Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looks like we might have to wait for LIA2 before we see a decent winter!:cold::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

We were always going to get a spell of Atlantic weather with a more organised PV towards Greenland at some time as we haven't experienced this so far this autumn and early winter but sadly looks right in time for Xmas...question is how long will it last? recent winters have suggested right through to March.

Give us strength if this happens...

2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

We were always going to get a spell of Atlantic weather with a more organised PV towards Greenland at some time as we haven't experienced this so far this autumn and early winter but sadly looks right in time for Xmas...question is how long will it last? recent winters have suggested right through to March.

Most likely scenario followed by a cool April and May .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Ay, don't rate Jan and Feb in the christmas pudding, changed to Atlantic months since around '99

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Seeing as every year is different, let's not panic. I wouldn't be surprised to see something more akin to the time of year pop up within the next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Disappointing charts for a lot of us looking for seasonal cold weather for Christmas.The ens outputs over the last few days have trended more and more to a flat Atlantic jet in spite of some recent GFS op runs showing some lovely Wintery outcomes later in the month.

I know they have their critics but the ens mean charts along with the clusters are our best guide to check whether the operational runs are outliers beyond the reliable.They can change but they are much less volatile than the later frames of the operational charts and if viewed regularly you can usually spot a trend.

Anyway let's hope that this westerly pattern can throw up the odd surprise as there's cold just to our north to tap into if we can see some re-newed buckling of the jet.

• Like 1

Posted

If that 16-30 MetO forecast tomorrow evening still indicates snow before week 4 anywhere other than Pennines+mountains, I will eat my hat.  I'm just totally mystified by the stubbornness of it.  What in the holy hell are they seeing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, markyo said:

A snow free Christmas ideal?.....oh dear you southern softies are getting worse!:D......Not like us up North,we can take anything thrown at us,do we EVER moan about the weather!? As if we would....:nonono:

Yes, a snow-free Christmas is my ideal. Am quite happy with cold, sunny, frosty...but no snow until after Christmas Day. If any of you are an airline or airport employee like I am, you'll probably agree. Of course, if the currently rather shambolic UK infrastructure ever manages to deal with snowfall effectively, bring on Christmas snow! This winter so far (all 2 weeks of it) has been very different to recent disappointing (for coldies) efforts, so I'm not sure a completely normal period of Atlantic weather warrants panic and despair just yet. It is mid December, not mid February. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ay, don't rate Jan and Feb in the christmas pudding, changed to Atlantic months since around '99

You are awful, but I like you!

Dick emery fans only:rofl:

Posted

BBC's John Hammond (cold ramper) still saying don't give up on cold at Christmas just yet as there are still 9 days to go which is a fairly long time in weather terms and there have been so many ups & downs recently!

But, even he did look a bit deflated yesterday - wishful thinking me thinks?

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

As long as it's mostly dry this week I'll be happy, at least I'll get some work done, and earn some money:D

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

BBC's John Hammond (cold ramper) still saying don't give up on cold at Christmas just yet as there are still 9 days to go which is a fairly long time in weather terms and there have been so many ups & downs recently!

But, even he did look a bit deflated yesterday - wishful thinking me thinks?

Good old John Hammond. :) 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

People need to cheer up. We have the amplified MJO wave we wanted and it has gotten into phase 7/8 in the forecasts at good strength but we were always going to have a tough period due to it having gone through phases 4-5 first and their been a lag.

Hold your course, I'm still optimistic for the first half of January personally (even some hints as to why at a northern hemisphere level). 

• Like 1

Posted

here's the boring version-

the american navy model is not considered amongst the most reliable of models. therefore gleaning hope from it would be rather futile. after some recent maritime incidents involving the US Navy, their navigational equipment has come into question. i would therefore, not hold much faith in the accuracy of their weather model.

is that better?

Posted

Hope we can get a decent cold spell in January,even it’s a only a week.Can hardly remember a really severe cold spell in Jan,since 1987;only Jan 2010 springs to mind.

What a joke jan has become since 87 lot of the younger members here would never have experienced jan 1987

Remember walking on the South Downs on the afternoon of Mon 12th Jan with temp hovering at -10c ,wish I could find photos .Never come close to anything in Jan since :(

Posted

Looks like another mild Christmas Day with the bane of recent Xmases tropical maritime air flooding over the south. Christmas Day itself seems to be remarkably unlucky with lack of snow even in Dec 2010 and Dec 1981 the severely cold snowy month had nearly run out of steam by the day itself. We have to go back to Dec 1970 (I think from the top of my head) for a classic snow falling and settling fairytale day in the south of the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Hope we can get a decent cold spell in January,even it’s a only a week.Can hardly remember a really severe cold spell in Jan,since 1987;only Jan 2010 springs to mind.

What a joke jan has become since 87 lot of the younger members here would never have experienced jan 1987

Remember walking on the South Downs on the afternoon of Mon 12th Jan with temp hovering at -10c ,wish I could find photos .Never come close to anything in Jan since :(

Feb is just as bad, hardly any beasterlies in the christmas pudding, used to guarantee biting easterlies in Feb before late 90's

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Feb is just as bad, hardly any beasterlies in the christmas pudding, used to guarantee biting easterlies in Feb before late 90's

Yet that’s true as well,even though we have had easterlies after 90s ,they just don’t seem to be so cold as before .

With rapid melting of any snow ,at least at sea level.

Posted
39 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Yet that’s true as well,even though we have had easterlies after 90s ,they just don’t seem to be so cold as before .

With rapid melting of any snow ,at least at sea level.

The east is cold, much colder than before , it's the north that's scorching hot

Posted

Glad to see Knocker has resolved his technical issues.

Interesting 12z from the ECM EPS. I don't usually bother with beyond T240, but one wonders if a cooler zonal flow going towards the month end is likely.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Broken zimmer ?? :rofl:

Maybe have some respect or if you can't, go back to the sandpit and play with your soldiers.

Its not like you have anything to say in regards to models anyway.