Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

It is funny reading some suggestions like, nothing to look forward to, winter is over. Some seem to have forgotten what was being said way back in November. Quite large areas of England and Wales got several cm's of snow and several days of frosts. So what is so different now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It is funny reading some suggestions like, nothing to look forward to, winter is over. Some seem to have forgotten what was being said way back in November. Quite large areas of England and Wales got several cm's of snow and several days of frosts. So what is so different now?

Best here since 2012/13 cold season John. Trouble it’s getting rarer as the decades go by which is why some get despondent probably

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

The mind boggles John if some feel that  cold & snowy weather is the only thing in life worth looking forward to cometh the winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Selfishly I'm  thinking of my position as I'm out of the country most of January .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
7 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

The mind boggles John if some feel that  cold & snowy weather is the only thing in life worth looking forward to cometh the winter.

I do laugh out loud sometimes reading some posts in the mod-thread.

I can sometimes visualise, some literally having panic attacks-and becoming agrophobic locking themselves in, and going into boost negative mood... 

Because of a switch to a westerly regime and milder air in forecast...

I myself am of a cold persuation but mother nature is just that(fickle).

'However' it is an entertaining read at times???

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Well according to the woodland Trust John, Spring is on its way — four months early :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Looking increasingly likely that a milder than average January is on the cards with no signs of anything remotely cold ? Eastern North America get something nice for Xmas ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Well according to the woodland Trust John, Spring is on its way — four months early :shok:

I'll take that!

• Like 2

Posted

5 hours ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Sixth consecutive day of mist and drizzle, how anyone can love this mild gunk is beyond me. 

It's usable.  I agree that not seeing the sun for more than a week or so is depressing, but the mild and drizzly conditions are actually perfect at this time of year.

Posted
On 22/12/2017 at 07:34, Atleastitwillbemild said:

No. Frankly.

I've been watching the weather models for nearly 15 years and I can't count the times people on weather watching sites get all excited by the "gut feelings" they have about how its all "just different" this time of year and how "exciting" it is and how they "have a feeling that something is brewing" etc, etc. Let me tell you this now: 

Its never different. The only thing brewing in our grey, miserable autumnal winters are low after low after despicable, detestable Atlantic low pressure systems and days on end of damp, grey anti-cyclonic gloom. Once you've been watching weather for as long as I have that is the only "feeling" you'll learn to expect come winter. Its always the same. The odd year may come along about once a decade to buck the trend slightly. But the status quo has to bend so far out of place and stretch so far to the extreme, atmospherically, to even allow the possibility of it that any freak aberration from the norm is followed by 2 or 3 years of just as extreme zonal, Atlantic Hell as punishment and payback. 
Your "feeling" is based on nothing but naive wishful thinking, exposure to snowy scenes on Victorian Christmas cards you've been given at work and sentimental notions of how nice and lovely it would be. Trust me your "feeling" will soon be dashed to pieces very quickly and quite thoroughly by the stark reality of just how truly sh*t this miserably island's climate is. 

Stick around. You'll learn. 

I'm a mild fan, and that even depresses me.  Did you really join the forum just to try to anger cold fans?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It's usable.  I agree that not seeing the sun for more than a week or so is depressing, but the mild and drizzly conditions are actually perfect at this time of year.

Thats like saying cool and drizzle is perfect for the peak holiday season in July! This is Winter,a season of cold,having such weather at this time of year really ruins Christmas, Also very unhealthy both for us and the environment,the cold and frost is a required cycle.

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Thats like saying cool and drizzle is perfect for the peak holiday season in July! This is Winter,a season of cold,having such weather at this time of year really ruins Christmas, Also very unhealthy both for us and the environment,the cold and frost is a required cycle.

Required by what or whom?  Most areas had cold weather (if not snowy) earlier in the month to reduce the likelihood of problems with insects next summer, so any reset has already taken place.  It's our default winter anyway.  Comparing mild drizzle in January to the same conditions in July confuses me, as the tourist industry needs warm, bright weather at that time of year, as do farmers. 

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
7 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

me too teits.

Same age as you and i posted about the death of the winter easterly yesterday.

January now looks horrendous -

well the 1st half of it, theres no way in hell we will see a scandy high with the jet this strong, zonal wind speeds are primed to go through the roof.

Its so sad, the period you mentioned was indeed a great period to be young at least we got to enjoy what -10 uppers and heavy snow showers was like- quite regularly!

Must have been great at your elevation back then

looks like another slider again,maybe your get lucky this time ,you missed out last one,even if it looks like milder weather returning again afterwards:closedeyes:

No -10s hpa  or lower looking likely as we head towards jan AGAIN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
7 hours ago, TEITS said:

Dreadful output this morning. The glimmer of hope I had yesterday morning has well and truly faded.

Im 46 yrs old and I fondly remember the winters between 78-87 as living in E Anglia they were incredible. The mid winter E,ly has certainly become extinct.This is one of the main reasons why I dismissed the predictions of the Scandi HP from some members because our recent history suggested otherwise.

ay, but dont forget, those winters werent the norm, i was young but dont recall such winters after '63, and the early 70's were pretty mild and snowless.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, johnholmes said:

maybe they think a strong atlantic jet thats due is something that historically is hard to shift, so history suggests a proper cold spell is unlikely?

but then we had 2013....

Posted
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

maybe they think a strong atlantic jet thats due is something that historically is hard to shift, so history suggests a proper cold spell is unlikely?

but then we had 2013....

I'm convinced that at least the first half of January is going to be zonal, and I'm taking a punt in the CET competition that the same will be true of the second half, but I wouldn't want to try to predict February...

Posted
54 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Required by what or whom?  Most areas had cold weather (if not snowy) earlier in the month to reduce the likelihood of problems with insects next summer, so any reset has already taken place.  It's our default winter anyway.  Comparing mild drizzle in January to the same conditions in July confuses me, as the tourist industry needs warm, bright weather at that time of year, as do farmers. 

You've lost me,sorry. You said it's perfect weather for Christmas,which it isn't,i just pointed out the same reverse statement that cool(not Mild as you said) and drizzle,the opposite of what would be perfect in July is not what is required. As for the reset,you have got to be kidding! No where near that has  taken place,I've still got slugs roaming my garden! It takes more than a little drop in temps to do that i'm afraid.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

You've lost me,sorry. You said it's perfect weather for Christmas,which it isn't,i just pointed out the same reverse statement that cool(not Mild as you said) and drizzle,the opposite of what would be perfect in July is not what is required. As for the reset,you have got to be kidding! No where near that has  taken place,I've still got slugs roaming my garden! It takes more than a little drop in temps to do that i'm afraid.

I think we'd better leave this - you evidently can't understand my point and I certainly can't understand yours.  Anyway, we're going O/T even for this thread, I think.:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'll take that!

Chris, been great all afternoon here, felt warm, with clear blue skies, how anyone can want wind and rain over this is unbelievable!

was a great day to take my 92 year old Nan out for a little walk!

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Chris, been great all afternoon here, felt warm, with clear blue skies, how anyone can want wind and rain over this is unbelievable!

was a great day to take my 92 year old Nan out for a little walk!

It was grey, cool and misty here, not as pleasant, but still fine for 92 year-olds!:D

Posted
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm convinced that at least the first half of January is going to be zonal, and I'm taking a punt in the CET competition that the same will be true of the second half, but I wouldn't want to try to predict February...

tbh thats pretty much  a cert imho.. the question is though, how long will that pattern last? 

Posted
19 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think we'd better leave this - you evidently can't understand my point and I certainly can't understand yours.  Anyway, we're going O/T even for this thread, I think.:oops:

That's fine,better leave it as you say. You evidently can't understand my poin.....not going there,sorry if i offended  you in any way.It's only weather after all!:)

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's fine,better leave it as you say. You evidently can't understand my poin.....not going there,sorry if i offended  you in any way.It's only weather after all!:)

No offence, just confusion on my part.