Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

This evening's ecm has the eastern seaboard low as an open wave depression, 998mb at 30W at T96, sustaining explosive cyclogenesis over the next 24 hours to be 964mb in the North Sea by T120.as it tracks rapidly east on a 100kt plus 500mb jet. If on the next run the interaction with the jet and the cyclogenesis is treated differently, which is always a possibility, then the result could be very different.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_5.thumb.png.cfe32825993d208029d530cd2942d97f.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_6.thumb.png.bcfdb09baf2b4eda2139a05188b6dc15.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The 1995 March one was good, - in Birmingham about 5 inches fell which lasted a while because of a pretty protracted cold spell afterwards - also the Jan 1995 one didn't do anything for me but I distinctly remember on the news hearing that in Leeds 3 inches fell in 20 minutes - that must have been quite spectacular, you mustn't have been able to see anything apart from white in front of your face.

Yes the January 95 one was unreal here in Leeds. Heavy persistent rain up till about 5pm which then turned to snow. Within 10 minutes it was a whiteover. 3 hours later and something like 40cm!!! It's one that stands out for me above any other.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

shame most in the bleedin' 90's, we all know how snowy they were

90's were nowhere near as bad as the naughties overall but equally nowhere near as good as the eighties.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

90's were nowhere near as bad as the naughties overall but equally nowhere near as good as the eighties.

Agree 80's were better, but 90's snowy here too

• Like 1

I have been following this forum for many years as a weather novice, but have learnt so much from it. I recognise names from the defunct bbc snow watch and have appreciated all the posts from the knowledgeable people on here that here that give their time and effort into providing weather predictions and forecasts. Thankless task as you will always get someone disagreeing with you. Fair play to you all and keep at it as this is the most fascinating and addictive forum on the internet. Well done Netweather and well done all you amateur (and some professional) forecasters. Keep it up. Que Sera Sera.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mucka said:

The ensembles are garbage as well.

All deepening the low and taking it North for rain and gales - not sure why people prefer that to heavy snow but each to their own.

And for good measure the Atlantic ridge is disappeared quickly in this set.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better, especially as far as possible blocking later.

With regards to a potential notable cold spell, I sincerely hope that we have not been lead up the garden path yet again. 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Right a not so good morning. Apart from ICON it’s quite notably more S compared to 18z if I can recall all rolled out so far take the runner more north even UKMO. The threat of severe damaging gales is increasing across inland areas.

bbc overnight have it going south, but lets see later today if that's updated further north

Posted
11 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Januaries of the 1990s were poor.

The first decent wintry spell during January in the 1990s wasn't until the second half of 1996. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
10 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Come on 6z we want the cold now :D

I think its a big ask now Dennis tbh looking at the nhp to the wnw but thinks can change for the better.Well unless you live in the uk!!!:nonono:

Edited by swfc
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Bring on summer! At least if you get a downgrade during a hot spell it means only 26c instead of 30c! Hardly a disaster. 

The problem with snow is it is always so marginal in this country. 

Warmth and light are beginning to appeal now.

• Like 4

Posted

But it’s going to be the most potent NW’ly in years! *Rolls eyes*. Really don’t know how some are seeing it as such, even though many areas should see some wintriness.

Mid week looks utterly vile, with strong winds and heavy rain. I despise mild winter weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Be surprised if i any snowfall from this, may get a sleet shower on wednesday, but that's that i'm afraid, going by the local bbc forecast, which has been quite accurate.

Posted
5 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Be surprised if i any snowfall from this, may get a sleet shower on wednesday, but that's that i'm afraid, going by the local bbc forecast, which has been quite accurate.

If I was in your location I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t see any! Proper cold zonal flow. Never mind beeb.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

If I was in your location I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t see any! Proper cold zonal flow. Never mind beeb.

Sorry did i say wednesday, should of said tuesday daytime to wednesday, but just looking out of the window to lamppost watching for 36hrs, would be better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I don't get what all the pessimism is about...

From BBC:

Met Office Warnings Issued For:Glasgow

1. Yellow warning of snow

1800 on Mon 15 January
    To:
    1100 on Wed 17 January
    Updated 42 minutes ago

Frequent and heavy hail and snow showers are likely to affect many parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland from Monday evening, continuing for much of the day on Tuesday. 

Travel delays on roads are possible, with a small chance of cancellations to public transport. There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected. In addition some roads and pavements may become icy, increasing the chance of injuries from slips and falls.This warning has been updated to extend its validity time into Wednesday.

2. Yellow warning of ice

1800 on Mon 15 January
    To:
    1100 on Wed 17 January
    Updated 42 minutes ago

Frequent and heavy hail and snow showers are likely to affect many parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland from Monday evening, continuing for much of the day on Tuesday. 

Travel delays on roads are possible, with a small chance of cancellations to public transport. There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected. In addition some roads and pavements may become icy, increasing the chance of injuries from slips and falls.This warning has been updated to extend its validity time into Wednesday.

• Like 2