Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

just a one off month though really in the last 20 years, Everyone knows winters are on average warmer than they were in 80's and 90's

don't need to be an expert to realise, everybody I know says the same, snow used to be metres deep, just wanna know what's caused it

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Countryfile is just depressing me further.... what’s all that white stuff :cray:

Whats all that white stuff or where is all the white stuff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Countryfile is just depressing me further.... what’s all that white stuff :cray:

Is it Prozac for the Mod thread after seeing today's charts. :drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
6 minutes ago, shaky said:

Whats all that white stuff or where is all the white stuff?

Its the fluff offered by the bbc and met office. That's what our tax buys mate.

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just a one off month though really in the last 20 years, Everyone knows winters are on average warmer than they were in 80's and 90's

don't need to be an expert to realise, everybody I know says the same, snow used to be metres deep, just wanna know what's caused it

sunspot activity? 

Posted

The thing is  and it’s been mentioned before ,we still get decent northern blocking and winds from the arctic but hardly ever in the winter months but still quite common in any other season

look at March 2013 for example.

but what is stopping it happening during the winter months.no one can seem to answer it .

l

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

There were only a couple of remarkable Winters in the 90s though and one of them wasn't too spectacular. 1990/91 was the only really great one for delivering huge dumplings of snow, and though 1995/96 was pretty cold I remember it far more for the cold itself rather than any snow which I remember we had some but never particularly deep (I'm pretty confident we got deeper snow in Dec 2017 than in Winter 1995/96) and nothing that lasted any more than a couple of days. Nov 96 stands out but that lasted no more than 24 hours either. There would of course been the odd event here and there but only transient and growing up in that decade long lasting snow seemed alien to me (my memories of Feb 91 are very vague and I didn't realise it lasted for more than a couple of days until I learnt more about it years later). Another thing I felt growing up at the time as well was that you could expect some snow every Winter but usually no more than once or twice. I can appreciate how things would have been different in different parts of the country but you live in the same region as me so I can only imagine conditions would often have been mostly similar. This is why I think you look at that decade with rose tinted specs. And the fact we've had 3 long lasting snowy spells earlier this decade and the 90s only had 1, as well as a sub zero CET month the 2010s already beats the 1990s for Wintriness by a bit. But the truth is all decades are a pretty mixed bag with most having both mild and cold Winters as well as more average ones.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

The thing is  and it’s been mentioned before ,we still get decent northern blocking and winds from the arctic but hardly ever in the winter months but still quite common in any other season

look at March 2013 for example.

but what is stopping it happening during the winter months.no one can seem to answer it .

l

I think it maybe to do with pressure to the south of the Uk being stronger in recent winter years maybe because of a warmer world less cold arctic. Just a theory as they all are

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

I think it maybe to do with pressure to the south of the Uk being stronger in recent winter years maybe because of a warmer world less cold arctic. Just a theory as they all are

just seems a stronger jet as well, seems to flatten out to our north too easy now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
58 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Climate change!! - but climate change happens and has throughout this earths existence, its just that its been at its steepest during mine and your existence - just unlucky that its interfered with our tonkings in winter!!!

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

There were only a couple of remarkable Winters in the 90s though and one of them wasn't too spectacular. 1990/91 was the only really great one for delivering huge dumplings of snow, and though 1995/96 was pretty cold I remember it far more for the cold itself rather than any snow which I remember we had some but never particularly deep (I'm pretty confident we got deeper snow in Dec 2017 than in Winter 1995/96) and nothing that lasted any more than a couple of days. Nov 96 stands out but that lasted no more than 24 hours either. There would of course been the odd event here and there but only transient and growing up in that decade long lasting snow seemed alien to me (my memories of Feb 91 are very vague and I didn't realise it lasted for more than a couple of days until I learnt more about it years later). Another thing I felt growing up at the time as well was that you could expect some snow every Winter but usually no more than once or twice. I can appreciate how things would have been different in different parts of the country but you live in the same region as me so I can only imagine conditions would often have been mostly similar. This is why I think you look at that decade with rose tinted specs. And the fact we've had 3 long lasting snowy spells earlier this decade and the 90s only had 1, as well as a sub zero CET month the 2010s already beats the 1990s for Wintriness by a bit. But the truth is all decades are a pretty mixed bag with most having both mild and cold Winters as well as more average ones.

90's were snowier than 2000+ here, I know I've lived here! cannot remember 80's, but can imagine them even snowier

Posted
14 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just seems a stronger jet as well, seems to flatten out to our north too easy now

Probably agree there. I remember reading a while back summers have become wetter because of jet stream branching off easier now so can effect the Uks due to the position of Greenland. So winter probably affected with the shifting jet stream patterns too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2012/08

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

90's were snowier than 2000+ here, I know I've lived here! cannot remember 80's, but can imagine them even snowier

Let's think about this shall we. Winter 1990/91 came on the back of 3 very mild and practically snowless Winters. It was followed by another practically snowless (though cold) Winter in 1991/92. 1992/93 isn't very memorable either, though 1993/94 was better (there was some snow in Nov and Feb I believe). 1994/95 doesn't stand out either then that leads us on to 1995/96 and 1996/97. Perhaps somehow you had a lot more snow that Winter than I did here, but in truth I think Winter 2008/09 was better here for lasting snow cover. 1996/97 soon turned mild after early January and after that it was mild Winters all the way until 2000/01. 

I might grant you the early and mid 90s were better than the early and mid 00s as well as the mid to late 10s thus far. But there's no way they were better than the late 00s and early 10s. And that's the point periods of milder and colder Winters come in waves. Even the late 70s to mid 80s period of colder Winters came on the back of an extended run of mild and snowless Winters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Let's think about this shall we. Winter 1990/91 came on the back of 3 very mild and practically snowless Winters. It was followed by another practically snowless (though cold) Winter in 1991/92. 1992/93 isn't very memorable either, though 1993/94 was better (there was some snow in Nov and Feb I believe). 1994/95 doesn't stand out either then that leads us on to 1995/96 and 1996/97. Perhaps somehow you had a lot more snow that Winter than I did here, but in truth I think Winter 2008/09 was better here for lasting snow cover. 1996/97 soon turned mild after early January and after that it was mild Winters all the way until 2000/01. 

I might grant you the early and mid 90s were better than the early and mid 00s as well as the mid to late 10s thus far. But there's no way they were better than the late 00s and early 10s. And that's the point periods of milder and colder Winters come in waves. Even the late 70s to mid 80s period of colder Winters came on the back of an extended run of mild and snowless Winters.

At last a sensible post from someone who doesn't look back with rose tinted glasses at winters gone by.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Sorry to be OT but could not resist this little joke. 

Just noticed the "Site Annoyances and Bugs" section. I am afraid I have a complaint - the weather maps keep showing this anomalous thing called an area of high pressure which always seems to sit over the Azores and has been particularly prevalent in the last three years, coinciding with the three worst years of rubbish weather I have ever experienced in my life and while living in Guildford. There must be a connection. 

If this 'bug' could be removed, then perhaps we could go back to the pre-2015 proper weather where thunderstorms are not deflected eastwards all the time in the summer, missing the Guildford area, and perhaps there could be something other than zonal dross and missing out on the snow in winter.

BTW, winter 2017 / 2018 is the most frustrating, disappointing and unpleasant winter it has been my misfortune to experience. Even 1983 /1984 had more to offer than this crap-fest winter of weeks of coldish zonal misery, chilly damp dross and just enough rain to be a nuisance and stop outdoor activities (cycling) but not provide interest. Missing out on other hobbies like cycling would not be so bad if there was a decent quantity of snow and not just cold rain which subsequently freezes to sheet ice when the sky clears after the latest let-down, when southern areas miss the snow yet again, as in December. 'Disruption' (railways) would be better tolerated if it was due to an INTERESTING event like snow WHERE I LIVE and not yet more wind and trees down on the line (caused by other area's snow as in December).  

Definitely not looking forward to this coming week. More wind, more rain in small amounts, more missing out on snow, more cancelled bike rides just when I have time off work to actually get out for a change. More frustration, more disappointment, more discomfort and more missing out on other hobbies that should be there to temper the meteorological inadequacies. Can't wait for this pathetic attempt a winter to end and good riddance come the spring. 

Last measurable snow depth in Guildford was 1 cm on 12th January 2017. Last depth >5 cm lasting more than one day was in January 2013 (coming up for 5 years).
Last time hail was observed in Guildford was on 26th April 2017. 9 months could be the longest gap between a hail event ever recorded.
Last time thunder was heard in Guildford was on 22nd August 2017. Only 10 days of thunder heard in 2017, none of these were prolonged or noteworthy storms. Last decent thunderstorm was on 15th/16th September 2016 which I missed while away on holiday in Cornwall where there was just wind and drizzle.
Last time there was decent sunny & dry weather on holiday in Cornwall was in September 2015. 

Sorry to rant, but the centre of our problems down south is the 'Azores High' and its general morphology and behaviour. I think this Is this down to water salinity affecting the oceanic temperature distribution and positioning of high pressure bands governing the position of the jet stream and movement of depressions. In turn the movement of these depressions result in synoptic situations that never favour the S.E. for 'interesting' events. Heard one disturbing report that this pattern could be present for many years which would result in 'perpetual westerlies'. Furthermore, this westerly problem seems to accentuate the cloudiness and uncomfortable high humidity, without thunderstorms that are suffered every summer these days. Think I want to emigrate if this 'perpetual westerly' misery is a possibility as I certainly cannot put up with another vile winter like this one. 

40 minutes ago, Severe Blizzard said:

Sorry to be OT but could not resist this little joke. 

Just noticed the "Site Annoyances and Bugs" section. I am afraid I have a complaint - the weather maps keep showing this anomalous thing called an area of high pressure which always seems to sit over the Azores and has been particularly prevalent in the last three years, coinciding with the three worst years of rubbish weather I have ever experienced in my life and while living in Guildford. There must be a connection. 

If this 'bug' could be removed, then perhaps we could go back to the pre-2015 proper weather where thunderstorms are not deflected eastwards all the time in the summer, missing the Guildford area, and perhaps there could be something other than zonal dross and missing out on the snow in winter.

BTW, winter 2017 / 2018 is the most frustrating, disappointing and unpleasant winter it has been my misfortune to experience. Even 1983 /1984 had more to offer than this crap-fest winter of weeks of coldish zonal misery, chilly damp dross and just enough rain to be a nuisance and stop outdoor activities (cycling) but not provide interest. Missing out on other hobbies like cycling would not be so bad if there was a decent quantity of snow and not just cold rain which subsequently freezes to sheet ice when the sky clears after the latest let-down, when southern areas miss the snow yet again, as in December. 'Disruption' (railways) would be better tolerated if it was due to an INTERESTING event like snow WHERE I LIVE and not yet more wind and trees down on the line (caused by other area's snow as in December).  

Definitely not looking forward to this coming week. More wind, more rain in small amounts, more missing out on snow, more cancelled bike rides just when I have time off work to actually get out for a change. More frustration, more disappointment, more discomfort and more missing out on other hobbies that should be there to temper the meteorological inadequacies. Can't wait for this pathetic attempt a winter to end and good riddance come the spring. 

Last measurable snow depth in Guildford was 1 cm on 12th January 2017. Last depth >5 cm lasting more than one day was in January 2013 (coming up for 5 years).
Last time hail was observed in Guildford was on 26th April 2017. 9 months could be the longest gap between a hail event ever recorded.
Last time thunder was heard in Guildford was on 22nd August 2017. Only 10 days of thunder heard in 2017, none of these were prolonged or noteworthy storms. Last decent thunderstorm was on 15th/16th September 2016 which I missed while away on holiday in Cornwall where there was just wind and drizzle.
Last time there was decent sunny & dry weather on holiday in Cornwall was in September 2015. 

Sorry to rant, but the centre of our problems down south is the 'Azores High' and its general morphology and behaviour. I think this Is this down to water salinity affecting the oceanic temperature distribution and positioning of high pressure bands governing the position of the jet stream and movement of depressions. In turn the movement of these depressions result in synoptic situations that never favour the S.E. for 'interesting' events. Heard one disturbing report that this pattern could be present for many years which would result in 'perpetual westerlies'. Furthermore, this westerly problem seems to accentuate the cloudiness and uncomfortable high humidity, without thunderstorms that are suffered every summer these days. Think I want to emigrate if this 'perpetual westerly' misery is a possibility as I certainly cannot put up with another vile winter like this one. 

I couldn't agree any more ....im an avid runner (out 6 days a week) and this winter has been utterly shocking here in brighton.

Cold wet and windy (again).

Seems that theres been only a handfull of sunshine days since autumn and the wind is just endless.

Roll on summer.

Tbh  i used to enjoy winters but im fast thinking i might become a summer fan instead.

Winters in the UK stink

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason Edwards said:

I couldn't agree any more ....im an avid runner (out 6 days a week) and this winter has been utterly shocking here in brighton.

Cold wet and windy (again).

Seems that theres been only a handfull of sunshine days since autumn and the wind is just endless.

Roll on summer.

Tbh  i used to enjoy winters but im fast thinking i might become a summer fan instead.

Winters in the UK stink

same with me, winters now stink, prefer summer, roll on summer, Frosty's great posts in model thread liven it up, even if not sunny

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

same with me, winters now stink, prefer summer, roll on summer, Frosty's great posts in model thread liven it up, even if not sunny

Summer fan in the UK? Now that is funny :rofl:

Posted
30 minutes ago, Weather Wonder said:

North west Scotland Jackpot plus free drinks and the buffet....

You enjoy your Huge amount of snow this winter @More Snow And we shall enjoy our warm spring and hot summers while you are all deluged with rain ' winds and grey sky' Oh and the odd look at the temp being above 17c or kicking it to 19c . when we are bathing down here in 28c /31c ' Not being nasty , just stating a fact that we do better down here for at least 6 months while you Northerners get a Crap Spring and Summer .:D:D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
2 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

You enjoy your Huge amount of snow this winter @More Snow And we shall enjoy our warm spring and hot summers while you are all deluged with rain ' winds and grey sky' Oh and the odd look at the temp being above 17c or kicking it to 19c . when we are bathing down here in 28c /31c ' Not being nasty , just stating a fact that we do better down here for at least 6 months while you Northerners get a Crap Spring and Summer .:D:D:D

Then you have us Folk slap bang in the middle of the UK who doesn't have a clue what we are going to get.?

Posted
10 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

Then you have us Folk slap bang in the middle of the UK who doesn't have a clue what we are going to get.?

Oooop's Forgive me as you Area also is never mentioned in here along with Others ' Should be called the English banter ramp shall we get Snow thread . As you know there is never any mention of Wales / Ireland /and your Middle part of the UK .

Anyhow ' some changes on the way ... Cold is the way forward to all of Britania .

• Like 3

Posted

Anybody else's local forecast not updating?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
7 minutes ago, dallas said:

Anybody else's local forecast not updating?

Yes my locations forcast from the BBC says heavy snow all day Tuesday.