I fancy or should I say not fancy...this winter is becoming tedious already.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
22 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Atlantic bore-fest coming up over the next few weeks I fancy or should I say not fancy...this winter is becoming tedious already.

This day hardly ever snows, my Nan's b'day, of course day she was born was cold, rare these days for January

archives-1925-1-25-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

It does make me wonder whether in previous years, all other things being equal, we would have seen a notable event develop this winter. 

As things stand, we may just be in a normal mild sequence of winters, but you would have to say if this pattern continues for another few years, it's a potential signal that cold weather is becoming rarer for the UK.

I'm more an extreme weather enthusiast than a cold weather fan, but honestly can't remember a five-year period with a handful of frosts and a transient snowfall, although my memory may be failing me. 

For those wanting a 'classic' cold spell to develop, something really needs to start appearing soon. After allowing time for the pattern to change following the clearance of this storm, we'll be approaching the back end of January, with probably 2-3 weeks max before the sun starts to gain strength.

Edited by Number 23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

And I thought the forecast for this winter was supposed to be generally colder with more snow events?  Just shows how much weather forecasting is a guessing game.  I think I could have forecasted another dross windy winter with rain.  Don't need multi million pound computers to know what the British winter is going to be like.  Must be the worst weather in the world.

Posted
55 minutes ago, snow freak said:

And I thought the forecast for this winter was supposed to be generally colder with more snow events?  Just shows how much weather forecasting is a guessing game.  I think I could have forecasted another dross windy winter with rain.  Don't need multi million pound computers to know what the British winter is going to be like.  Must be the worst weather in the world.

But, with one of the lowest fatality rates from severe weather events!

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I've certainly seen less inspiring late January D9 Charts..

gfsnh-0-216.png?6

I'd like to say we're having an amazing winter full of ups and downs and not just downs either. Loving this winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
56 minutes ago, BranMan said:

I'd like to say we're having an amazing winter full of ups and downs and not just downs either. Loving this winter. 

Far more downs than ups sorry matey but gfs and other models are showing us the Good then snatching em away time after time 

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Keep the faith peeps, always remember the trend is your friend

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_57.thumb.png.dcdf9a14fe10bb9b6529e2538971f615.png

Sidney thinking about his nuts the other morning

sid.thumb.jpg.9d84145ca5820d370bfb540134c3d0b4.jpg

He looks like he ate more than enough already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Chivenor still at 9c

Cold... my backside !!

At this rate, sleet is probably the best on offer, for the Moors

Winds never make round to the NW down here, just West, backing South-West for Wed night's storm

That wind direction is bad... for the white stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
3 hours ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

Europe's largest New rollercoaster covering most of great Britain opens this month...all aboard the moddler...predict the next turn if you dare! 

Hair pulling fun for all (but it's what we are all here for!)

Well apparently theres absolutely  anything of value to predict. Why? Because as one particular poster tells us on a weeky (sorry  daily.....no hold on i mean hourly basis) that we are just a small island surrounded by water, so therefore  we cant have " any weather!". The things i learn on the mod thread are truley  amazing. Wouldnt surprise  me if next he told me the world was round, not flat!!!! 

Posted

The long trailed brutal cold spell has finally arrived and set in here with a vengeance this morning. Currently 6c at 8am. I'll need to pack the emergency cold weather gear when I go out this morning. The wind chill must be brutal.

I might build a 'potential snow' man later today. Even better this mornings ECM run means that further opportunities to enjoy the 'potential' snow await.

Could life get any better :)

• Like 2

Posted

Haven't posted the anomalies for a while so a quick perusal of the this morning's GEFs, EPS and last night's NOAA.

They are more or less in the same ball park with, upstream, the main vortex lobe Siberia, Aleutian ridging across the Pole linking to the east European ridge doing the same. The secondary lobe over N. Canada is quite diffuse and no significant amplification across N. America thus pretty a flat flow across the same. This, aligned to a rough running south east from the lobe into the NW Atlantic, results in a strong westerly upper flow across the Atlantic towards the UK. But over central Europe we have a trough running south down as far as the Middle East and this, working in conjunction with aforementioned east European ridge, serves to abate and split the upper flow in the eastern Atlantic thus slowing the east bound movement of systems initially driven by the energy emitted from the eastern seaboard. Thus the percentage play is still unsettled with temps probably a  little below average but the surface analysis may be a little complicated and,  as usual, something the det. runs will need to sort.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.0977928f120fe78324221ae58490f1cf.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.267267a30a2a221575ff0f89e502c40d.png610day_03.thumb.gif.1fc2f875b86e455a4c5770d919c2b5ba.gif

In the later period although there are no significant changes apparent upstream, downstream there is. It involves the orientation and intensity of the Atlantic trough and the weakening of the European trough and subsequent increasing influence of the Azores high pressure and perhaps pressure rises to the east. A case of watch this space at the moment.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.291a1f5e2fceeba341b3ac55c9df6cfa.png814day_03.thumb.gif.20e50e7b86b53b02a8a87e5fa2fd4b05.gif

Edited by knocker

Posted

What a lovely day it has been here in Huntingdonshire, sunny, cool, but a little breezy, thoroughly enjoyed a long walk.

Posted

Latest Meto musings paint a picture of 'as you were' for next few weeks. Cool, wettish...and not a lot else.

This Winter is already shaping up to be one of "plain old average" (imby).

Move on please, nothing to see here.

Hoping for an early warm Spring to arrive before Winter's 'official' end.

• Like 1