Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

typical of the christmas pudding though Stuie, PM flows do not deliver to low levels in the south anymore

I know but that`s not the point, it`s almost a real cop out of a forecast when someone hasn`t a scooby......

Nw flow, Northerly flow.... well yes it will be cold but mainly hill snow.... THAT. Just drop in the hill snow and you become Michael Fish... arrgh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

17° forecast for New York :yahoo:

but assuming not long before normality resumes with the bleedin' snaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I have had my fill of experts telling me what elevation I need for a polar westerly on the MOD thread.

I have experienced enough to know what to expect.It looks unstable with disturbances and thunder to boot.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I have had my fill of experts telling me what elevation I need for a polar westerly on the MOD thread.

I have experienced enough to know what to expect.It looks unstable with disturbances and thunder to boot.

Swap locations if you like

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Swap locations if you like

I would have done before Christmas:D

• Like 1

Posted

I take great pleasure in reading the historical Met Office monthly reports on their site, really interesting.

What you see there is that all through the last century there were lengthy periods when there were no noteworthy snow events( especially down here) and on numerous occasions a mild wet month can be followed by a cold snowy one.

If extremely cold snowy winters were so common in the past then how come we just hear about 1947/1963/1979.I ll leave out 2010 as it was a one week wonder here!

Truth is,they wer'nt that common at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

You were not wearing balaclava in those temps ,why ever not,then no frostbite.

sounds mild -38c windchill compared to the -90c windchill on mount Washington recently:acute:

hats or balaclava dont cut it at -38c should have been wearing ear muffs..having minor frostbite or frostnip is akin to having sunburn..it feels exactly same

Posted
1 hour ago, SW1988 said:

I take great pleasure in reading the historical Met Office monthly reports on their site, really interesting.

What you see there is that all through the last century there were lengthy periods when there were no noteworthy snow events( especially down here) and on numerous occasions a mild wet month can be followed by a cold snowy one.

If extremely cold snowy winters were so common in the past then how come we just hear about 1947/1963/1979.I ll leave out 2010 as it was a one week wonder here!

http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather/bonacina.html

Here's a link you might find interesting if you haven't seen it before on this forum. I'd question the grading of some of the Winters, but it is for the the whole UK and gives the dates and locations for some of the events. It also includes any events in the Autumn preceding as well as the Spring succeeding each Winter in the Winters overall grading. Anyway enjoy.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, SW1988 said:

To a degree that's true, but I think you can have average months (as you say) that mask snowy spells or snaps and in my view they did occur somewhat more frequently in the past  than what we've experienced say over the last 17/18 years. Considering the size of this tiny Isle it still amazes me the localisation of snowy spells in some parts compared to others..

Posted

The ecm this morning has an intense little depression that has formed in the southern quadrant of the main trough to the west 968mb north Irish sea at T132. This could bring heavy rain and gales as it crosses the country in the next 12 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I'm still not convinced that this is going to be anything other than wet for the majority, but it is fascinating to witness the complete evacuation of the Canadian lobe of the the PV:

gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Posted
27 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I'm still not convinced that this is going to be anything other than wet for the majority, but it is fascinating to witness the complete evacuation of the Canadian lobe of the the PV:

gfsnh-0-168.png?6

1000km more to the south and in 40 years time many Netweather users would use 18 in their handle but now I think it will just bring hail, freezing rain and sleet ?

Posted
13 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Here's a link you might find interesting if you haven't seen it before on this forum. I'd question the grading of some of the Winters, but it is for the the whole UK and gives the dates and locations for some of the events. It also includes any events in the Autumn preceding as well as the Spring succeeding each Winter in the Winters overall grading. Anyway enjoy.

Cheers for that chart, an enjoyable read.

One things for sure, the myth of the winters of 80's and 90's doesn't seem to show itself. It would be a guarantee that if NW, models and good internet were around the same people would still be running round shouting "Wheres my snow","Another failed Easterly", "The winters of the 60's and 70's were so much better" etc.

Posted
13 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Cheers for that mate,will be good reading that in detail later. B-)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Chris101 said:

Cheers for that chart, an enjoyable read.

One things for sure, the myth of the winters of 80's and 90's doesn't seem to show itself. It would be a guarantee that if NW, models and good internet were around the same people would still be running round shouting "Wheres my snow","Another failed Easterly", "The winters of the 60's and 70's were so much better" etc.

Is this run of milder winters a permanent thing, as some seem to make out? I have no idea. There have been runs of mild winters before, so I guess it’s a question of when this particular pattern will end and bring some colder winters. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Is this run of milder winters a permanent thing, as some seem to make out? I have no idea. There have been runs of mild winters before, so I guess it’s a question of when this particular pattern will end and bring some colder winters. 

There's probably going to be another Ice Age eventually so I reckon not :D. In all seriousness though I wouldn't  be too concerned been as our most recent past cold Winter was only in 2013 which is still the recent past. I wouldn't class this Winter as mild thus far either and for all we know the best of it could be in the second half. The atmosphere doesn't seem to be working against us so much this Winter either so all to play for. Besides from that some speculate that the quieting Sun might work in our favour over the next decade or more perhaps so that's something to pin our hopes on, though as ever I'd advise cautiously as the weather will do whatever it does without a thought for whatever, whoever speculates. :)

• Like 1

Posted

I must be the only person not wanting snow next week. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a coldie and love it, but I’m flying out of Heathrow on Friday and it doesn’t take much to shut the operation down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

lovin this quiet cool calm weather, perfect winter for me.

• Like 3

Posted

Surely next week's set up should bro g us more in the way of snow than the previous set up back in December.

Pretty much right time of the year for next week's set up.

Then after..............very interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers,cold winters with plenty of snow.

Sick of seeing charts that show great wintry potential at day 10,think we need to bring ceefax back,then we can stare at Lerwick on the 5 day forecasts again for downward temp trends ,used to always come off for us down the N Yorks coast (currently snowstarved this winter?)

Great forum guys,ill stick to reading over posting. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
10 hours ago, knocker said:

The ecm this morning has an intense little depression that has formed in the southern quadrant of the main trough to the west 968mb north Irish sea at T132. This could bring heavy rain and gales as it crosses the country in the next 12 hours.

This post makes no sense whatsoever ??

Posted

This thing will last a week, Wales/Stockport and most of Scotland will be under metres of snow,  could have 5 days of continuous heavy snow, suppose only fair though as NW areas missed out on 10th Dec

ECM1-120.GIF?11-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

how so - gfs has a covering progged for the south west too

Could I ask you to save the image and then upload it, rather than linking directly to the said image? All of them you have posted today, have broken the mobile pages that they're on. Also, they will not be the latest images if anyone is reading them tomorrow, or beyond.