Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

This cold spell has been nothing down here,in fact for a lot of the South,,only a couple of hours of snow falling Monday morning,nothing on the ground.

Might as well have normal winter weather,warmer rain is better than cold rain.

Looks like a long wait for a proper cold spell,looking at the model output this morning.

Lets hope the experts in the model thread are correct when they say they expect big changes in the output at the end of the year.

Yes, back to clutching at straws!

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

This cold spell has been nothing down here,in fact for a lot of the South,,only a couple of hours of snow falling Monday morning,nothing on the ground.

Might as well have normal winter weather,warmer rain is better than cold rain.

Looks like a long wait for a proper cold spell,looking at the model output this morning.

Lets hope the experts in the model thread are correct when they say they expect big changes in the output at the end of the year.

Yes i can understand where your coming from, the midlands got the vast majority of the snow- at least i have had 3 or 4 days of lying snow- for the south its been a poor show.

In truth its not been great here although we have had a few frosts- 

Really don't want to see a zonal pattern setting up but i fear thats exactly where we are heading ..:nonono:

Posted
40 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

O god i hope not, at least plenty of peeps have seen snow/lying snow this Dec :)

Hardly any down South NWS!

And, what are the chances of a repeat snow event?

Pretty slim I would guess!

Posted
1 minute ago, snowblizzard said:

I know SB :(

Its been mainly PM stuff so OK for midlands northwards but not a great setup for the south- 

I cant see anything (gfs aside) in the 00z NWP to suggest any blocking where we need it for deep prolonged cold.

I was really optimistic yesterday evening but i was a balloon (which no doubt some would say i am) then it feels like ecm has stuck a big fat pin in me this morning- deflated would be the best description!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
7 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

I live about 30 miles north of London in Hertfordshire . We had 4 inches of snow last Sunday . And it stayed around for 3days . It was snowing this morning aswell when I left for work a covering on the van . That is the most snow I have had since 2010 . I make it a really good start to winter , better than the last few years ?. But suppose it's all IMBY prospective isn't it ? ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not sure all the moaning is warranted this morning. Compare December weather in recent years to this one. So far, we've had several potent northerlies which have given many areas of the UK either falling snow, settling snow or both. Even my area, 4 miles from Heathrow, saw 1.5 days of lying snow. That's rare as hens teeth in December. Ok, parts of the S didn't see much snow but we all know that won't happen until we get an E'ly. In the meantime, we might see a few weeks of slightly milder weather, which is the norm for us in NW Europe. A snow free Christmas is ideal, no awful transport chaos or dramas trying to use crappy British roads. After that....there's January and February to come, the months where the vast majority of cold and snowy weather occurs. Plenty to be positive about, imho! 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not sure all the moaning is warranted this morning. Compare December weather in recent years to this one. So far, we've had several potent northerlies which have given many areas of the UK either falling snow, settling snow or both. Even my area, 4 miles from Heathrow, saw 1.5 days of lying snow. That's rare as hens teeth in December. Ok, parts of the S didn't see much snow but we all know that won't happen until we get an E'ly. In the meantime, we might see a few weeks of slightly milder weather, which is the norm for us in NW Europe. A snow free Christmas is ideal, no awful transport chaos or dramas trying to use crappy British roads. After that....there's January and February to come, the months where the vast majority of cold and snowy weather occurs. Plenty to be positive about, imho! 

Agree SB, but I just have a feeling that now we've lost most of that brilliant High Latitude Blocking (-NAO & -AO) it's difficult to see such a favourable pattern returning during the next few weeks!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looks like the weather is going to ruin Christmas again!.......good job i don't celebrate xmas at all.!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Don't you worry guys, January has potential :D

Seriously though, this winter will probably be worse then 16/17 here in central Europe.

But the building blocks have overbalanced!:crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

As a reformed cold fan who is now a mild lover, I'm pleased that there is no sign of any cold weather in the models, and even @Tamara is now warning that a zonal La Nina winter is more likely than it seemed a week or so ago (though she isn't saying that it's definitely going to take that route).  My only slight concern is that a very stormy set-up heading into the New Year may cause problems for some just after Christmas which isn't nice, but otherwise I'm very pleased.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Modified to avoid confusion or inadvertent misrepresentation.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But the building blocks have overbalanced!:crazy:

I'm very positive that once April hits, the building blocks will deliver.

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

What an absolute joke of a climate we have in the uk.

At least those in the south get the compensation of warm summers...

Not only UK anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Just seen the GFS 12z run myself. The chance of it bringing us some hope and pulling the Azores loving ECM along with it are quickly dying...

I don't think a joint effort from every choir in the country singing Let it Go will save us now...