Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
55 minutes ago, knocker said:

It's good to see my status has been raised this morning to, "sad old thing". :closedeyes:

how dare us sad old things not revel in snow... i wonder why this is, maybe the offending poster will understand when they become a 'sad old thing'

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

how dare us sad old things not revel in snow... i wonder why this is, maybe the offending poster will understand when they become a 'sad old thing'

Aye mushy and I'd like to see these brash young things on a small ship in a F12 with 60-80 foot seas running. Sorts the men from the boys.:shok:

• Like 5

Posted

Dreadful output this morning. The glimmer of hope I had yesterday morning has well and truly faded.

Im 46 yrs old and I fondly remember the winters between 78-87 as living in E Anglia they were incredible. The mid winter E,ly has certainly become extinct.This is one of the main reasons why I dismissed the predictions of the Scandi HP from some members because our recent history suggested otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Yup heating off and even cracked a window last night. Crazy for late December.

I am thoroughly enjoying the lack of arguments over the thermostat!

Posted
16 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Dreadful output this morning. The glimmer of hope I had yesterday morning has well and truly faded.

Im 46 yrs old and I fondly remember the winters between 78-87 as living in E Anglia they were incredible. The mid winter E,ly has certainly become extinct.This is one of the main reasons why I dismissed the predictions of the Scandi HP from some members because our recent history suggested otherwise.

me too teits.

Same age as you and i posted about the death of the winter easterly yesterday.

January now looks horrendous -

well the 1st half of it, theres no way in hell we will see a scandy high with the jet this strong, zonal wind speeds are primed to go through the roof.

Its so sad, the period you mentioned was indeed a great period to be young at least we got to enjoy what -10 uppers and heavy snow showers was like- quite regularly!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Aye mushy and I'd like to see these brash young things on a small ship in a F12 with 60-80 foot seas running. Sorts the men from the boys.:shok:

Aye, until you’ve ventured onto the Cairngorm Plateau on a wild mid January day then you’ve no idea what cold and snow is.?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Aye, until you’ve ventured onto the Cairngorm Plateau on a wild mid January day then you’ve no idea what cold and snow is.?

Oh I don't know the Salisbury Plain in 63 gave me a pretty good idea.:80:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TEITS said:

Yes growing up same time as you,you almost expected one decent Easterly each winter.I can just about remember the snowfall beginning jan 79 carried on every winter till jan 87 then hardly one decent Easterly since.

Something has changed in our climate that it seems almost impossible to get mid-winter Easterly  when 30 years ago they were common nearly every winter.

And no sign of any Easterly as we head towards the coldest part of Winter.Think Jan87 will just be a memory never to be repeated again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Last night at 10 c was warmer than some nights in July this Year. Central heating off in prep for BBQ Xmas and NewYear.

TMW, not an unusual event from late Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Just looked at Toronto's weather , -4 and snow. If I was 30 years younger I'd be gone like a shot, , good summers, and seasonal  spring, autumn , winters, What's not to like.?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

me too teits.

Same age as you and i posted about the death of the winter easterly yesterday.

January now looks horrendous -

well the 1st half of it, theres no way in hell we will see a scandy high with the jet this strong, zonal wind speeds are primed to go through the roof.

Its so sad, the period you mentioned was indeed a great period to be young at least we got to enjoy what -10 uppers and heavy snow showers was like- quite regularly!

I'm younger, but TMW is here, everyone I know agrees and knows it, winters as a bairn were true winters

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Yes growing up same time as you,you almost expected one decent Easterly each winter.I can just about remember the snowfall beginning jan 79 carried on every winter till jan 87 then hardly one decent Easterly since.

Something has changed in our climate that it seems almost impossible to get mid-winter Easterly  when 30 years ago they were common nearly every winter.

And no sign of any Easterly as we head towards the coldest part of Winter.Think Jan87 will just be a memory never to be repeated again.

High pressure must have been drawn to a favourable position for easterly winter periods in that decade. Whereas over the past half century as a whole high pressure to the south of the Uk has become increasingly stronger

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm younger, but TMW is here, everyone I know agrees and knows it, winters as a bairn were true winters

Mate i have been looking at the forecasts for central europe over the next few days and i cannot believe what i am seeing-

Wroclaw South west Poland - tomorrow 10deg rain      christmas day 9 degress drizzle

Minsk Belarus tomorrow 5 degrees sleet             christmas day 5 degrees drizzle

Kiev Ukraine tomorrow 5degrees and rain christmas day 7 degrees and rain

Thats a reflection of how mild Europe is 

I can assure you (having roots in Poland) that is crazily mild, so yes, winters are not what they were, even as far east as that!!

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Mate i have been looking at the forecasts for central europe over the next few days and i cannot believe what i am seeing-

Wroclaw South west Poland - tomorrow 10deg rain      christmas day 9 degress drizzle

Minsk Belarus tomorrow 5 degrees sleet             christmas day 5 degrees drizzle

Kiev Ukraine tomorrow 5degrees and rain christmas day 7 degrees and rain

Thats a reflection of how mild Europe is 

I can assure you (having roots in Poland) that is crazily mild, so yes, winters are not what they were, even as far east as that!!

good! shows it's not only us

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

good! shows it's not only us

nope it is not!

You have to go a long way east to find cold this christmas- as far east as moscow  to find cold weather, and even there temps are forecast to go above freezing next week and struggle to get below freezing at night- thats just plain ridiculous!!

By this time next week you will have to go as far east as mongolia to find freezing weather!!

Posted

Easterlies just gone in the christmas pudding, especially in Feb, which is barely a winter month now, even northerlies, less cold than they were before 2000

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I think its down to them zonal winds being somewhat stronger in mid winter than they used to be, once they get going there's no stopping them, so end result is less northern blocking, more zonal weather and the HP ends up over Europe generally instead of around Iceland/Scandi. I am probably being very simplistic I know, but where have the long periods of cold HP gone, with freezing fog and frosts and bitter cold, I remember a week or two of this sort of weather at times when I was growing up, these HP's quite often shifted north and ended up bringing in an easterly with snow flurries. 

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Arkhangelsk in January is pretty darn cold too , it's beginning to look like a bust and   I see nothing to look forward to weather wise  :nonono:

• Thanks 1

Arkhangelsk in January is pretty darn cold too , it's beginning to look like a bust and   I see nothing to look forward to weather wise  :nonono:

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think its down to them zonal winds being somewhat stronger in mid winter than they used to be, once they get going there's no stopping them, so end result is less northern blocking, more zonal weather and the HP ends up over Europe generally instead of around Iceland/Scandi. I am probably being very simplistic I know, but where have the long periods of cold HP gone, with freezing fog and frosts and bitter cold, I remember a week or two of this sort of weather at times when I was growing up, these HP's quite often shifted north and ended up bringing in an easterly with snow flurries. 

Best way to keep it simple thinking. The trouble is with complex thinking how much of it is accurate?

• Like 1