Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

You have to go right up to Norway and Sweden to find any real cold. Europe is just not cold enough

Look at saltzburg in Austria +12c this coming Wednesday. No hope for us  next week...

Posted
1 hour ago, clactongaz said:

You have to go right up to Norway and Sweden to find any real cold. Europe is just not cold enough

Look at saltzburg in Austria +12c this coming Wednesday. No hope for us  next week...

True, but wasn't most of Europe very mild in the run up to that epic January 1987 big freeze, whilst Scandinavia was intensively cold?  Not that I'm suggesting any such big freeze is on the way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I posted this on the SE thread earlier, how about that for an easterly on Monday, there have been colder easterlies in September and even in June!!! Yup, +6/+7c uppers moving in. And this is meant to be the coldest time of the year? Pile of Bailloooux:D.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

18010818_0618.gif

Edited by snowray

Posted

Looking at the EPS mean 850mb temps and streamlines it's good to see that although the high is centred over Finland at the end of the week the the CAA is on it's eastern flank and the really cold air is restricted to being  no further west than western Russia. Thereafter everything drifts east. :shok:

Edited by knocker

Posted
17 minutes ago, knocker said:

Looking at the EPS mean 850mb temps and streamlines it's good to see that although the high is centred over Finland at the end of the week the the CAA is on it's eastern flank and the really cold air is restricted to being  no further west than western Russia. Thereafter everything drifts east. :shok:

Whys that good to see?

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

Well I would have thought that keeping the cold air 'locked' up in the east was a Sunday morning bonus.

Okay dokey...

thanks for clarifying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

id have thought the hinted at progression of these charts would give coldies some hope. pressure building to our north, the mean upper atlantic trough heading south, jet stream heading south for iberia... i dont like the cold but for what its worth id have thought chances of a prolonged proper cold spell later this month are pretty promising. its not looking mild to me anyway.

814day.032.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a beautiful winters Sunday morning,gin clear blue sky,frost on the ground,lovely fresh breeze......perfect walking day! (with shorts on of course!):)

• Like 1

Posted

Big flip in Jetstream profile across USA is forecast later this week.

There could be some record high temps to quite high latitudes where it's recently been bitterly cold.

What effect might this have on UK?

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, clactongaz said:

Aren't there southerly winds blowing in that region and isn't Salzburg on the lee side of the Alps and therefore susceptible to the föhn effect.  

Posted

I can't help feel the high pressure to the east is playing for a sucker, again. Too many times, its been there dangling a carrot and delivers nothing.

Take the second half of January 2014, will it or won't it? In the end nowt.

NOAA_1_2014012918_1.png

Start of January 2016, the carrot was dangled after the December spring of 2015 and it delivered nowt

CFSR_1_2016010200_1.png

February 2015

CFSR_1_2015021518_1.png

Remember the end of February 2007 and GFS were hinting of an easterly and one ECM op run went for it as well?

CFSR_1_2007022306_1.png

Then there was January 2006

CFSR_1_2006012218_1.png

We shall see but it could end up chewing up a lot of January for nothing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

These computer models remind me of certain ladies on the streets, "Use your imagination ducky and I'll be whoever you want me to be. ":D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
37 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

These computer models remind me of certain ladies on the streets, "Use your imagination ducky and I'll be whoever you want me to be. ":D

gfs is a major tart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
58 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I can't help feel the high pressure to the east is playing for a sucker, again. Too many times, its been there dangling a carrot and delivers nothing.

Take the second half of January 2014, will it or won't it? In the end nowt.

NOAA_1_2014012918_1.png

Start of January 2016, the carrot was dangled after the December spring of 2015 and it delivered nowt

CFSR_1_2016010200_1.png

February 2015

CFSR_1_2015021518_1.png

Remember the end of February 2007 and GFS were hinting of an easterly and one ECM op run went for it as well?

CFSR_1_2007022306_1.png

Then there was January 2006

CFSR_1_2006012218_1.png

We shall see but it could end up chewing up a lot of January for nothing.

I feel this January is like that as well, OK it's cold and frosty but this current easterly is still toothless. Would be nice to get a proper beast from the East again instead of half baked attempts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
9 minutes ago, andymusic said:

i'm quite enjoying the current easterly - got me shorts on and the bbq is at the ready for sunday lunch - it's really lacking some BITE

Oh really, post the video up on YouTube as proof? I've been out a few times today and it feels god damn cold out there, especially in the wind. Short weather it ain't! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 hours ago, snowray said:

I posted this on the SE thread earlier, how about that for an easterly on Monday, there have been colder easterlies in September and even in June!!! Yup, +6/+7c uppers moving in. And this is meant to be the coldest time of the year? Pile of Bailloooux:D.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

18010818_0618.gif

January over rated cold month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Got to say guys , this winter may not of delivered for some places this winter but the model thread has been the best since i joined back in jan 2009. i also think their is more to come.

Thanks all

Foz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
27 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

January over rated cold month

I prefer to see cold in Dec or Jan though, even Feb is turning more and more into an early spring month these days and more often than not the cold charts turn up in Springtime when no-one wants them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
13 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Can someone point me right direction meto update please on here

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcpvj0v07#?date=2018-01-07

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

January could be snowless for many, as this pain in the ass high to the east looks like staying, we end up on the 'mild side'

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Can someone point me right direction meto update please on here

This is the moaning thread Abbie, be careful, you will get reported for changing the subject!:rofl::laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
10 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1