Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
13 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

whats not to like about a good snowfall?.... days of slush or ice, the cold, the cold, THE COLD... high heating bills, dangerous roads and footpaths, being stuck inside unable to work or metal detect.  the fall itself is fun, and for a couple of hours after its finished. then though its just a vile frozen/wet mess. :p

Oh the banter....love it:D Suppose us young ones just appreciate the snow more!:) Must be harder for you old folk......:D Only joking,it actually is harder for older folk,not fun at all. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Well the snow was lovely  a lovely day sledging  snowballs with the young lad.  Now Monday starts  its become a nightmare  couldnt drive the car  had to catch the bus  freezing in the office  freezing outside ( currently - 2 )   Schools Closed   still a foot of snow     and my wollyhat has a hole in it.     next Time we have a slider  it can North Or south of here for me.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The very unexpected snow falling and accumulating throughout yesterday here was fun. Today though....an utterly vile, freezing, sleety wet mess. Bring back a nice sunny northerly please, or a clear high as this is worse than even the usual wet, mild crap. Tomorrow looks nice, thankfully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Ive seen a few media outlets saying yesterdays snow disruption was caused by Storm Caroline. This isnt strictly true is it? We had a cold air mass in the wake of the storm but the ppn was brought in from that Greenland slider low?

Posted
1 hour ago, birdman said:

Ive seen a few media outlets saying yesterdays snow disruption was caused by Storm Caroline. This isnt strictly true is it? We had a cold air mass in the wake of the storm but the ppn was brought in from that Greenland slider low?

Indirectly. Caroline initiated the synoptics which established a cold pool of air over the UK. This was essentially in place when the complex Canadian low and associated fronts arrived over the UK,  driven by a strong thermal gradient (strong jet) which dumped the snow along the northern edge of the warm air (front). Slider low is a very misleading term IMO and not official meteorological terminology

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

Indirectly. Caroline initiated the synoptics which established a cold pool of air over the UK. This was essentially in place when the complex Canadian low and associated fronts arrived over the UK,  driven by a strong thermal gradient (strong jet) which dumped the snow along the northern edge of the warm air (front). Slider low is a very misleading term IMO and not official meteorological terminology

Thanks for that clarification, very helpful ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Actually Chris, was confused but realised you had no snow, only cold rain! if it was me, I'd be thinking the same, agree, rather 13 degrees even if wet, than 3C and wet

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 hours ago, weirpig said:

Well the snow was lovely  a lovely day sledging  snowballs with the young lad.  Now Monday starts  its become a nightmare  couldnt drive the car  had to catch the bus  freezing in the office  freezing outside ( currently - 2 )   Schools Closed   still a foot of snow     and my wollyhat has a hole in it.     next Time we have a slider  it can North Or south of here for me.    

still don't understand why schools close because it snows?

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Xmas week coming along nicely

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_61.thumb.png.c544162849a24cd9599415e6848a314b.png

To be honest, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Cornwall's a little warmer than usual but no one will care much about that - it'll probably be blowing a gale and raining from dawn to dusk.

Plenty of cooler than average values out there and perhaps indicative of some blocking.

Much of England at or around average values.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

That graphic is just totally wrong. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the SW has nothing like that much.

Yep there's nothing here in the extreme SE either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 hours ago, markyo said:

Oh the banter....love it:D Suppose us young ones just appreciate the snow more!:) Must be harder for you old folk......:D Only joking,it actually is harder for older folk,not fun at all. 

I think we do, although I went for a walk with my 82 year old grandfather in the snow today who loved every minute of it. Slushy, icy ground? Just look where you're walking, he says. Cold? Wear proper layers, he says. Dodgy roads? Just drive safely and use your common sense, he says.

If only everybody in this country could be the same!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If only we could somehow filter out all the bad news (a bit like what the Express does with Brexit?:oops:) we could all kid ourselves that Snowmageddon is always only just round the corner?:D

Oh. Hang on!:santa-emoji:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.

IMG_3279.thumb.PNG.5a28fbf4985fa140537b25612cdb95f5.PNG

Would somebody be able to give the link to these UKMO extended maps please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, Snowy Hibbo said:

IMG_3279.thumb.PNG.5a28fbf4985fa140537b25612cdb95f5.PNG

Would somebody be able to give the link to these UKMO extended maps please?

https://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

They update around 07:30 and 19:30 UK time

That is the only map available no 850's etc

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Loads of posts removed, this isn't and never has been a thread for criticising / digging at or even discussing other members. It's for model banter, moans and ramps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
41 minutes ago, Paul said:

Loads of posts removed, this isn't and never has been a thread for criticising / digging at or even discussing other members. It's for model banter, moans and ramps. 

cant we praise them?... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Nice chart! Mild, but dry and probably sunny. Since we've had virtually no snow here the cold won't be missed - seems almost pointless.

OABEShL1QriAIYmTkHSrDQ.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Looks like I returned from the dead just in time. Models are trying to push for the atypical winter pattern for the UK ala Mild and Wet...

Whilst even for my tastes, the last few days have been a tad too cold, I would prefer the average of 8-9 C or so, over double figures with cloud and dullness.

Having said that, the ECM was trying for the same thing for this week not long ago and it never got its way then.

Posted

After what seemed to be a promising start to winter, anyone else getting the feeling it is starting to go belly up already?  Very early days I know but don't like the trends emerging........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Don said:

After what seemed to be a promising start to winter, anyone else getting the feeling it is starting to go belly up already?  Very early days I know but don't like the trends emerging........

yes, could be like 2010-2011, Mid Nov to Mid Dec seem to see a break in the Atlantic at times, but after that, especially Jan is all westerly, Feb is also, and somehow dosen't seem as cold as Dec if we have a cold setup

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, could be like 2010-2011, Mid Nov to Mid Dec seem to see a break in the Atlantic at times, but after that, especially Jan is all westerly, Feb is also, and somehow dosen't seem as cold as Dec if we have a cold setup

Might get some cold snaps in March and April!  However, at least many (not me) have experienced their biggest snowfall in five years that didn't vanish within a few hours.